Modern Defense Pistol's (MDP's)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I think HK pioneered the concept of the MDP with the USP. It's a larger than standard duty with enhanced range and mission capability. For HD A light and laser make effective hits almost too easy. Add a Red Dot and you are in Unlimited Class IPSC IDPA territory which means you can hit faster, easier and further. A hand PDW more than a sidearm. Now we are seeing Rails and Optic Ready as factory standard 1-200yds with a handgun isn't crazy talk any more. Add 357sig, 10mm and 460 Roland and now we are next level. Even in 9&45 these are a step beyond older Service Pistols. The Ruger American Competition is a perfect candidate. If they made a 6" threaded version you could even add hunting and a silencer to it's list of capabilities!!! This is my Poly 80/Glock 22 with the 40 barrel installed and my Beretta.

Attachments

• IMG_20230513_124545838.jpg
    IMG_20230513_124545838.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20230513_124436620.jpg
    IMG_20230513_124436620.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

Mike J

Hunter
It doesn't have an optic cut but when the Ruger American Pistol hadn't been out very long I bought one of the standard versions for my wife. When we got married she had "her" gun. A Taurus model 85. I asked if she had shot it. She said she had not so I got her to come out with me & shoot it. She didn't like the recoil. I bought her the American because I thought a full sized 9mm would make recoil manageable for her. It is too large for her to carry but it makes a good home defense option.
The American never really became really popular but it is a good pistol with plenty of capacity.
She pretty much lost interest in it after I got her the S&W Shield 380 EZ though.

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
The original 0-200 Offensive Handgun :)

Hits at 200 with .357 are possible, 100 yard hits are easy. Thumb cock when it's far away, pull the trigger when it's close.

The HK USP was designed for Spec Ops forces as an "in betweener" to a pistol and a SMG

Nowadays it seems every pistol is cut for a red dot . Soon we'll have even smaller red dots that will have batteries with 30 year life , and the sight will be some kind of holographic dot that hovers above the slide with no need for glass.

20230520_132826.jpg

dhains1963

Single-Sixer
When we used m16 in the service short bursts were definitely more accurate that full auto. Not the same thing but kind of the same principle.

Some where on my YouTube channel is me shooting a Glock 18... big waste of ammo.
Most are. I remember playing with Mac 11's back in the 80's. I would set up 5 targets at about 7-10yds. On full auto I could empty them both in a few seconds with a few random hits on each while on semi I could get 60rnds off in about 12-16 seconds with 58 out of 60 hits reasonably distributed. There's a difference between a Sub Machine Gun and a Machine Pistol. A properly setup sub gun is capable of exceptional and accurate performance while the other is just a bullet hose.

Just my opinion: If I'm going to have(or think I'll need) a handgun such as this, I'm going with a folding stock PDW. This is just a personal opinion based on nothing that can be discussed on a public venue. Long ago and far away the next step beyond a Browning Hi-Power was a Swedish K ( S&W 76). It was very good logic in that environment but obviously not applicable in present society.

For me I can wear a jacket over a solid 200yd and under package and almost 100rnds of ammo. Speed and precision are the only significant factors in a shooting confrontation. Being concealed makes de-escalation a lot more likely. Sure there are situations where I would grab the Drag Bag and the 300 but I would probably grab this along with it. Since I was a Boy Scout I like to Be Prepared. I like to think I am equipped for most anything on the face of the planet short of armor and aircraft. Being able to effectively employ any of it is a whole next level. Making things as effective as they possibly can be makes being effective with them a lot easier. I suppose the easy question is if someone is holding your child in front of them with only the bridge of their nose up visible and their gun to your Wife/Childs head do you stand down or see dot shoot dot??? These modern setups eclipse my 1980/90's Unlimited Class IPSC gun the same way most modern 600cc crotch rockets eclipse my early 80's Formula 1 Bike. I'm trying to decide which plate I want for my Beretta because it's so much more inherently accurate than my Frankenglock which isn't a slouch. I might try to find a Witness Hunter in 10mm to set up. That would be my idea of perfection.

Armybrat

Buckeye
This is a tool I could consider for self defense on my back patio while grilling….

69F5A28A-4E03-42BB-8B7C-3F93BA91AFDB.jpeg

Mike J

Hunter
This is a tool I could consider for self defense on my back patio while grilling….

View attachment 24207
I have the PGO pump shotgun equivalent. Flies have been really bad this year.

I have the optic plate for the Beretta on the way. I'll run them side by side out to 200yds. If I can find a 5-6" 10mm CZ 75 clone to set up I think it'll be the perfect Enhanced Battle Pistol.