Scout rifle problem

Help Support Ruger Forum:

patrickjames

Single-Sixer
I was very excited to shoot my new Ruger Gunsite scout rifle but ran into a problem. When I shot the rifle It's super hard to lift the bolt handle. I Have to hold the rifle between my legs and use both hands to lift the bolt handle. I only use FACTORY loaded .308 ammo. I own 4 other Ruger model 77 rifle this is not normal. Any idea's what the problem might be?

SteelShooter

Single-Sixer
Strip and claen the gun and bolt, be certain to clean the chamber and remove any excess oil.
Then go out and get some other brand of ammo, name brand/good quality. Like Federal or Hornady and try that.

Were you seeing any excessive pressure signs with what you were shooting, what brand, bullet type and grain weigth?

If problem persists with new ammo, send gun back to Ruger pronto!

wunbe

Buckeye
If the extraction was so hard, the cases must show the stress! I would not fire anything in that rifle until I got a gunsmith to evaluate the problem. But don't let him mes with it, ship it back to Ruger.

wunbe

IrvJr

Single-Sixer
I had a Ruger RSI M77 rifle and it was really hard to open the bolt. I ended up stripping the bolt assembly (you can find instructions on the Ruger website) and found a shaving of metal stuck inside the bolt.

I cleaned and lubed everything and it ran fine.

Check the Ruger website and see if you can strip your rifle's bolt carefully to make sure nothing is stuck in there.

If that doesn't work I'd call ruger and have them check out the rifle.