Rusted SR1911-Ruger will not....edited...did replace my 1911

Help Support Ruger Forum:

6gun

Hunter
Well let us know when the gun comes back and how things turned out.

Mike J

Hunter
JPGLSG there have been numerous posts about this issue at 1911forum.com.
Here is a link to a thread over there about it. http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=422458

I haven't had any problems with my SR 1911 but I am watching it and making a point to keep the area under the grips oiled.

6gun

Hunter
Mike J said:
JPGLSG there have been numerous posts about this issue at 1911forum.com.
Here is a link to a thread over there about it. http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=422458

I haven't had any problems with my SR 1911 but I am watching it and making a point to keep the area under the grips oiled.

That is one abused gun, on your link that guy is really trying to pull the wool over somes eyes claiming its kept clean and well oiled :roll: it's been kept some place very damp by the looks of it, my guess around salt water, look how rusty the sights are can't blame those on Ruger, thems Novack sights, would like to hear the true story behind that one, he's not giving it just trying to claim it was well taken care of. :roll: :lol:

w5lx

Single-Sixer
6gun said:
That is one abused gun, on your link that guy is really trying to pull the wool over somes eyes claiming its kept clean and well oiled :roll: it's been kept some place very damp by the looks of it, my guess around salt water, look how rusty the sights are can't blame those on Ruger, thems Novack sights, would like to hear the true story behind that one, he's not giving it just trying to claim it was well taken care of. :roll: :lol:

6gun,
Where do you get all of these insightful revelations that you share with us? Were you there? Do you know for a fact that this guy mistreats his firearms? I thought the thread pretty much explained itself.......silly me! The rust problem on some SR1911's is widespread and is well-documented on several forums. Even Ruger has admitted to some owners that there is a problem and they are dealing with it. But thank you most of all for that surprising revelation about stainless steel firearms:
Well seeing as how Stainless don't rust, and I have stainless rugers from clear back in the 1970's and still no signs of rust....
I truly did not know that. You might want to send that statement to Ruger to straighten them out.
Regards,

6gun

Hunter
w5lx said:
6gun said:

6gun,
Where do you get all of these insightful revelations that you share with us? Were you there? Do you know for a fact that this guy mistreats his firearms? I thought the thread pretty much explained itself.......silly me! The rust problem on some SR1911's is widespread and is well-documented on several forums. Even Ruger has admitted to some owners that there is a problem and they are dealing with it. But thank you most of all for that surprising revelation about stainless steel firearms:
Well seeing as how Stainless don't rust, and I have stainless rugers from clear back in the 1970's and still no signs of rust....
I truly did not know that. You might want to send that statement to Ruger to straighten them out.
Regards,

Suppose you must have been there then if I wasn't I looked at the pictures obviously abused gun from the link to the 1911 site that particular pistol has been abused, explain the rusty Novak sights if it's a Ruger only problem, Ruger don't make the sights, these same sights are used by many other gun makers and no reports of rusting on their guns so what small clue does this give you? :idea:
Purhaps you have some revelations of your own you want to share of how Novak sights only rust when they are mounted on allegedly well taken care of Rugers. :lol:

toysoldier

Hunter
JPGLSG said:
I do know that if you use the same production equipment to mfg carbon steel and SS, the carbon will bond into the SS. It happens all the time with rollers and stamping machines. When we produce a SS item upon completion we PASSIVATE the SS to prevent any embedded carbon particals from showing up as rust spots ,like what looks on your 1911. The product we use is from Bradford Derustis Corp and it is called Wonder Gel, Stainless Steel Pickling Gel. It comes in really big qtys. or a 1 quart size. Easy as 1.2.3. (1) Simply apply the cleaner to the stainless steel surface. (2) Leave on for approx. 10 short minutes. (3) Rinse or wipe off thorougly with water and walla clean as new. It works on all kinds of SS, 304, 304L, 316, 316L. I have seen it work on some basket case guns. My 2.5 cents.

BINGO!

I think you hit the nail on the head. It sounds like one of Ruger's new employees didn't know to change the media after processing carbon steel. From 35 years of working with stainless steel surgical instruments, I know they CAN and DO rust. Basic training for instrument processing techs includes instruction on passivation of stainless instruments. We use a mild acid solution, either phosphoric or citric.
The pitting is typical of corrosion in stainless steel. An article in American Rifleman a number of years ago addressed this. In a comparison trial of carbon steel vs stainless, the carbon steel developed overall fine rust, while the stainless steel developed pitting corrosion. What's worse, the pitting was self-perpetuating. The electrolytic difference between the surrounding passivated surface and the corroded pit caused accelerated local corrosion, leading to component failure.
It seems to me that Ruger could easily fix the problem by sending the frame back through the finishing process, blasting it with clean media and re-passivating the surface.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Remember you did not buy a hand-finished Python, you bought a Ruger. The specs for finish may well have been met at the bench, as the "rust" you note was in a covered area.

Toysoldier hit it with the passivation comments, the pics to me looked like poor passivation of the free ferrites on the surface.
I'd ask for a new frame or ask Ruger to pay for real passivation and finishing at Robar or a gunsmith of your choice. And reference this thread in your PAPER latter to Mike Fifer.

Mike J

Hunter
toysoldier said:
It seems to me that Ruger could easily fix the problem by sending the frame back through the finishing process, blasting it with clean media and re-passivating the surface.

I believe that is what they are doing. I saw a post on another forum from a guy who had sent his SR 1911 back to Ruger because of this issue. He was upset when he got it back because the frame looked duller than it had originally. I guess maybe they used a different media than they do in production when the tech re-blasted it. They were getting him to send it back again since he wasn't happy with it. To be honest I believe I would have been fine with how it looked. I am just trying to keep an eye on mine as I would really not have to deal with any of these issues.

6gun

Hunter
Is possable Ruger using a lower grade of stainless making these SR1911's then they are revolvers ? I've had all of my Ruger revolvers just soaking wet for hours out in the rain and snow hunting or carrying and never any sign of rust on them.

JPGLSG

Blackhawk
6Gun....Again I am no expert. SS is SS it is either 304 or 316 with or with out the L. If they are using the same meida to blast the SS as the do the Grade 70 Carbon. They are wiping their azzes on a hoops. There will be no end to the carbon particals being blown into the surface of the SS and no end to the rust particals showing up. Does anyone know if Ruger uses two distinct production lines, carbon and stainless. Again we had had so much trouble at HT we have set a SS production area only.

toysoldier

Hunter
I think that Ruger's success may be to blame. With production ramped up and new hires working, a production slip-up could easily occur. If the blasting media were contaminated, the problem might not show up until the product is out of the factory. What's important is how Ruger deals with this.

mapwd1702

Bearcat
besides the fact that the news about the gun was published in a gun mag. before Ruger was even producing the guns, which they do not do as a rule. So demand was through the roof by the time they started hitting store shelves. That is why they were so hard to get initially. At least that is what a Ruger rep. said on Tom Gresham's Gun Talk radio show awhile back. So it is understandable that there are some screw ups, just didn't think I would get 2 guns with the same condition! the Commander was manufactured in Jan. 2013, my full size gun was built in Oct. 2012.

6gun

Hunter
JPGLSG said:
6Gun....Again I am no expert. SS is SS it is either 304 or 316 with or with out the L. If they are using the same meida to blast the SS as the do the Grade 70 Carbon. They are wiping their azzes on a hoops. There will be no end to the carbon particals being blown into the surface of the SS and no end to the rust particals showing up. Does anyone know if Ruger uses two distinct production lines, carbon and stainless. Again we had had so much trouble at HT we have set a SS production area only.

Thats a good question and could be the root of the whole problem if they are running cabon and stainless on the same line, only Ruger or someone working there could say, I was under the impression it was a unshared line for the SR1911 production, I remember Ruger anousing they were add more lines for the 1911 a couple years ago like they were all being produced in there own seperate area and line, but who knows.

mapwd1702

Bearcat
So I got a call from Ruger today and they cannot refinish the gun, so they are sending me a new one. I had to give them my FFL info so they could ship it out. Fingers crossed that this gun is good to go.