Rusted SR1911-Ruger will not....edited...did replace my 1911

Help Support Ruger Forum:

5of7

Hunter
I don't think it is the fact that you had a problem that looks silly, it is the reaction to a problem that most people would have relegated to the 'not worth worrying about' pile.

Also, I am sure that Ruger keeps a record of any and all guns returned for 'adjustment' and if one gets to nit picking too much, it may affect the service that he/she gets in the future.

It is your gun and your decision, but I think you are asking too much to expect everyone here to offer very much in the way of sympathy, especially since Ruger did fix the real problem that you had with the barrel lock-up....just sayin' is all. 8)

JPGLSG

Blackhawk
I am by no means an expert on anything but.... I do know a little about stainless steel. My company mfgs all kinds of SS products. I do know that if you use the same production equipment to mfg carbon steel and SS, the carbon will bond into the SS. It happens all the time with rollers and stamping machines. When we produce a SS item upon completion we passivate the SS to prevent any embedded carbon particals from showing up as rust spots ,like what looks on your 1911. The product we use is from Bradford Derustis Corp and it is called Wonder Gel, Stainless Steel Pickling Gel. It comes in really big qtys. or a 1 quart size. Easy as 1.2.3. (1) Simply apply the cleaner to the stainless steel surface. (2) Leave on for approx. 10 short minutes. (3) Rinse or wipe off thorougly with water and walla clean as new. It works on all kinds of SS, 304, 304L, 316, 316L. I have seen it work on some basket case guns. My 2.5 cents.

revhigh

Hawkeye
5of7 said:
I don't think it is the fact that you had a problem that looks silly, it is the reaction to a problem that most people would have relegated to the 'not worth worrying about' pile.

Also, I am sure that Ruger keeps a record of any and all guns returned for 'adjustment' and if one gets to nit picking too much, it may affect the service that he/she gets in the future.

It is your gun and your decision, but I think you are asking too much to expect everyone here to offer very much in the way of sympathy, especially since Ruger did fix the real problem that you had with the barrel lock-up....just sayin' is all. 8)

I'm not sure Ruger would 'punish' someone for being picky, unless an obnoxious attitude came through in the communications.

Most times they bend over backwards to resolve issues, and I'm sure they will for the OP as well.

I very much doubt they'll be replacing a lot of guns due to a little rust/whatever under the grips though.

REV

mapwd1702

Bearcat
5of7 said:

This was the first gun in 30 years that I have ever had to have serviced, so I doubt I am on some list of whiners. I reacted to 2 brand new pistols being rusted. I was pleasant and polite to Ruger, and they were the same in return. I do not know where you are getting the impression that my dealings with Ruger were heated or acrimonious, they were not. Sorry I committed the crime of suggesting that Ruger dropped the ball on a batch of guns. All manufactures put out lemons once in awhile, Colt, Kimber, RUGER. That is to be expected from a company that produces 100s of 1000s of guns.

your personal attacks aimed at me are puzzling to say the least. I was nothing but polite to all of you, and this is how you treat new members?

revhigh

Hawkeye
mapwd1702 said:
I think I will respectfully say Good bye to you and this forum.

That, of course is totally up to you .... However ... If you read back through your posts, you may detect a certain attitude from the posts that may have caused some to react as they did.

Either way .... Hope your gun is fixed in a satisfactory manner to you.

Ratcheting down the arguments will do a lot to have people forget all about a little spat like this .... Happens all the time .... To almost all of us ... Just part of a spirited forum.

I'm guessing that after this is all over, and your gun is fixed, that you may see things a little differently, and maybe agree that the marks under your grips weren't as big of a problem as you first perceived them to be. This is not to say that they shouldn't have been there by any means.

Welcome to the forum ... Stick around for a while.

REV

mapwd1702

Bearcat
I just re-read all the post from the beginning and unless I am missing something, it did not turn into a pissing match until 6gun claimed I was trashing Ruger. That came after I pointed out that stainless is not rust proof as he stated. I was not rude. I provided a link to show that stainless can rust. That was all. Then he turned nasty, accusing me of being nasty to CS at Ruger (which is not the case), Trashing Ruger, then he got personal after that. I am sorry that I was not made aware that it was illegal to question, or imply that Ruger was capable of a mistake! I am being treated the same as people who dare criticize Obama!!!

revhigh

Hawkeye
mapwd1702 said:
I am sorry that I was not made aware that it was illegal to question, or imply that Ruger was capable of a mistake! I am being treated the same as people who dare criticize Obama!!!

No problem ... It is not illegal or frowned upon. Forums are full of all kinds of members. Some more ... Some less ... Fanatic. Ignore the ones you want to and converse with those you want to.

I get it all the time when I criticize Ruger for something. All the die hard Ruger fans that accept anything they do, or any gun they make, as being 'the best there is' ... Are on my case all the time. Like water off a duck's back to me.

Don't worry about it ... Nothing more to see here ... :D

Enjoy your gun when you get it back and post a range report.

REV

JPGLSG

Blackhawk
Yes, yes, yes, Mapwd1702 welcome to the Zoo My first post on this here forum was a castigation over a simple question about OLD models Vaq's. I was told I did not know my a** from dirt nor did I know anthing at all about Rugers and most likely never would, and thats okay with me, I'm not looking to be an expert. Before you leave in hast, some folks on this forum have really been kind and sharing of information about my new collection mode. As you will find out some of this stuff here is beyond funny. Just look at the side pic of old 5of7, now is that not the pic of a crankie old pard or what.

5of7

Hunter
mapwd1702 said:
5of7 said:

This was the first gun in 30 years that I have ever had to have serviced, so I doubt I am on some list of whiners. I reacted to 2 brand new pistols being rusted. I was pleasant and polite to Ruger, and they were the same in return. I do not know where you are getting the impression that my dealings with Ruger were heated or acrimonious, they were not. Sorry I committed the crime of suggesting that Ruger dropped the ball on a batch of guns. All manufactures put out lemons once in awhile, Colt, Kimber, RUGER. That is to be expected from a company that produces 100s of 1000s of guns.

your personal attacks aimed at me are puzzling to say the least. I was nothing but polite to all of you, and this is how you treat new members?

You are reading far too much into my remarks, but if you would prefer to think that the world is out to get you, then I don't suppose that there is any way I can convince you otherwise. 8)

revhigh

Hawkeye
OK ... We're done with this for awhile. Let's see how the gun comes back from Ruger and go from there.

REV

6gun

Hunter
JPGLSG said:
I am by no means an expert on anything but.... I do know a little about stainless steel. My company mfgs all kinds of SS products. I do know that if you use the same production equipment to mfg carbon steel and SS, the carbon will bond into the SS. It happens all the time with rollers and stamping machines. When we produce a SS item upon completion we passivate the SS to prevent any embedded carbon particals from showing up as rust spots ,like what looks on your 1911. The product we use is from Bradford Derustis Corp and it is called Wonder Gel, Stainless Steel Pickling Gel. It comes in really big qtys. or a 1 quart size. Easy as 1.2.3. (1) Simply apply the cleaner to the stainless steel surface. (2) Leave on for approx. 10 short minutes. (3) Rinse or wipe off thorougly with water and walla clean as new. It works on all kinds of SS, 304, 304L, 316, 316L. I have seen it work on some basket case guns. My 2.5 cents.

I agree with you 100% on the embedded carbon particals, sounded like that was what Ruger was trying to explain to him that the gun it's self was not rusting it was tiny particals from their sand blasting process that reacted to the grip finish, not a big deal and will clean up.

mapwd1702

Bearcat
6gun said:
JPGLSG said:

I agree with you 100% on the embedded carbon particals, sounded like that was what Ruger was trying to explain to him that the gun it's self was not rusting it was tiny particals from their sand blasting process that reacted to the grip finish, not a big deal and will clean up.

No, it will not clean up. I tried to clean it up, I used Hoppes #9 and a bronze brush, I then went at it with Flitz with no effect. RUGER said it was RUST and that it was pitted, and that it will not come off. I wanted to keep it when it arrived on Tuesday and I found it still there. The next day when I was on the phone with Ruger (they called me) she stated she would prefer that I send it back to be redone or replaced. Why do you just keep blaming me??? I understand you do not like me, I get it. So stop remarking on my posts and we will just agree to disagree, ok?

6gun

Hunter
Hoppes is for cleaning powder residue from your bore and internal parts, it's not going to work for this, nor is Flitz it's nothing but polish, why didn't you try the Wonder gel JPGLSG suggested?, or the brown Scotch bright, you said Ruger suggested?
Well let us know how Ruger did when it returns.

mapwd1702

Bearcat
Because I did not know about JPGLSG until after Ruger had me send the gun back to them, and I cannot find brown scotchbrite, you have to special order it. Ruger said it is PITTING, you cannot remove it, it is in the metal. What about that can you not comprehend???? Pitting is holes or divots in the metal! how is either of the afore mentioned remedy's gonna remove pitting? It won't. When I told The Ruger representative on Wednesday about the tech. suggesting the scotchbrite, she said NO! you cannot use that on the bead blast finish without ruining it! I think I will listen to her. But go ahead, I am sure you will have some other question or criticism about me or my handling of this situation. I bow you your infinite wisdom on all things Ruger.

JPGLSG

Blackhawk
Well holy smokes people....Again I am no expert on anything!!! What you are describing going on with your frame just may be....the same thing we have run into with our stainless, everynow and then. Sometimes you get a batch of contaminated stainless no matter what grade. If Ruger got a shipment of contaminated steel and worked thousand of parts, you can bet your sweet a** they are not going to share something that with the un-washed, such as we. My company has been in the middle of a stainless, duck and cover, it's a PhooPhoo storm at best. If Ruger steps up and to the plate and and sends old MapWooder here (our new member) a new toy, why not. We all work for money and when we spend we want the RIGHT stuff. I like to keep my S**t together as well, and demand what I paid for is right.

JPGLSG

Blackhawk
On another thought... MapWooder... do you own any other Rugers other that that piece of s**t that is RUSTING, damnit.

I got Rugers everywhere, sometimes I find one that I had forgotten I stashed it there, it's always a pleasent suprise. I just into the old fashion single action stuff and I know nothing about what I am collecting, I'm clueless. The best part about it to me is getting all them six shooters out in one big spot, and listen to Ms Linda with her holy smokes how many.....with a glass of wine or sometimes Captian along with an oily rag and enjoy the art of what they are. I must have just a simple mind !!!!

mapwd1702

Bearcat
Unfortunately that is the only Ruger I have right now. I had a stainless security 6 years ago, but that has since gone to someone else. I do enjoy getting all the guns together in a pile and having a cleaning party! My wife, not so much!!!