Rusted SR1911-Ruger will not....edited...did replace my 1911

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mapwd1702

Bearcat
I bought a Ruger SR1911 finally after wanting this gun since I saw the first article about it! Then it took another year for them to get to the stores! I got the gun home and discovered black specks under both grip panels and the barrel/slide lock up was bad. So I called Ruger and they were very nice and they emailed me a pre-paid UPS label to ship it back to them. I had read post after post on other forums about others who had the same thing happen to them and they had had Ruger replace their guns, one person had their same gun returned to him, but was now a different color due to blasting it with a different grade of media, I do not know if he sent that one back for a re-finish, I do know he was not happy about it. So yesterday I wait all day for UPS to deliver my SR1911 back to my house and if finally arrives around 4:45 pm (all day wasted). I am so happy to have my gun back and unbox it to find a repair slip that states "frame repair". It also noted condition of gun when it arrived to them (it was new with only 16 rounds through it) I check the barrel and it is locking up good and tight! It was not noted on the repair slip, but they changed the barrel link out and that problem is gone. I then remove the grip panels to see what they did to get the rust off, and IT IS STILL THERE!!!!!!!!! Nothing was done! I called Ruger and told them what I found and she put me on hold so she could talk to the smith that worked on my gun... She told me that they could not replace the frame because then they could not send it back to me, it would have to go to an FFL. SO WHAT? I have no problem going to a gunshop to pick up my gun! She stated that the smith stated that...OK, YOU MAY WANT TO SIT DOWN FOR THIS...These guns are sandblasted and the rust is from the "grit" that is used to finish the gun frame, and that it gets in the metal!!!! Then told me that the smith had taken a brown scotchbrite pad and removed the rust spots, (which he did not do, there are absolutely NO marks to indicate any abrading had been done) and that I would have to continue to do this to maintain this gun!!!!!! Since when does a customer have to find a "brown scotchbrite pad" and continually fight off rust due to sandblasting????????? Then I look at the repair slip, and they made notations about the condition of my gun when it arrived...SCRATCHES ON DUST GUARD & FRONT GRIP FRAME, LIGHT SCRATCHES ON SLIDE...There are NO scratches on this gun anywhere that is noted, and now the only scratch on the entire gun is an IDIOT MARK that THEY PUT THERE!!!!!!!! oh, also included was a yellow silicon cloth with the Ruger logo on it, They're way of saying thanks for your support of Ruger products!!!!
So, Is it Rust like they told me, or is it a chemical reaction from the stain on the grips like they told another poster above? Or a Metallurgy issue as was stated by another poster?

mapwd1702

Bearcat
Ruger called me again today and are now having me send the gun back to them to try and make it right. Off to AZ it goes again! I am jealous, I never get to go to AZ!

revhigh

Hawkeye
It's a stainless gun .... I would have just hit it with some polishing compound on a rag and been done with it. Your gun is going to get more wear and tear and handling marks going back and forth to Ruger than it will from your use of it.

It's really no big deal.

You can easily blend the finish with a stainless gun ... That's the beauty of stainless.

PS ... Paragraphs are a good thing .... :D

PPS ... Don't worry ... It'll go back again after the front sight breaks off, so it will get even more frequent flyer miles. :D

REV

6gun

Hunter
Nah thats just mold growing under your grips from not cleaning under there. :lol: :mrgreen:

mapwd1702

Bearcat
I tried to remove it with a bronze brush and gun cleaner and oil, but from what I was told today by Ruger is that there is some kind of reaction going on with the unfinished grip backs and the steel. the stain is getting into the metal and PITTING the steel.

6gun

Hunter
mapwd1702 said:
6gun, I love your signature lines!!!

Oh..... thanks and welcome to the forum.... was just pulling your leg about the mold thing now. :D

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
mapwd1702 said:
I tried to remove it with a bronze brush and gun cleaner and oil, but from what I was told today by Ruger is that there is some kind of reaction going on with the unfinished grip backs and the steel. the stain is getting into the metal and PITTING the steel.

W-T-H?? What is in that stain? Perhaps we all need to check our SR1911's.................... :idea: :?:

Geezer

Single-Sixer
I sent mine back for the broken front sight and rust freckles under the grip panels and they replaced the pistol.

mapwd1702

Bearcat
HAWKEYE#28 said:
mapwd1702 said:

W-T-H?? What is in that stain? Perhaps we all need to check our SR1911's.................... :idea: :?:

I told people on the 1911forum to do just that and several found rust. If you have not removed your grip panels in a while, you may want to do that, then again with the possibility of ruining your night, you may not. I think as more and more people find rust on their guns, Ruger is gonna have to issue a recall. Go to the 1911forum, then to the Ruger sub-section and find the thread titled "Rust?" My screen name there is Kimber1911, some interesting reading.

6gun

Hunter
mapwd1702 said:
HAWKEYE#28 said:
mapwd1702 said:

I told people on the 1911forum to do just that and several found rust. If you have not removed your grip panels in a while, you may want to do that, then again with the possibility of ruining your night, you may not. I think as more and more people find rust on their guns, Ruger is gonna have to issue a recall. Go to the 1911forum, then to the Ruger sub-section and find the thread titled "Rust?" My screen name there is Kimber1911, some interesting reading.

Well seeing as how Stainless don't rust, and I have stainless rugers from clear back in the 1970's and still no signs of rust, you would really be jumping the gun calling this rust, some kind of reaction between the grip finish and the stainless steel maybe, rust no.

I would have already polished that off with my buffer if it bugged me, not be on here yelling the sky is falling cause something is under my grips and nonsence about recalls and rust just keep your shirt on and let Ruger take care of it, most of us would have put the grips back on and not even worried about it, it's really a non issue.

mapwd1702

Bearcat
First off, stainless is rust resistant, not rust proof. I have seen plenty of stainless guns rust. Not mine, until now. Second, Ruger themselves say it is corrosion (rust).

6gun

Hunter
mapwd1702 said:
First off, stainless is rust resistant, not rust proof. I have seen plenty of stainless guns rust. Not mine, until now. Second, Ruger themselves say it is corrosion (rust).

Chemical reactions can cause corrosion, not all corrosion is rust, is your battery on your car rusting when it leaks and corrodes? think about it before your trash Ruger.

mapwd1702

Bearcat
Still think stainless guns don't rust? Here is a rusted SR1911...http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=422458

http://www.gundigest.com/gun-quotes/rust-happens-even-on-stainless-steel-firearms

mapwd1702

Bearcat
6gun said:
mapwd1702 said:

Chemical reactions can cause corrosion, not all corrosion is rust, is your battery on your car rusting when it leaks and corrodes? think about it before your trash Ruger.

First off, I am not trashing Ruger!!!! I am stating a fact! I have a SR1911 that is on its 2nd trip back to the factory because of RUST under the grip panels, new gun. Has only spent 48 hours in my house total, the rest of the month has been on a truck or at the factory!!!!! The first trip they fixed the barrel link so the barrel would lock up properly, they failed to address the rust! SO 24 hours later it was on a truck again, it arrived there noon today! I talked to a Supervisor who was very apologetic and stated they have an issue with RUST. If anyone has a right to bash them right now it is me! But they are making it right like they should.

This is what I have been dealing with!!!!!!!!!!!....................

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
#93 Report Post
Old 08-20-2013, 05:17 PM

UPDATE!!!!!! Got my gun back from Ruger this afternoon. The barrel link has been replaced so thats a plus, but when I pulled off the grip panels to see the repair to the frame, there was NOTHING done to this gun! The black rust specks are still there just like before I sent the gun in! I called Ruger and spoke to a woman on the phone and told her what I found. She put me on hold to go talk to the gunsmith that fixed my gun. She told me that they could not replace the frame because then they could not send it back to me, it would have to go to an FFL. SO WHAT? I have no problem going to a gunshop to pick up my gun! She stated that the smith stated that...OK, YOU MAY WANT TO SIT DOWN FOR THIS...These guns are sandblasted and the rust is from the "grit" that is used to finish the gun frame, and that it gets in the metal!!!! Then told me that the smith had taken a brown scotchbrite pad and removed the rust spots, (which he did not do, there are absolutely NO marks to indicate any abrading had been done) and that I would have to continue to do this to maintain this gun!!!!!! Since when does a customer have to find a "brown scotchbrite pad" and continually fight off rust due to sandblasting????????? Then I look at the repair slip, and they made notations about the condition of my gun when it arrived...SCRATCHES ON DUST GUARD & FRONT GRIP FRAME, LIGHT SCRATCHES ON SLIDE...There are NO scratches on this gun anywhere that is noted, and now the only scratch on the entire gun is an IDIOT MARK that THEY PUT THERE!!!!!!!! oh, also included was a yellow silicon cloth with the Ruger logo on it, They're way of saying thanks for your support of Ruger products!!!!
So, Is it Rust like they told me, or is it a chemical reaction from the stain on the grips like they told another poster above? Or a Metallurgy issue as was stated by another poster?

This is from the 1911Forum

6gun

Hunter
Why is it only new guys have these big major issue's? :roll: he sounds like the customer from hell that will never be satified with anything, buys one of the least expensive S/S 1911's on the market and expects it to look and be as perfect as Dan Wesson or something, don't think most of us here even think he has a issue worth the time to send it back, he should pop the grips back on and go to the range, spend more time shooting less time complaining and have fun for a change. :p

mapwd1702

Bearcat
Wow, 6gun, you went from "Welcome to the forum!" and some good ole' neewbie ribbing, to Damn New Guys! in record time! Sorry that you were wrong about stainless steel being "rustproof", I know how people hate being proven wrong in public. If you hadn't been so rude, while being wrong I would not have pointed it out to begin with.
I love the look, feel, and almost 100% quality of the SR1911. That being said, I do not think it is acceptable, nor should we as gun buyers, settle for rust and corrosion on a brand new $700 gun! If I wanted to deal with quality issues and sub-par materials I would have bought S.A.M. Philippians made pistol, or a Taurus. I bought a US made Ruger, known for quality guns for decades, and to have not one, but 2 SR1911s (I had a Commander with the same issue that I got rid of) in 1 month with the same rust issue, not to mention that if you Google "Ruger SR1911 Rust" you will pull up a whole page full of posts from all over the web from SR1911 owners complaining about the same corrosion issue (Go ahead and try it, I will wait!).

As for being a newbie, I may be new here, but I am not new to 1911s. I have, or have had in the past, several Kimbers, 3 Springfield Armorys, Taurus PT1911 AR, Charles Daley, and 2 Ruger SR1911s. This is the ONLY 1911 that has had this issue, besides some surface rust on a Kimber barrel that did clean off with some TLC.

Since when do we as American consumers, who demand that people "buy American to save American jobs" suddenly say that we should just shut up, look the other way, and accept it when they get a product that has such problems!?!? Maybe you can just ignore it, shoot it and have some fun, but I work hard for my money, waited a LONG TIME to find a Ruger 1911, then to find this on 2 separate guns bought days apart, from different dealers? That is unacceptable to me. Ruger is making it right (at least I hope so this time), all I have heard from these Ruger boards is how Ruger has the best CS in the industry-hands down, and to then be let down by them and told that I should just invest in some brown scotchbrite pads and "keep after the rust" because it can't be replaced due to the serial numbers not being the same is hog-wash and you know it!!!!! People have guns replaced all the time for a myriad if issues. I happened to have a Gunsmith who refused to deal with an issue. All I did was demand that they make it right. If you are not gonna stand behind your product, then don't offer a lifetime warranty!!!!!!!!!
I am sure that I will love and keep my Ruger SR1911 after all this is over with. I am not so sure I can say the same thing about this forum though. I think I will respectfully say Good bye to you and this forum.

6gun

Hunter
:roll: :roll: :roll: no wonder Ruger refused to fix or replace, you became a pain where a pill won't reach, a self proclaimed expert that knows more about Guns than Ruger, you demand instead of ask and everyone's wrong your always right, good thing you came along to tell Ruger how to run their business what would they have done without you? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Just remeber one thing Ruger has no implied warranty, they do not offer a life time warranty, everything they do for you is out of the goodness of their heart, and they will bend over backwards to make you happy, but you shouldn't try to take advantage of their generosity, legally they don't have to do anything for you so it's a real bad idea to piss them off and get on their bad side with to much complaining, their generosity and willingness to help you can dry up real fast if you continue to make a nuisance of yourself.