Ruger Warranty Issues

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I don't know of any business these days that aren't having a problem finding good knowledgeable people that they can get to do a good job at anything. That can be almost anything from making change to figuring out issues with items sent back to the factory. The more involved, the more difficult it is to find good help. You can blame the company but sometimes it's hire someone that's barely functional or not hiring anyone and letting issues pile up.

I wanted to hire a guy (years ago) and because I suspected he "might" be a pot smoker I told him I would like to hire him but he would have to take a drug test. I explained that with the company it was one and done, if he failed, he would never get another shot at working for this company. I told him if he needed some time to get it out of his system, no problem, we could wait. He swore to me he didn't use drugs. I sent him down for the test, and lo and behold, he failed.

Bottom line many companies do their best to find competent employees but, the pool is getting more shallow by the day.

magnum0710

Single-Sixer
Actually Smith and Wesson does provide a one year warranty to the original owner and, after the one year is up, their limited lifetime service warranty kicks in (for any S&W gun made since 1989. They used to enforce the warranties fairly loosely but I'm sure they've tightened up in recent years). Ask me how I know: I have already replaced my EC9S with a Shield 9 Plus and the S&W warranty is expressly stated in the owner's manual. I've owned several Shields over the years and have never had a problem with them. The Shield Plus is nearly the same size as the EC9S except the grip is longer to accommodate the 13 rd mag. I decided to try the EC9S on a whim but I didn't anticipate all the problems that I've had (I guess I should have since my last four Rugers all went back for warranty repairs). Sorry, but after this experience I'm sworn off all Ruger handguns except my SP101.
It's like I said Ruger revolvers and semi autos are two different animals. The EC9s and like models aren't the indestructible tanks Ruger built their reputation on. I bought my EC9s based off that reputation and while it gave me 3 years of great service I highly doubt it will still be going 50 years from now like my Security Six. If they both didn't say Ruger on them I'd think they were made by completely different companies.
I love Ruger and I'm not knocking them, part of it is the micro pistol craze. There's only so much you can expect from a 17oz 9mm. My brother has the original Shield and even that one is a little bigger and thicker than the EC9s. The Glock 43 is bigger and thicker too and holds one less round. Aside from the Diamondback DB9 (which is complete junk) and the Kel-Tecs it's one of the smallest 9mms there is.

magnum0710

Single-Sixer
Well you just got a Speed Six. Good luck with that one. I have never heard anything but good about that gun Hope it works great for you.....You did mention how the P Series guns had a great rep. You bet as they worked pretty much fine all of the time. I love my KP95DC. It's the decocker model. Mine is solid and very, very accurate. You could probably pick up a P95 for a good price and to me, with a P95, you can't go wrong. 👍
The Speed Six is great, it needs some cosmetic stuff but otherwise it's in great shape. I'm pretty sure it was never even fired. Locks up like a new GP. Same thing with my Security Six. My Speed Six was made around 86 or 87, my Security Six was made in 1974 and shows no signs of slowing down.
I'm actually not a huge fan of the P series but I wouldn't mind an SR9c or 40c at some point down the road.

les45

Bearcat
I find it interesting that this thread started with one simple question (which has only been answered in one post) but as it progressed it has gone from the technical issues of my broken gun to customer service and warranties, including Ruger, Smith and Wesson, and Taurus, and finally the quality of the old Ruger revolvers. Just saying..........................

Star43

Buckeye
I find it interesting that this thread started with one simple question (which has only been answered in one post) but as it progressed it has gone from the technical issues of my broken gun to customer service and warranties, including Ruger, Smith and Wesson, and Taurus, and finally the quality of the old Ruger revolvers. Just saying..........................
Yeeaapp !!! But wasn't it fun though !! 🙂😊

Star43

Buckeye
It's the nature of these discussions.... been going on for decades....
And will probably continue to do so. Yes the topic can swerve sometimes, but many times you can pick up some info you didn't know that just comes out of "left field" so to speak. I think for the most part it's all good......

Well I can answer my own question. I returned the gun on May 8 and received it back from the factory today (May 20). However, my bad luck with Ruger pistols continues. Ruger fixed a mag release problem but the gun will still not eject when racking it manually. When I try to clear a round in the chamber, it gets stuck in the top of the chamber and I have to turn it upside down and shake it to get it out. It doesn't matter how hard I sling shot the slide, it simply will not eject. Also, the barrel looks like its been used and abused. There are scratches on the top of the bonnet and all around the bell end of the barrel. It looks like somebody worked on it with a metal tool. It does not look like normal wear from actual firing of the gun. Got a call in to Ruger now to send it back again.
Without inspecting the firearm, I suspect the "hood" at the top of the barrel is a mite long which catches the tip of the bullet preventing ejection. Some ammo, like FMJ, the tip is not truncated like a hollow point is. I have seen JMB 1911 design fail to eject a loaded round because the port is too short. That said have you tried ammo from different manufacturers, different bullet configurations etc.?

Several months ago, a customer brought a Marlin (Connecticut) 1895 with a 500 grain 45-70 in the action that wouldn't eject because the ejection port was tapered toward the front of the receiver. The ammo was the problem, the shape of the bullet was nearly wadcutter configuration.

Star43

Buckeye
Anyone know the current turnaround times for warranty work on pistols at Prescott? Had to send my brand new ec9s back for FTF and mag release problems. This is my fifth brand new Ruger that has gone back to the factory almost on day one. Love my SS revolvers but nothing but problems with semi autos and LCR's.
You know I went back to your original post, and I have to be honest with you. I missed the part about this is the FIFTH Ruger auto you have sent back. I can see where you may be quite a bit frustrated after going thru this 5 times. Hey, what can you say. I would be very frustrated too. One thing I did catch, or I think I understood, is that the factory test fired it 15 times without a problem ?? This could be a dumb thing to bring up but nobody else mentioned it from what I saw. Maybe it's the ammo you are using that could be contributing to your problems ? Have you tried different types of ammo, bullet weights, HP, FMJ, etc. ?? Why did it work so well at the factory. The other thing too is I never unload a gun mid way shooting. I empty the mag every time, but that's me. Probably most guys too, I would think. Sorry if the ammo question is dumb, but how can it work there and not at home with you ?? Just a thought.....who knows, maybe the ammo had something to do with the other problems too ??

Star43

Buckeye
Without inspecting the firearm, I suspect the "hood" at the top of the barrel is a mite long which catches the tip of the bullet preventing ejection. Some ammo, like FMJ, the tip is not truncated like a hollow point is. I have seen JMB 1911 design fail to eject a loaded round because the port is too short. That said have you tried ammo from different manufacturers, different bullet configurations etc.?

Several months ago, a customer brought a Marlin (Connecticut) 1895 with a 500 grain 45-70 in the action that wouldn't eject because the ejection port was tapered toward the front of the receiver. The ammo was the problem, the shape of the bullet was nearly wadcutter configuration.
Sorry Sam, when I just sent my last post, I had not read your post yet......I think we are/were both thinking the same thing.....the ammo he is using. How can he have such bad luck 5 times ?? 😊👍

les45

Bearcat
The ammo has nothing to do with my current problem or any of my previous issues:

On the current EC9S problem, I have tried various FMJ and JHP and none will eject properly. This is a known issue with Ruger pistols as evidenced by the YouTube video in one of the previous posts.

My first return to Ruger was a new LCR 38 that locked up on me at the range the first time I pulled the trigger. Cylinder replaced.
My second return was another new LCR 38 that eventually developed a deep ring on the cylinder. Another cylinder replaced.
My third was a 2245 Mk 3 that would not go back together after disassembly. Turned out the hammer was broken (when the Mk3 was returned, the mainspring housing assembly was damaged due to someone beating it out with a steel punch; Ruger then had to send me a new assembly)
My fourth return was a new LCP with a bent guide rod.

Not bad luck; bad Ruger quality.

Star43

Buckeye
Well the ammo thing was just an idea, that's all. Just trying to help....it is hard for me to just comprehend anyone having as many problems with Ruger as you. I have never heard of such bad luck with Ruger as you've had....it's hard for me to understand as my guns are older. And they work very well. To be honest I know nothing much of their modern autos, so I can't comment on that. The sad part is that you can't get these things fixed. Keep the faith and call them again. What else can you do. Don't give up. 👍👍

harley08

Blackhawk
S&W doesn't have a written or implied warranty either. It's just that they like Ruger stand behind their products. Now on the other hand the alternative is
Taurus that has a "Lifetime Warranty", my last experience was a "Raging Bull" with the trigger pivot axle broken off in the frame. "Oh, we can't fix that" and the RB is no longer made. We will replace the firearm, you can pick any of our products up to $2000 MSRP. Well the customer wants a 454 Casul Ragin Bull. Customer picks a Raging Hunter in 454 Casul, we don't have any of those in stock. A year later (Nov) still no replacement, every gun mag in the country has tested a RH in 460 S&W. Contact Taurus stating that I want to change to a 460 S&W.
Years ago, on a Taurus that I owned, I dropped it and broke something, Called Taurus and they told me to send it to them, So, I did.
I sent it to them; they fixed it and sent it back to me no charge.
That is how customer service should be!

Years ago, on a Taurus that I owned, I dropped it and broke something, Called Taurus and they told me to send it to them, So, I did.
Lucky Man! I have been in the gunsmith business for 16 years, I have sent more Taurus products back to Miami than I want to admit. I have banged heads with the head of customer service multiple times at SHOT Show. I do not stock Taurus in my inventory. Several years ago Taurus recalled all their striker fired semiautos because a critical part would break, you could shake the handgun and it would fire without the manipulation of the trigger. The last I received was a 45 ACP of this design. Sending the firearm back I was informed that the gun was not repairable and to pick one of two, a G3 in 9mm or a Curve. Knowing the Curve was a known POS (I had previously sent several to them for repair) I picked the G3, I haven't heard any complaint from the customer. The last time I reviewed Taurus line up of striker fired products they offer no 45 ACP models. Hopefully the Georgia products have improved, the revolvers are still made in Brazil.

larry8

Blackhawk
I had an issue with a few of my S&W pistols and a Ruger Revolver a while back - not more than 6-12 months ago. I sent them back and in each case they sent the guns back in like new condition and they worked perfectly, and NO charge. I have all the confidence in the world that the manufacturers will try to do the right thing for you if they can.

yugorifle

Bearcat
I had an issue with a few of my S&W pistols and a Ruger Revolver a while back - not more than 6-12 months ago. I sent them back and in each case they sent the guns back in like new condition and they worked perfectly, and NO charge. I have all the confidence in the world that the manufacturers will try to do the right thing for you if they can.
Ruger's customer service is superb.