Ruger vs S&W Revolvers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Snake45

Hawkeye
Well, it was the 80's and I used to drink 😞

But I have not had a drink for over 22 years.

I have some catching up to do 😀

(On gun stuff, not drinking)
Good for you, Mah Brothah! (y)

I DO remember that ad from the '80s, as I'd only quit drinking myself for a couple years at that time. (A couple weeks ago I had 39 1/2 years--this September I'll have 40, God Willing and the creek don't rise!) ;)

Al James

Hunter
Which is stronger....Ruger vs S&W? Good question.

How on this green earth does "The Yanker Marshall" have 367,000 subscribers? Even better question!

I have Rugers, I have Smiths. Love em both. However: those Smith target grips, ultra sweet. Also the trigger pull on a Smith out of the box, up until the new "classic" models came out, generally are slick as owl snot.
Otoh, I really love a single action, and mine have spent more time being carried and used than any double action I've owned so far. Of course I haven't had my Redhawk very long so we have some catching up to do.

Star43

Blackhawk
Glad you like your Smiths, but I can honestly say just in the last couple of months visiting gun shops around the area, that after looking and handling the Smiths that I saw, that I had to ask the salesman if they were used guns or new ? He said they were new. Well those guns I saw should not have left the factory. I didn't care for the finish and the cylinder play was way too much. I was not impressed. I grew up in Mass & can appreciate an older Smith. But not the ones I just saw. IMO.

I stopped listening right after I heard the "Yankee" :)

Well now that doesn't seem well-reasoned, just based on one word... 🙄

Who do you suppose designed and built all those millions and millions of classic Rugers, Smiths, Colts, Winchesters, Marlins, and Remingtons that so many of us here love? 😂

I'll concede that I've never been impressed with my bloomers made from Yankee cotton, though! 🤪

(Based on the OP's description of the video I don't believe I'll be watching it, either… we can agree on that! 👍)

41Dude

Single-Sixer
Another a little off topic.
Over the years I have owned two 6" Colt Pythons. (the original, not the new) Tried to like them. Nope. Traded them away for S&W .357's
The Colts are beautiful finely made revolvers. They just did not trip my trigger.

Star43

Blackhawk
Ruger is the glock of revolvers. Smith and wesson is the sig of revolvers. Can't say it any better in 14 words.
This reminds me of an old thread I started on Gray Beards long ago and it went on for so long. Glock vs SIG........it went on to evolve in Ginger vs Maryanne, with Maryanne being the Glock. Well in this case if the gorgeous Ginger was S/W.... Well I would still be very, very happy with Maryanne as the Ruger! Just saying.....And Smiths are not very gorgeous at all......Go Ruger !!! 🙂😊👍👍

magnum0710

Bearcat
Over the years I have owned two 6" Colt Pythons. (the original, not the new) Tried to like them. Nope. Traded them away for S&W .357's
The Colts are beautiful finely made revolvers. They just did not trip my trigger.
The Python is my grail gun I can't even lie about it. I almost bought an original 6 inch someone had either Cerakoted or parkerized. Of course it shot up to above new Python prices. I really want a 4 inch even if I have to settle for the new bead blasted "budget" version.
It won't happen anytime soon, but one day I will have a Python. I will say this though, if the Walking Dead was really happening and my name was Rick, I wouldn't be toting a Python I'd be carrying my Security Six or my new Speed Six.
I'd keep it loaded with either hot 38s or mid level 357s to keep the wear and tear down. I'd probably have a back up or two as well to make up for the capacity, LCP in my pocket and a small 9 or 38 on my ankle. But there's no way I'd rely on a Python in a end of the world scenario. If the timing goes out you are SOL at that point.

JBP

Single-Sixer
I used to have friends who would RAVE to me about Ruger's factory repair/customer service.

I'd say, "I have S&Ws. I have no idea what their customer service is like, because I've +never had to return one." ;) :LOL:
I have my share of both and I do love my S&W N frames. I have one of each that have had to go back for service. A Ruger 3 screw 30 carbine that has locked up twice while shooting it. Great service on that one the 2nd time. The gunsmith called me up to discuss the problem. I have S&W 2" 610 that has twice gone back to repair the cylinder release.

dannyd

Hunter
My dad had a new 1955 Python, but I liked my GP 100's more too. Never owned a S&W.