Ruger Six series/SP quality accuracy vs S&W model 15

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
Negligible as far as I know.

And if accuracy is a concern, get a Six Series or GP100 with 6 inch barrel.

FLgun

Single-Sixer
Negligible as far as I know.

And if accuracy is a concern, get a Six Series or GP100 with 6 inch barrel.
Looking for more of concealment size yet steel frame. So not the polymer LCR platforms. Hence why considering SP/ Six series

Snake45

Hawkeye
Wondering how the overall accuracy and quality of the Ruger Six Series and SP101 is compared to a S&W model 15..
All three are good quality guns and probably comparable in accuracy from a benchrest. If someone were offering to give me one of them, I'd take the Smith 15 (assuming a 4" barrel) just 'cause I'm a "Smith Guy" and I know how to run 'em and I have some spare parts on hand for 'em. In your case, I'd say buy whichever one you get the best deal on, or whichever fits your hand best, or whichever one you like the looks of most, or any other criterion that's important to you. They are functionally equal (well, of course, except the SP101 is a 5-shooter and the other two are 6-shooters).

hittman

Staff member
357 LCR are steel frame I think. That's the weight difference between 357 and 38.
Also why I sold my 357 and bought the 38.

The velocity difference would be negligible.

I suspect you are wanting encouragement/justification/rationalization to get the SP101. You need to get what you want. It will work fine. And maybe later you can experiment with other acquisitions. That's likely how we all got started with our collections and opinions.

Last edited:

FLgun

Single-Sixer
The velocity difference would be negligible.

I suspect you are wanting encouragement to get the SP101. You need to get what you want. It will work fine. And maybe later you can experiment with other acquisitions. That's likely how we all got started with our collections and opinions.
Not wanting encouragement.. just finding so many more options available as it's currently made and not 35 years old as the six series is all. Just gonna have to research and do more digging

dannyd

Hunter
I have my share of Ruger's, but their just not 800 to 1000 guns to me and unlike many people I shoot them almost every other day or at least hold them. And yes I have one Charter Arms.

And make a lot of holsters for them. :)

28E526F9-6BDB-4A16-BAD9-52248D4C9888.jpeg

BFFA8FC8-6DD4-42F6-85E0-684C69193316.jpeg

TINCANBANDIT is back

Single-Sixer
I own a vintage security six, a vintage S&W K frame m65 and a newish SP101. As far as the factory triggers go, S&W does have a better trigger, but an easy trigger job evens that out quickly. For quality I say the older Rugers & Smiths were pretty close, there was a time (pre 1980) that S&W had better fit and finish, but that also came with a higher price tag. I can't tell any difference in accuracy between them.....my 2" SP101 is not as easy to hit stuff with at distance, but it is not designed for that either.

I would not buy a new S&W revolver today, no chance, they are not even the same gun they were.

Also I would not be too worried about the lack of support by Ruger on the Six series of guns.....in fact I am contemplating having replacement internal parts made for these guns.....there are enough of them out there in circulation to make it viable....

Snake45

Hawkeye
I have my share of Ruger's, but their just not 800 to 1000 guns to me and unlike many people I shoot them almost every other day or at least hold them. And yes I have one Charter Arms.

And make a lot of holsters for them. :)

View attachment 37359
Dannyd, I like your collection of "un-guns." I have very similar collections of 1911s and Walther P.38s. Will be glad to post pics if you'd like to see 'em.

Bet you'll like this one, too. ;)

1705067856061.jpeg

dannyd

Hunter
Dannyd, I like your collection of "un-guns." I have very similar collections of 1911s and Walther P.38s. Will be glad to post pics if you'd like to see 'em.

Bet you'll like this one, too. ;)

View attachment 37369
That one is really cool, I have a collection of 1911's too. I make holsters and give them away. People offer to buy them, but that would make it a job and not my hobby. :)

Chief

Single-Sixer
One thing that has not been mentioned. The Six series guns are very well built, hence they weigh more than the S&W 15. Also a 3in SP is significantly lighter than the 2 3/4 Security Six. This all matters if you are going to carry them very much.

hittman

Staff member
I think a 2.75 inch Speed Six outweighs the SP by a whopping 2 or 3 ounces.

For me, the weight ( and the additional dimensions ) are negligible.

Chief

Single-Sixer
I think a 2.75 inch Speed Six outweighs the SP by a whopping 2 or 3 ounces.

For me, the weight ( and the additional dimensions ) are negligible.
You know what you're right about the SP. I was mistaken. I do stand behind the weight difference between the S&W and the Security Six. Good holsters for the Sixes can also be a challenge, especially if you're left handed. (but when wasn't that true)😆

hittman

Staff member
I am a lefty and think my Six holsters are Safety Speed.
I knew a guy years ago who bought HUNDREDS of that brand when the company closed or got sold.
I have some IWB and Paddle in that brand.
Then I found Simply Rugged and love their pancake style with inside-out straps.

hittman

Staff member

larry8

Single-Sixer
I had several S&W 15's and a Ruger SP101. I sold them all before I moved to SC, but that SP was somewhere around 3" and when I shot 357's it would really hurt my hand. Not so much for the 38's. I am not interested in getting another SP at my age, I think it will hurt even more now. So I still have my Security 6 in ss and will never sell it or my new 44 Redhawk. I believe o'l Bill really liked 3 guns that he designed, the 6 series, the Redhawk and the Super Redhawk and the 3rd being the Old Army. I have them all now, as I just recently picked up the Redhawk.

Larry8, not sure how it's hurting your hand, but the great thing about revolvers is being able to change grips. My SP 101 whacks my middle knuckle, as a result, none of mine have the original grip. Try Hogue and Pachmayer and see which one fits you best. I think you'll find it to be a major difference.

For the folks complaining about the SP101 how the new ones aren't as good, please clarify exactly how that is. Personally, I don't find that to be the case.

Tom-R2

Bearcat
I started carrying the Service-Six 4" on-duty in 1976. It's still a very fine revolver. A little over a year ago, I came across a stainless Speed-Six 2.5" and snatched it up as quickly as I could. I've replaced the springs in my Service-Six, and most recently bought a second hammer for the Speed-Six to cut the thumb tang off of one of them, yet still be able to move it back to original if I want. Numerich still seems to have lots of parts for the Rugers. We have a S&W 19, that's as close as I get to shooting a 15. I like them all, but I've got more Rugers than anything else.

Latest posts