Ruger Super Blackhawk - Base Pin Jumping - Ruger was no help

Help Support Ruger Forum:

AZRuger

Bearcat
My brother has a SBH .44 w/ 4 5/8" bbl. I've been looking for a shorter barreled 44 (just have my 7.5" SRH), and I got to shoot his SBH the other week and near fell in love with the damn thing.

Only problem was the base pin kept jumping out under recoil. I was shooting factory AE 240 gr. JHPs, nothing real hot. This was a disappointment to me, as I've always looked to Ruger revolvers as the most robust. My brother got no help from Ruger, and they told him he must be shooting loads that are too hot :shock:. They said he could get a locking base-pin, but it would require a smithy to drill the barrel which would void the warranty.

Is the base-pin jumping a common problem with the SBH with shorter barrels? I was set to buy one but won't if I need custom work to shoot standard loads (or even heavy factory loads), and I'm tempted not to buy it all with the poor support my brother received from Ruger.

hittman

Staff member
I would like to have heard that conversation in person.

contender

Ruger Guru
Base pin jumping is an occasional issue in heavy recoiling handguns. It can EASILY be fixed by one of a few methods.
One,,, take a round file, (like used on chainsaws,) & deepen the groove in the base pin.
Two,,, get a stronger spring for the retaining pin.
Three,,, get a locking base pin from Belt Mountain.

And lastly,, make sure the groove of the pin is in line with the latch pin.

But I also agree with hitman,,, I'd like to have heard the conversation with Ruger. Something may not have been properly explained,,, or a mis-understanding of some type. Ruger is usually very good about such small stuff like this.

I own several heavy recoiling handguns,,, and occasionally, one has this issue. I've fixed all of them w/o any calls to Ruger or any serious work. No custom gunsmith needed.

NikA

Buckeye
A certain number of the Single 7 model guns had this problem, including mine. I tried to solve it with an extra power latch spring, which did not work. Ruger paid to have it come back and fix it, agreed to send me a shipping label as soon as I described the problem. Have not had a problem since, although I put the extra power spring back in when it came back from the factory. I am surprised they would not do the same for any of their guns that had not been altered in this area. After all, it is an issue of tolerances, and they should be checking these things for safety purposes before the guns leave the factory.

ronyama

Bearcat
I have the same Super Blackhawk and installed a Belt Mountain pin and stronger latch spring and never had a problem. I didn't bother to drill the barrel for the set screw on the pin.

Slenk

Single-Sixer
I have 2 SBH 44s and have no problem with the base pins. With heavy loads.
Have not changed a thing on them.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Wolff extra power base pin latch springs get installed in every Ruger SA that comes into my collection. My first one I had an issue with was a Vaquero SS .44 mag that the base pin jumped about every third shot. I installed a wolff base pin latch spring in it and it never jumped again. Belt Mt. Base pins are also a great way to tighten up any that are a bit sloppy fit in the frame/ cylinder.

Chief 101

Hunter
You can't call somebody on April 1st and expect a straight answer...yes I had that problem on an older 60's 357 Blackhawk, seems it can be an issue every once in a while and I suspect the fix has been already penned. A collector offered me too much money for mine before I fixed it so can't say for sure what was the issue..I've had and have many Blackhawks with only the one issue mentioned...after reading the replies I am thinking maybe an alignment problem or spring problem...good luck with yours AZR...

s4s4u

Hunter
Only problem was the base pin kept jumping out under recoil.

Are you certain that the base pin latch was getting fully seated? I have a Bisley that takes some wiggling and jiggling before the latch seats and if it doesn't get seated all the way the pin will jump. An extra power latch spring is cheap insurance.

mikewriter

Blackhawk
I put Belt Mountain Base pins on all my Ruger revolvers. Cheap insurance against a pin moving. Also never bothered to dimple the barrel - just the extra bit of tension seems to do the trick. Used to have an old Herter's single action .44 mag with a 4" barrel that kicked as hard as any revolver I've owned. Normally the base pin would jump out every few shots and I'd have to hunt for it. Finally lost the pin altogether, and while I was trying to locate one somebody wanted to buy the gun, so I let him have it without the pin.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
My Bisley 44 magnum used to do that. By carefully looking at the mating of the base pin latch and the base pin I noticed it needed some adjustment with a small round file. A stronger latch spring could also help. Be sure the latch and latch nut are tight with a little blue Loctite.

...unrelated, sometime later my ejector housing flew off when the housing screw broke. :D

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I prefer to treat the problem, not the symptom.

As contender and a few others posted; your base pin is not properly locking due to poor fitting or the latch is not completely tightened down.

How to trouble shoot and diagnose the problem:

When released, the latch should return all the way out to the left with or w/o the pin installed. If it doesn't return all the way out with the pin installed, that's the dead giveaway that the notch on the SBH pin is not deep enough, or the groove (the circular cannelure) on other model pins is not deep enough, to fully engage the latch. The pin will shoot loose.

File the SBH notch deeper or chuck the other model pins with the groove all the way around in a power drill and deepen the groove with a small rat tail file.

I don't waste the time or money on a stronger base pin spring or more money and modify the gun with a locking pin, although it's your gun and you should do what you prefer. One can get a mighty sore finger operating the latch with stronger spring, but that's a personal thing.

Getting help from Ruger CS is a crap shoot; most times you'll get a knowledgeable and helpful person, but sometimes you don't. Say goodbye and call again.

schloss

Single-Sixer
ditto1958 said:
hittman said:
I would like to have heard that conversation in person.

+1. Ruger doesn't have a warranty. Therefore there is no way to void the warranty.

This was going to be my comment. I think there was some misunderstanding on this. I've never had a problem with base pins. However, make sure the base pin is fully inserted, and that the latch seats properly. Also make sure the latch is threaded together so that it has adequate spring pressure.

If it's new, it's typical form them to have all manner of grit in the most intricate locations. Could just be that it needs cleaned.