Jumping the Crimp

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Fredo

Bearcat
My 357 lcr recently jammed at the range. The round on the right was eventually extracted obviously jumping the crimp. Should I limit myself to 38 special only or change ammo brands ( Sig SAUER). I'm new to firearms so any advice would be appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_5020.jpeg
    IMG_5020.jpeg
    314.4 KB · Views: 57
I'd try other brands of ammo. Perhaps with lighter bullet weights, if possible, which might be less inclined to give trouble.

Last edited:
Pictures don't always tell an accurate story. I do not see much of a crimp. And the crimp cannelure doesn't look very deep to start with.
IMG_5020.jpeg

Again, maybe the photo is fooling me.. Either way, maybe try a different bullet with a potentially deeper cannelure, for the crimp to actually get a hold of something.

And if these are not reloads, then yes, try a different brand. I've never had a factory .357 cartridge jump crimp. But the LCR is extremely light, and punishing. It will find a weakness in both the ammunition and the shooter!

And Welcome!

Last edited:

gnappi

Single-Sixer
I don't see a crimp, and the cannelure where it should be is too far out to be of any use.

If you have a large supply of these a friend who can re-seat and crimp them for you will work, but I'd give a call to Sig about them.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum Fredo!!

You have been given excellent advice above.

Bullets jumping the crimp are not uncommon in certain situations. Light guns,, combined with heavy recoiling ammo can easily cause this.
In reloading,,, when we are making our own heavy recoiling ammo, we always try to make sure we have a good crimp to help prevent this.
But I've also seen it happen to lighter ammo in brass that has been loaded several times,, where the neck tension isn't very good. More often in a semi-auto rimless such as the .9mm because you can't roll crimp the case. The case headspaces on the mouth,, not the rim. In fact,, in my .9mm revolver,,in USPSA competition,, once I eject a moon clip with live rounds,, I never re-use them in a match. And I also take them & run them back through my press & re-seat the bullets & re-do the taper crimp. BECAUSE I have bullets creeping forward some.

So, as noted above,, switch ammo, and just to be cautious,, shoot one or two, checking the remaining ammo for bullet jump to prevent a round from jamming up the gun again.

rotor

Single-Sixer
LCR is such a light gun that any 357 ammo in it needs a good crimp. I can't shoot shot capsules in my .38 LCR because they migrate and lock up the gun. Anyone that says a revolver never fails needs to read your post. Not easy to unlock either.

Like the others said, I don't even see a crimp. I would not fire the rest of the box without crimping them. Maybe contact the manufacturer and tell them (suspect they skipped the step and locked up your gun),… maybe they'll take care of you in some way.

s4s4u

Hunter
Poor ammo design. It is probably taper crimped because there isn't an actual cannelure to roll a crimp into. I have loaded 38 Special bullets that had a similar cannelure that was purely decorative.

Latest posts