Ruger SR9 Peening Problem

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
ArmedinAZ said:
Leucoandro said:
Checked my Glock 17G4. Very minor peening on the barrel. Peening full length of slide/barrel mating surface on slide
Checked my Glock 21G4. No apparent peening of barrel, just polishing from mating surfaces. Peening full length of slide/barrel mating surface on slide

Charlie

Can you clarify your observations highlighted above? Peening is being defined here as metal being deformed away from it's manufactured configuration by colliding with another metal surface. Are you saying you see visible metal deformation on the slide on these pistols or are you seeing polishing where the barrel hood rides the slide? It's hard to imagine metal deformation the full length of the contact surface.

It is difficult to discribe. Here are some pictures on my 17G4. I made a mistake and deleted the picture that shows what I am talking about the best.

Basically the edge has been rounded off in the shape of the barrel block. The metal is peened so that it sticks out on both sides of the slide, and a ding, the width of the barrel block in the middle.

I could be totally wrong, and it might not be peening at all, but it looks like mild peening to me. The barrel almost appears to be shined, but when nit picking it looks like very miniscule peening.

Charlie

IMG_4566Medium_zps708a7966.jpg

IMG_4564Medium_zpsbc0487b1.jpg

IMG_4567Medium_zpsc1341aef.jpg

wingnuut

Bearcat
my SR9 has very mild peening this is normal , check your barrel movement in slide and there is no movement, my mp40c has some also my glock 33 the sr9 is the most accurate.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Cheesewhiz said:
revhigh said:
Cheese is gonna get all up in your face if you denigrate his beloved SP01's. :D

REV

My guess is that anyone that reports bad stuff about a CZ SP-01 is in the business of selling something other than the CZ SP-01.

I warned you! LOL :D

REV

misterdetail

Bearcat
smiledawgg said:
misterdetail said:
I don't have access to a new SR9 to verify if the slide is actually cut like this, as the rep says. Thanks!

I just bought a new SR9 this month and can confirm that the smooth rounded bevel on the underside of the slide where it meets the block is there from the factory. Mine has no visible wear on that bevelled face.
Thank you very much!

wingnuut

Bearcat
my sr9 has slight penning but barrel is tight in the slide and dead accurate, my mp 40c and mp9 no peening but barrel is not as tight as sr9 also my glock 33-29-19- no peening but not as tight as my sr9 or as accurate, peening is good makes tight fit on barrel that is slightly over sized

revhigh

Hawkeye
wingnuut said:
peening is good makes tight fit on barrel that is slightly over sized

That has got to be one of the most ludicrous starement I've ever heard ....

I'm guessing you don't have a degree in weapons design. :D

REV

modrifle3

Buckeye
What is wrong with good gas mileage. You don't need a monster truck to prove you are a man . . . uhhhh or woman, so lets leave the insults at home.

There is a difference between wear in and peening. All "machines" with moving parts have a wear in pattern, however peening sometimes is a sign of improper tolerances and hardening. Sometimes bad design. The peening experienced by many with ruger barrels, SRs and 10/22, is to the level of damaging the gun. Not sure about the SRs, but the 10/22 take down is an issue with manufacturing quality.

All of my ruger hand guns excluding the SR1911 show more wear in than other brands, but it doesn't really affect function or accuracy. I also own Beretta's Glocks XDs and 1911s. The fit and finish is more refined on these so less wear in occurs. However even Glock was known in the early days for slide face damage. Not sure why this happened to my G21. Glock never really addressed it, only said it was with in spec. Then again they never explained why extractors were cracking either.

revhigh

Hawkeye
wingnuut said:
Rev hi with a handle like that you own a focus and a presius , the biggest gun you must own is a BBgun

LOL! Right you are! But my Little Red Ryder is a real tack driver.

The only semiautos I've ever seen peen like that are Ruger SR series guns.

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
wingnuut said:
Rev hi with a handle like that you own a focus and a presius

That 'presius' is the best car I ever owned .... went to OCMD and back this weekend ... 500+ miles and used just a hair over 10 gallons.

Wouldn't trade it for the world.

REV