Ruger SR9 Peening Problem

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dale

Bearcat
This looks like a start to a barrel/slide peening problem. Think I should be concerned and send it in to Ruger? This is the latest gen SR9 with only 200 rounds through it.

2gtvsqp.jpg

257zzhz.jpg

Thanks Guys!

Rei40c

Blackhawk
The location of the peening is normal. The amount in my opinion is not normal. I can't say if it would cause a problem or not, I can say it would be sent back to Ruger if it where mine.

Dale

Bearcat
I want to, but I'm afraid they might send it back refusing to do anything about it.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Don't worry friend, their customer service is excellent! Outstanding even. I can promise you they won't just simply tell you your stuck with it. Something will happen, I'm not sure what, to fix it. :)

modrifle3

Buckeye
I can say I have had it with returning guns to Ruger. They need to get their [EDIT] together. None of my old Rugers ever had an issue but metal quality seems to be an issue more and more.

Edit....watch the language. It is not welcome here

modrifle3

Buckeye
If the Croatians the Czechs and Austrians can build a better gun time and time again maybe Americans should learn from this.

modrifle3 said:
I can say I have had it with returning guns to Ruger. They need to get their sh!t together. None of my old Rugers ever had an issue but metal quality seems to be an issue more and more.

Its not just Ruger, a buddy of mine is dealing with Kimber the week of me typing this.

Dale

Bearcat
RobbyRotten said:
Dale said:
I want to, but I'm afraid they might send it back refusing to do anything about it.

No guts, no glory. Really, Ruger CS is excellent; they'll fix it.

Do you lube that area? Also the area where you see the skid marks on the underside of the slide? Also the two lockup points on the rear of the slide?

Yes after every use I clean and lube all the metal parts and take special notice to lubing where the parts are rubbing. Kinda regret not going with the glock 17 :/

Dale

Bearcat
Gave Ruger a call, and they told me to email them pictures and I would hear a reply by the end of the day. So far the customer service is A+

Dale

Bearcat
RobbyRotten said:
Kinda regret not going with the glock 17 :/

Just for curiosity sake, why didn't you go with the G17??

Everyone has a Glock. I also heard that the Ruger sr9 was suppose to be just as reliable, but with a better feel in the hand. Also I hated the blocky look to it and the SR9 was more aesthetically pleasing to my eye.

Dale

Bearcat
So this was their response. Should I insist I get a replacement???

I looked through your pictures and looked through a bunch of our different SR series models here. What I am seeing

with your pistol is pretty normal. The underside of the slide is actually cut like that factory standard to help with the

whole recoil process (metal to metal.) The barrel also shows normal wear for that metal to metal contact point as well.

It has gotten past its initial "wear" and should not progress any further than it has now. I hope this clears this up for you.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Dale said:
So this was their response. Should I insist I get a replacement???

You can 'insist' all you want .... I think you pretty much have their 'answer' ....

Don't worry about it. It's probably gone as far as it's going to.

REV

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Wow disappointing response, I was wrong, sorry to give bad advice, I was sure they'd try to refit the slide/barrel. hum..

Well for any of the edges that may be sticking up 1000 grit sandpaper will take it off. Obviously as you know don't go overboard and change geometry. But it will take off any sharp burs without having to blast it off with the friction of shooting it.

modrifle3

Buckeye
So glad I bought the xd40 instead of the Sr40c. Little bigger but the dealer said they have yet to send a xd back for repair. Ruger makes a great mostly trouble free rifle except for the issues I hear about the takedown 10/22. Ruger better get their handgun game in gear or they will lose market share.

carbonyl

Single-Sixer
I've read quite a bit about barrel peening and have it on my SR9c. If I hadn't read about it I'm not sure when or if I would have noticed. I had about 200 rounds through when I noticed and now have close to 4000 through without a single problem. I've kept an eye on it and it isn't getting worse. The SR's have been out a few years now so I was wondering if any failures due to peening have been reported.

fatmax2

Bearcat
I have noticed some peening on the slide of my sr9c and the barrel. I'll
post some pics as soon as I can. I have only put 100rds. through so far.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Fat, you have to leave your pictures up on photobucket as they are linked to it here. If you delete them there, they are deleted here also.

fatmax2

Bearcat
Cheesewhiz said:
Fat, you have to leave your pictures up on photobucket as they are linked to it here. If you delete them there, they are deleted here also.

I'll check what happened. Thanks