Ruger SR9 or Glock 17

Help Support Ruger Forum:

prsabordo

Bearcat
New guy here and looking to own my first firearm. I like the SR9's ergonomics and price but i like the Glock's durability/reliability. Down here in southern California the price of SR9's are going up like crazy, so i am thinking about just saving a little more for a Glock. Problem I have with the Glock is the grip, too big for my hands. Problem i have with the SR9 is the inconsistency/crappy/heavy trigger. Is it possible to have the best of both worlds? I looked at the ghost rocket reset bar available for the SR9 and some tests done on youtube showed that it reduced the average lbs of pull from 9 to 6 ish. Anyone have the same or better results with the ghost rocket or ultimate?

ConradM

Blackhawk
Don't get a gun that you feel you "have to" upgrade. Did you look at XDm's? They have pretty thin grips, as do CZ's.

Can't think of any thing else in that style of pistol that has a nice thin grip.. Oh, the Glock Gen 4's have interchangeable back straps, maybe have a look at those.

piratedude

Single-Sixer
Not to be rude, but from a practical standpoint if I had to "save up" the 50 to 100 dollar difference between the cost of a Glock and an SR9, then I would just save the money and use it to pay down bills (unless of course you need it for self defense).

If you have the money, just buy whatever you like. And if I liked one model better than another, even if I had to pay to upgrade it, then that is what I would do. I would do it because I wanted to and not for any other reason. I certainly wouldn't head the advice of someone on the internet who told me not to buy a gun that I had to upgrade. That sort of advice is really not appropriate. Buy whatever you like. If you like to upgrade it then do that. If you like something else better, then buy the other product.

For myself, I like CZ's a little bit. But having said that I was always able to get better groups with my Taurus PT-92 than with my friends CZ-75b. I suppose though that if you upgraded the CZ then it might perform better......

The reputation of the SR9 seems rather shady at the moment. But I was tempted to buy one today. Dealer cost is around $350..... so its pretty inexpensive. But then again I already have more guns than I need. Realistically, the Glock 17/ Glock 19 are the best 9mm handguns in the world. Guns like the SR9 and XDM might be decent guns, but they will never be Glocks.

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
piratedude":cim5tj3k said:
Realistically, the Glock 17/ Glock 19 are the best 9mm handguns in the world. Guns like the SR9 and XDM might be decent guns, but they will never be Glocks.

This is perhaps the most intelligent statement that I have read on any forum posting in a very long while. Congrats to a guy who had his head on straight and has sampled the world for the last 20 yrs or so.
And for an add-on, I might throw in the great Glock 26 also.
:) Sonnytoo

EricandSuebee

Single-Sixer
+1 for the two above statements, I will also chime in and say if you feel the G17 is little big, why not look at the G19, I think you'll like it or as Sonny said you can also look at the G26.

Texasgunner

Single-Sixer
prsabordo":x43wz8ji said:
New guy here and looking to own my first firearm. I like the SR9's ergonomics and price but i like the Glock's durability/reliability. Down here in southern California the price of SR9's are going up like crazy, so i am thinking about just saving a little more for a Glock. Problem I have with the Glock is the grip, too big for my hands. Problem i have with the SR9 is the inconsistency/crappy/heavy trigger. Is it possible to have the best of both worlds? I looked at the ghost rocket reset bar available for the SR9 and some tests done on youtube showed that it reduced the average lbs of pull from 9 to 6 ish. Anyone have the same or better results with the ghost rocket or ultimate?

I had to make that exact same dissision when i bought my SR9 -
All i can say is i'm happy - No Ghost installed 8)

leejack

Single-Sixer
This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum.

flatgate is laying out allot of bucks to provide a place for us to talk about our American made Rugers.

This place is turning into a Glock/CZ forum. There are forums for those other fine handguns as well, but it's not this one.

The semi auto section of this forum has gotten way off track lately.

Lee

Pernal

Bearcat
I say the SR9. I have owned both the Glock 17 & 19. I had to put nights on them for me get great groupings. I also put extended slide releases on them. So what is $20 part for the pistol you like, is cheaper and made in the USA.
I would have bought the SR9 & SR9c already if it weren't for the wife wanting a new house we are closing on the end of the month.

ConradM

Blackhawk
pappyd":roef790f said:
They have pretty thin grips, as do CZ's.

I beg to differ on the CZ grips. I find the CZ75 to have a rather fat grip.

But the grips are interchangeable. What you rather "have" to upgrade, your trigger or your grips?

I'd rather have a gun with a good trigger out of the box.

3leggeddog

Single-Sixer
prsabordo":2pl8uv4y said:

Theres lots of reports here on the Ghost trigger bar,some say it help and some say no different. I was very unhappy with my SR9. You should try to get to a range that rents pistols,i did. Our local range rents out Glocks ,XD and MP- NO Rugers! After many trips to the range,I traded in for a MP9 Compact! It has the replaceable back straps.

ConradM

Blackhawk
piratedude":1dm137y3 said:
Not to be rude, but from a practical standpoint if I had to "save up" the 50 to 100 dollar difference between the cost of a Glock and an SR9, then I would just save the money and use it to pay down bills (unless of course you need it for self defense).

If you have the money, just buy whatever you like. And if I liked one model better than another, even if I had to pay to upgrade it, then that is what I would do. I would do it because I wanted to and not for any other reason. I certainly wouldn't head the advice of someone on the internet who told me not to buy a gun that I had to upgrade. That sort of advice is really not appropriate. Buy whatever you like. If you like to upgrade it then do that. If you like something else better, then buy the other product.

For myself, I like CZ's a little bit. But having said that I was always able to get better groups with my Taurus PT-92 than with my friends CZ-75b. I suppose though that if you upgraded the CZ then it might perform better......

The reputation of the SR9 seems rather shady at the moment. But I was tempted to buy one today. Dealer cost is around $350..... so its pretty inexpensive. But then again I already have more guns than I need. Realistically, the Glock 17/ Glock 19 are the best 9mm handguns in the world. Guns like the SR9 and XDM might be decent guns, but they will never be Glocks.

Why would you pay money for something if you're not happy with how it functions? :roll: That's like buying a Mustang GT that only makes 140 hp. Sure it looks good, feels good... But it doesn't quite perform how you'd like.... That's ok though, you can just upgrade it. :lol:

Here's my point... Buy a gun that you "want" to upgrade... Not one that "has" to be upgraded.

I'm not even going to say anything about your ignorant glock comments....

Mike J

Hunter
I would suggest going with what fits your hand. Did you dry fire the SR9 you looked at (with the magazine in of course)? The triggers are supposed to better now. They reconfigured the trigger for the SR9c & are supposed to be using that trigger in the SR9 now.I don't know if there is a serial number range that you could use to know which trigger it has.

I would try to find something as close to what feels right as possible right out of the box. If you don't feel completely comfortable with the SR9 or Glock it might pay you to check out the XD or M&P lines. Renting before you buy would be an excellent suggestion too in my opinion. It might save you some money in the long run.

jhearne

Buckeye
Disregard those SR9 trigger tests I posted between Stock, Polished and the Rocket from Ghost, reminds me I need to remove them from my videos. There were too many inconsistencies and I have much better results from a test I recently did. I'm having to find more time at home now to get videos done though. Recorded, just not finished on the editing.

I will say that my Ghost Rocket trigger was a nice even 5 lbs. From a vise, with a band on the trigger to keep the blade in place and to give the gauge a positive stop to pull against repeatedly. Polished came in 2nd at about 6 lbs even and stock was about 6 lbs 9 ounces. The differences between pulls were down to 2-4 ounces at most, and that was with the Stock reset bar, the Ghost Rocket had about 2 ounces of difference in the pulls, very consistent in comparison.

It's your money, get what you want. Most guns are upgradeable. The SR9 though doesn't have many options for internal parts in the aftermarket sector. Glocks can be tweaked in many many ways. But you don't like the grip, the 17 is bigger than the 19, but only in length, not the width or bulk of the grip. In that respect they are the same.

Glocks are good guns, so are most Ruger SR9s, as are most Sig's and CZ's. A few people here might even argue that most is an understatement on some of the brands mentioned. I'd look into the Sig SP2022, it's affordable and a good gun, and any CZ you can find that you like should be looked at. The number of CZ owners here on RF.com seem to be growing in recent months, there's quite a few owners that have more than just one.

I vote SR9 out of the two guns, but for similar money for the Glock you could find a good SigPro gun or a nice CZ that you might like as much or more.

You shouldn't have to upgrade a gun to get it where you like it.

Josh

ruger_fan

Bearcat
Mike J":2mgmn773 said:
I would suggest going with what fits your hand.

I would try to find something as close to what feels right as possible right out of the box. If you don't feel completely comfortable with the SR9 or Glock it might pay you to check out the XD or M&P lines. Renting before you buy would be an excellent suggestion too in my opinion. It might save you some money in the long run.

FWIW, this is how I purchased.

I shopped off and on for almost a year (!) trying different manufacturers and different models from those manufacturers. Tried everything I could at the LGS and several gun shows. New and old alike.

The two that felt perfect in hand (both size and ergonomic wise) were the Ruger SR9 and the SA XD lines.

When I heard about the SR9c, I immediately went and bought one.

Have no regrets, and no desire to upgrade it (it's a SD/HD gun, and upgrading it wouldn't be smart legal wise if I ever have to use it for that purpose). I shoot accurate enough with it for SD/HD.

If I want a target gun, I might consider something else, but not until I know the nut behind the trigger is getting everything possible out of the SR9c.

CanonLyles

Single-Sixer
Sonnytoo":e7e12ub5 said:
piratedude":e7e12ub5 said:
Realistically, the Glock 17/ Glock 19 are the best 9mm handguns in the world. Guns like the SR9 and XDM might be decent guns, but they will never be Glocks.

This is perhaps the most intelligent statement that I have read on any forum posting in a very long while. Congrats to a guy who had his head on straight and has sampled the world for the last 20 yrs or so.
And for an add-on, I might throw in the great Glock 26 also.
:) Sonnytoo

I hate to agree with you guys on a forum for Rugers, but I'll agree with y'all. Glocks are great guns. I like them. Some think they're ugly. I think they look like a poly pistol.

With that said, I have shot friends Glocks and they were nice. I think the Ruger out shoots G17/19 and is more comfortable in the hand. I love my SR9 and won't trade it for anything. The only time I have a gritty trigger is when the Western Oklahoma wind fills everything up with sand up to my ears. That happens with everybody's guns in those types of conditions though. I didn't mind the heavier trigger, then just for fun I started thinking about a Ghost trigger. Bought a DAO SP101, and now the SR9 trigger is light as a feather.

Ruger Nut10

Single-Sixer
SR9C and with the money saved from the Glock you will have lots of ammo to play with. Being a first gun purchase the extra safety may be a plus since the glock doesn't have that.

jhearne

Buckeye
Ruger Nut10":2hxh4wcn said:
SR9C and with the money saved from the Glock you will have lots of ammo to play with. Being a first gun purchase the extra safety may be a plus since the glock doesn't have that.

Believe the OP is in California, SR9c isn't available there yet if ever.

Josh

zbird

Bearcat
I am not new to firearms, I now have a simulor problem that did not exist till I purchased my sr9c. The ruger feels better in my hand then my 3rd generation glock 23. I thought about selling my glock, but I quickly relized that it woud be a foolish move. I can hit what I'm aiming at, it's reliable,(100% flawless from day one) and it would be the gun I would grab if something went bumb in the night.

Ruger Nut10

Single-Sixer
Well that sux, You would think the compact sould be the go to for Calif since it is a 10 rounder. But if the the rumors are true and the SR9 is getting the newer SR9C trigger then that would be nice too. Same price.