Ruger Redhawk hammer question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Trailduster

Bearcat
I picked up a really nice 4" Redhawk 45 Colt about 3 weeks ago
Shoots great and feels good in my hand.

Only small issue and it's a personal thing,not a knock against it,is the hammer.

Seems kinda small and not nearly wide enough when running it SA mode.

Has anybody used and had luck with the Uncle Mike's or similar hammer extensions?
Either the single sided or double sided types?

Seems like a neat idea but curious about if it would get in the way or perhaps add enough width to the hammer to where it could get caught on something and accidentally cock the hammer back?

I'm right handed and shoot right handed if that helps in the factoring of things.

Thanks a lot
Doug

contender

Ruger Guru
To avoid potential issues with any hammer extensions or whatever,, I've found it easier, smoother, and allows me to keep a consistent grip, by using my OFF hand, (left hand) thumb to cock a revolver instead of using my strong hand.
Most of us use a 2-handed gripping method, and by using the left hand thumb,, it's very easy to cock a revolver.

I do use a hammer extension on my Contender,, because it allows me to cock it easier. But it's because the Contender's hammer is hard to reach due to the scope just above the spur.

Trailduster

Bearcat
To avoid potential issues with any hammer extensions or whatever,, I've found it easier, smoother, and allows me to keep a consistent grip, by using my OFF hand, (left hand) thumb to cock a revolver instead of using my strong hand.
Most of us use a 2-handed gripping method, and by using the left hand thumb,, it's very easy to cock a revolver.

I do use a hammer extension on my Contender,, because it allows me to cock it easier. But it's because the Contender's hammer is hard to reach due to the scope just above the spur.
Hi Contender,
Good info and advice 👍
I actually do use my left thumb to cock the hammer on my Redhawk the same way I do with my Blackhawk.
It's muscle memory all the way and it works.

DutchV

Bearcat
A talented gunsmith could cut the existing hammer spur off and re-weld a wider one. Or widen the current hammer by welding and re-working it. Not sure what that might cost, though.

contender

Ruger Guru
Dutch is correct in that a gunsmith could rework the hammer.

But, as noted,, that could add a serious expense to the pocketbook.

Since you are already using your left thumb to cock it,, I wonder if your gripping method might need a little adjustment if it's hard to do it that way. Gripping a DA, vs a SA, vs a semi-auto is all different.

Latest posts