Ruger Plastic parts opinion

Help Support Ruger Forum:

9x19

Hunter
Ale-8(1)":12ve3iok said:
The future of The Company is in the hands of the kids now, and profitability rules. I don't necessarily like it, but I don't kid myself, either.

:roll:

Profitability has ALWAYS RULED any business. Otherwise, it's not IN business very long.

Ruger has a fair number of discontinued models.

Why were they discontinued?

I'm certain it's not because they had a positive effect on profitability.

AzRebel

Single-Sixer
am just stating an opinion here but in my opinion "people hate change" no matter what it is. Sometimes that change is for the better, sometime not.

I don't think it's change that bothers me. After all, if they changed from plastic to metal I'd be all for it, even if they raised the price.

Daryl

9x19

Hunter
Craig,

I like the new matte stainless finish myself. This is as it came from the box.

1022RPF.jpg

I did not intend to imply a cause-effect relationship between the age of the market and the concept of profitability.

Some things were discontinued because they weren't profitable enough, some because they didn't fit the market strategy, and some because WBR wanted it that way.

:D

BlkHawk73

Hunter
ghostrider":c044ryox said:
My issue with Ruger is: they are producing a product of lesser quailty and demanding a higher resale price.

Still wondering where it's proven there's less quality? Coming from one in the auto industry, lesser quality is a known area though. :lol:

Always nice to see the bashing start out so cheerfully with the new members. :roll:

Sakoluvr

Single-Sixer
9x19":izwgjlwx said:
Sakoluvr":izwgjlwx said:
I can only imagine what would happen if the Marlin 39A went to plastic parts. There is a reason why that rifle still has a following for over 100 years!

Edit: I don't give a darn what the motivation is for plastic (good or bad), as sure as heck would never purchase one.

I'm sure the folks at Ruger are heart-broken to hear it.... then again, maybe I'll buy the one they intended to be yours. :twisted:

Lafin :lol: ................................................

What never goes out of style- steel and craftsmanship.

MarlinMountie.jpg

9x19

Hunter
Sakoluvr":ytk4agnw said:

The Ruger 10/22 still has steel where they need it... the Marlin has been "out of style" with shooters for a while... I have a Marlin 39A from the 50s and it is a great old rife, but "in style" with today's shooters? Nope.

M39Ar.jpg

berettapistols

Blackhawk
I have a 1959 Remington Nylon 66 & have shot the daylights out of that "Plastic" Rifle, That being said I was gonna buy a Ruger Charger but now the trigger group is pastic & if I bought one I'd be looking for a metal replacement "Just Because"..
I luckily picked up a 20" 10/22 last year at Bass Pro Shop with Fiber Optic sights for $139.99 & It looks like that might have been the last of the metal trigger groups..
Beretta made the change on the 92FS & now the recoil rod, trigger, safety levers are polymer, Also note that the M9s used by the miltary are still all made from Metal..
I owned one of the first Glocks back in 1987 & everybody said they were junk, Nowdays just about every law enforcement departments use the "Glock"..
I can go both ways, I like the Nylon 66 & the Glock..
I don't currently own a "Glock" but trust that My Metal Framed Smith & Wesson auto will always work..
Now on to revolvers.. All of mine are made of Carbon Steel or Stainless
Haven't had a chance to shoot a LCR or LCP YET!!
Seems like Polymer guns aren't gonna go away..
Wish I'd have thought of the "Glock"
Steyr & HK had polymer pistols way before "Glock"
I've tried not to Bash the Rugers but I won't be buying any plastic guns from them soon or a MKIII or current 10/22s..
Lay a SP101 next to a LCR & which one has that "Majic"
I think you know what I'm taking about.
Lay a Glock 17 next to a Colt 45, Which one would you choose??

I had to rant a little bit but it looks like "Polymer" Handguns & Rifles are a thing of the Future..

Well anyway my 10/22 & Nylon 66 need to be cleaned, I think I'll do the Ruger First!!

raw6464

Bearcat
I don't question the quality of the plastic guns and there's no question plastics will be an option of choice for the guns of the future. Plastics do have advantages that can't be denied, weight and corrosion proof a few.

The gun manufacturers will continue to find alternative methods to build guns, painting and parkerizing are also in the mix with plastics, all to cut cost.... and to some degree they're better from a maintenance perspective... blued guns do rust.

We can "debate" the likes and dislikes till the cows come home but at the end of the day it's still a personal choice. My generation (The Old Farts) didn't grow up with plastics and some of us paid $$$$$ for guns with craftsmanship and character. It's no surprise if the generations after me will have totally different view... and it's not only guns.

NMCB3

Bearcat
9x19":3m451cwr said:
Sakoluvr":3m451cwr said:

The Ruger 10/22 still has steel where they need it... the Marlin has been "out of style" with shooters for a while... I have a Marlin 39A from the 50s and it is a great old rife, but "in style" with today's shooters? Nope.

M39Ar.jpg
Maybe so, but when todays kids start getting long in the tooth it wont be plastic 10/22`s they yearn for, but that model 39 will definitely call to them, and they`ll probably have to sell four or five plastic 10/22`s to buy it.

I have one 10/22 and one 10/22 Magnum and being that the new ones are plastic I wont be buying any more. I don't mind plastic guns at all unless they take a perfectly good steel gun and cheapen it which IMO is exactly what Ruger has done.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Pure nostalgia. Which by the way, doesn't keep gun makers in business in this US economy.

Only one with no engineering background would consider the molded housing parts as a 'compromise' on any parameter, compared to cast aluminum pot metal. The housings were never made from steel, for those who posted their disdain...

If you think Ruger's engineering staff designs cheap, breakable parts, you're on the wrong forum.

:roll:

Sakoluvr

Single-Sixer
mohavesam, I agree with you. Ruger would not stay in business if they made cheap breakable parts.

My beef is, they is some freaking ugly arse guns compared to steel. No nostalgia, just looks. Hey, I think the new Mustangs are way better looking (and better built) than the originals, say 1965ish. Again, no nostalgia, just looks.

Calling a spade a spade. Just sayin......

9x19

Hunter
NMCB3":pgx34z4w said:
Maybe so, but when todays kids start getting long in the tooth it wont be plastic 10/22`s they yearn for, but that model 39 will definitely call to them, and they`ll probably have to sell four or five plastic 10/22`s to buy it.

Wish-full thinking.... I think. :D

Latest posts