Your Opinion Mark II or Mark IV

Help Support Ruger Forum:

buckshot

Single-Sixer
I've decided that I need a Ruger Mark series pistol. I have never shot or even handled one so I need some options for those that have experience with them. I have read a lot about them and the MK II and MK IV seem to be the most popular. I breakdown and reassembly of the MK IV is obviously easier and a huge selling point to some, but I am fairly mechanical and the MK II operation doesn't scare me. I really think I would prefer a stainless standard model to the 22/45 but if you disagree tell me why. As of now I'm really leaning towards a MK II or MK IV Stainless Target model. Which would you choose and why? Any if you prefer something else tell me why. Also I do plan to also buy an original Standard (MK I) in my birth year when I find one, so no need to tell me they are your preferred model and not to buy the others. I want both a old Standard model and a newer target model. Thanks for the help guys.

Here are a couple of KMK4's. I have both Mark 1 and Mark 2 models. I can take down and put together either model with no problem. The Mark 3 is a lawyer special with the loaded chamber indicator and magazine disconnect. I have not handled a Mark 4 but a friend of mine likes his
20220903_204842.jpg

eveled

Hawkeye
You can't make a bad decision here.

Even MK3's are great, if you get one cheap.

I'm pretty well invested in MKII's. So I enjoy the magazine compatibility between them.

Boils down to which grip angle you like or are familiar with. I never really felt good with the 'Lugar' grip angle and went with the 22/45 which just feels better for me.
II or IV? I've not found the mechanics of Ruger 22 pistol maintenance to be problematic. For one thing, it's not something required after every shooting session. Even my suppressor host only gets cleaned maybe once a year and the beater/trapline/chore 22/45 II hasn't been dis-assembled for cleaning since ???.

codebreaker

Single-Sixer
I have owned a couple of the 22/45s. I could not shoot them well, maybe because of the light weight, but I don't know if that even makes sense. I like the metal framed Mark IVs because of the weight and ease of cleaning and I much prefer 22LRs with adjustable sights. I have a Mark IV Hunter and Target. If I had bought one with a threaded barrel first, I wouldn't have bought another when I decided I wanted also a suppressor. Had to do the same thing with 10/22s - buy another with a threaded barrel.

If I was starting over with a 22 pistol, I would go with the Mark IV Tactical and remove the bottom rail and maybe the top rail but my Target with the threaded barrel is OK too. I think adjustable sights and threaded barrels are a good thing. Suppressors on a 22LR are entertaining. I like Mark IVs better than II and III.

Last edited:

Johnnu2

Hunter
I have one Mk II and one Mk IV Lite. I am very mechanically 'inclined' and still jate taking the Mk II apart (I clean my guns after each day out firing them). Now that I'm OLD AS DIRT, I find my eyesight makes re-assembling the Mk II a PIA; frankly, it was always a PIA even when I could see better. My vote: Mk. IV.

IMHO,
J.

The Norseman

Blackhawk
Good morning. I would not shy away from any
of the Ruger Mark I-IV's.

I had a 1979 Target Model, really liked it. Very
reliable, accurate, and just a nice pistol.

Disassembly and assembly never gave me a
problem. A very clever, engineered pistol.

The Best to you on your choice and your
Endeavors.

Dave Schwaab

Single-Sixer
I got a Mark IV 22/45 for my son. Not a big fan. I prefer my Mark II 22/45.

I have 4 Mark IIs: the 22/45, a 51/2 inch bull barrel Target, a Competition Target and a 6 inch barrel Standard. I love the Mark IIs, they are the best of the series.

Don't worry about the horror stories of not being able to get them back together, just pay attention to where the hammer strut is at all times and they are no problem. Check out this video:

I've got a couple Mark II's and the 22/45 IV. Without a doubt the Mark II's are more accurate. The IV is the 22/45 lite version and the ii's are stainless. I'm sure this has something to do with the accuracy differences.

I do like the IV. I put in a tandemkross (sp) trigger which is super light and amazing. But overall the weight of the gun makes it more comfortable for me.

Certain models of the IV have barrels that can accept silencers. I don't think the Mark II's have this feature. Not sure if that is important to you.

Dan in MI

Staff member
I'm a big fan of II's, neutral on I's (I've modified most of mine into II's) Severe dislike of III's. I do not like the feel/balance of 22/45's. I've only held a IV once when they were first introduced. Didn't get me excited.

"Certain models of the IV have barrels that can accept silencers. I don't think the Mark II's have this feature. Not sure if that is important to you."
$100 and a few days turnaround takes care of that. I had 5.5" 22/45 II threaded a couple years ago. With a slim profile, short body suppressor, the package comes out nearly the same as one of the 10-10.5" pistols (only quieter).

codebreaker

Single-Sixer
I can't remember. Do all of the uppers from all Mark IVs including the 22/45s, interchange with all Mark IV lowers?

wproct

Single-Sixer
I have owned both MKI and MKII's, no MKIII or MKIV's. The MKII is my favorite, has the 10 round magazine and auto bolt lock on last shot in magazine. I don't need the magazine safety or loaded cartridge indicator of the MKIII. Also, I prefer the magazine release on the bottom of the grip frame rather than the push button on the MKIII. If I was younger I would probably own a MKIV just out of curiosity but I don't need it and don't have the available cash to buy one just because. I have always had to do some Volquartsen internals work on my MKII pistols to make them run to my satisfaction.

Latest posts