Ruger P97 anymore fans

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mcole

Bearcat
i still have my 97dc and im not giving it up. accurate , durable and has never failed. mcole

k-oss

Bearcat
I worked as an Armored car security officer for a while and I used my tried and true P97 as my side arm. That means I have a lot of confidence in it. Truth be told, though, I would have used my Kimber Eclypse if the company allowed it.

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
Only thing I don't like, and it's purely cosmetic, is that dang metal serial number right on the SIDE of the grip.
Drives me insane. It's the first thing I look at on a 95 as well and probably why I haven't bought one yet. Just tacky looking to me.

resident

Single-Sixer
gatorhugger":53c57t3s said:
Only thing I don't like, and it's purely cosmetic, is that dang metal serial number right on the SIDE of the grip.
Drives me insane. It's the first thing I look at on a 95 as well and probably why I haven't bought one yet. Just tacky looking to me.

Some of the rubber grips put that serial number outta sight (although the Hogue grips on my P97 have a cut-out for it.) It doesn't bother me at all, but there are other things in life I've been known to fixate on to the point of distraction. I understand your meaning.

G 36 Shooter

Bearcat
Count me in. I am new to this forun, great site. I have owned my P97 for a long time, have to check when I bought it. Great gun runs like a Timex, I wish Ruger did'nt discountinue it. Will always keep mine.

plusp

Bearcat
Got this one from a local sporting goods store a few years ago, with ruger rebate it cost me around $320.00. Wouldn't part with it.
100_0936.jpg

Anthony Williams

Single-Sixer
Loved everything about the ol' 97 except one thing, and that's the "Butt Ugly, OMG lookin' "Flash Gordon" molded grip! The 97 should of had a molded checkered grip like on the 345. But that was a concept well beyond the imagination of the chimpanzee who thought up the original grips on the fated 97. :roll:

A.W.

96-EJ6

Bearcat
I just picked up my P97 about a month ago, what a great gun! It came in the original case with "Uncle Mike's" grips, a holster and looks like it's brand new. I bet the previous owner put less than 100 rounds through it! I consider it a fantastic deal for $279. I've only had a chance to put about 200 rounds through it so far, but every time I shoot it I like it even better. I was a bit put off with the lack of a safety initaly, however after a few sessions at the range I've come to love the simplicity of the double-action first shot.

For those of you that carry this gun, what amunition do you carry with? Currently, I'm using MagTech 185 gr. +P JHP's for home defence (not carrying yet).

resident":2rbqveon said:
OK... exactly WHAT is the difference between the early "troublesome" slide stops that self-removed...and the subsequent "improved" ones that Ruger used as replacements?

I haven't had any issues with mine yet...any other concerns or trouble spots to be aware of?

RedFalconBill

Bearcat
96-EJ6":24fx1nzh said:
For those of you that carry this gun, what amunition do you carry with? Currently, I'm using MagTech 185 gr. +P JHP's for home defence (not carrying yet).

I use 230gr Speer Gold Dot.

mbott

Bearcat
In looking back, I've owned 3 P97s (still have the last one) and 4 P95s. My last P95 went to my youngest. I much prefer the P97 over the P345: just feels better in my hand.

--
Mike

96-EJ6

Bearcat
So update with my P97... Slide lock issue...

Went to the range today and put about 110 rounds through her. After the first 60-70 rounds it started ejecting the spent casings in a irratic pattern; some to my right, some back over my head, and a few right in my face! So after being pelted with hot brass a couple of times I gave the gun a quick once-over, everything appeared to be just fine so I figured maybe it just didn't like the MagTech amunition I was using (switched from hand loads to the Magtech's at the 50 round mark). I sent a few more rounds down range then it began to missfeed (great malfunction training)...and after 2 missfeeds I ended up with a double-feed. The spent case extracted from the chamber but ended up backwards in the action and jammed the slide 1/2 open. At this point I clear the jam and unload the gun to give it a bit more intense inspection, and there it is staring me in the face; the slide lock had worked itself about 1/4 inch out away from the frame. I lined up the disassembly marks popped the pin back to its home and finished the session without further issues. Needless to say I'll be calling Ruger on Monday morning to get the updated slide lock, guide pin and recoil spring on the way. I'll try to post pictures of the old parts and the new parts when they come in.

railroader

Single-Sixer
I just had to get a new slide stop for my p97. I had it pop out the other day. The way I could tell it was bad for sure was to install it in the frame with the slide off. When I turned the gun on it's side the slide stop would fall out. I called ruger and they said I probably needed a slide stop. They didn't offer anything free. They told me what part to order. The part was $35 plus $3.50 shipping. The gun is fixed now and runs like a top. Mark