Ruger Mark IV Video.....are my Mark IIs now obsolete???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TomV

Bearcat
flyerdoc said:
TomV said:
FYI-check this out:
An inexpensive hardware solution to the reinstall the hammer mainspring assembly into Ruger MK pistols easily, quickly, and CORRECTLY EVERY TIME.  The new Hammer Strut Support (HSS) installs in seconds and remains in the handle.  The hammer strut will never again get lodged under the cross-pin in the handle.
PRE-ORDER until Oct 21, for $10 with free shipping at:
HammerStrutSupport.com

That is interesting, but the R&D is a bit suspect according to the website the HSS will work on the Mark III but they are not sure if it will work on the Mark I and II...it says to stay tuned to further developments. Lol, this one must really be done on a shoestring budget. I mean couldn't they at least borrow a few more models to see if it was going to work??? Weird!

Yes, this is a one-man operation. I am a retired aerospace systems engineer and program manager, with several patents, so this is not really a very complicated project, but it still needs to be done right. I have been shooting pistols for over 60 years, so I am not exactly a novice with pistols or engineering.

I just recently patented the Hammer Strut Support (HSS), and had some precision laser-cut samples made, and just this week sent them out to owners of Mk II & MK I pistols for testing. I believe they will work in those pistols, see the link:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=244834

I should hear back from them within a week and will post the results. As I moved to Florida after retiring, and do not live near many homes or any gun ranges, and do my shooting in the woods, there was nobody that I knew with the Mk II or MK I pistols, and asked for help with the testing, as shown by the above link. I know the HSS works in my MK III, but need to confirm the other results before making any other claims.

As the HammerStrutSupport.com website states, the product is not expected to be available from the manufacturer until the end of October, so we will know about Mk II and Mk I compatibility prior to product actually becoming available. But, pre-orders are being taken now to reserve items in the first production lot.

I hope you continue to follow this testing, as I believe you will be happy with the results. Thanks for your interest and comments. :) --Tom

Mag-force

Single-Sixer
Hell raiser let me know when you toss those pistols in the garbage can. I 'll be there to get! Only take me couple of hrs. to get there. real nice set pistols

ChattanoogaPhil

Bearcat
I think it's a pretty safe bet that IIs will forever hold their value but I believe the IIIs will become cheap.

chet15

Hawkeye
Looks like all the MKIII's will soon be obsolete as well....including the LITE's.
Presuming the MK4 design will be adapted to all models.
Chet15

flyerdoc

Single-Sixer
TomV said:
flyerdoc said:
TomV said:
FYI-check this out:
An inexpensive hardware solution to the reinstall the hammer mainspring assembly into Ruger MK pistols easily, quickly, and CORRECTLY EVERY TIME.  The new Hammer Strut Support (HSS) installs in seconds and remains in the handle.  The hammer strut will never again get lodged under the cross-pin in the handle.
PRE-ORDER until Oct 21, for $10 with free shipping at:
HammerStrutSupport.com

That is interesting, but the R&D is a bit suspect according to the website the HSS will work on the Mark III but they are not sure if it will work on the Mark I and II...it says to stay tuned to further developments. Lol, this one must really be done on a shoestring budget. I mean couldn't they at least borrow a few more models to see if it was going to work??? Weird!

Yes, this is a one-man operation. I am a retired aerospace systems engineer and program manager, with several patents, so this is not really a very complicated project, but it still needs to be done right. I have been shooting pistols for over 60 years, so I am not exactly a novice with pistols or engineering.

I just recently patented the Hammer Strut Support (HSS), and had some precision laser-cut samples made, and just this week sent them out to owners of Mk II & MK I pistols for testing. I believe they will work in those pistols, see the link:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=244834

I should hear back from them within a week and will post the results. As I moved to Florida after retiring, and do not live near many homes or any gun ranges, and do my shooting in the woods, there was nobody that I knew with the Mk II or MK I pistols, and asked for help with the testing, as shown by the above link. I know the HSS works in my MK III, but need to confirm the other results before making any other claims.

As the HammerStrutSupport.com website states, the product is not expected to be available from the manufacturer until the end of October, so we will know about Mk II and Mk I compatibility prior to product actually becoming available. But, pre-orders are being taken now to reserve items in the first production lot.

I hope you continue to follow this testing, as I believe you will be happy with the results. Thanks for your interest and comments. :) --Tom

Well Tom, your situation is understood. And I think sending it out for what would be Beta testing on other units is a fine idea. I'm just surprised you didn't go and purchase a Mark I and II for your own testing. Given what it costs to patent, those two guns would be a drop in the bucket, no? Anyway, I do wish you success and would be happy to purchase one for my Mark II if it all works. Good luck.

TomV

Bearcat
Flyerdoc,

Thanks for the best wishes. For those that might be interested, you can get a patent without a lawyer. Nolo Press has a book that I would highly recommend: "Patent It Yourself". It has step-by-step instructions, and it is easier now with the Internet and the US Patent Office online, and Google patent searches. If interested you can find the book for $50 at:
http://store.nolo.com/products/patent-it-yourself-pat.html

I did this entire patent application process myself, and this was not the first that I have done myself. As I am over 65 yrs of age. my total cost was $400 to file for the patent, and $240 for it to issue, not counting $50 for a few small used measurement tools that I needed to buy for the engineering.

Also, I have heard back from some of the testers, and the HSS product works in the MK III and the MK II pistols as is with no modifications. When fitting the HSS into the MK I, some minor fitting is required: deepening the cross-slot another 10 thousands of an inch or so, e.g.: with a small file.

Again, thanks for the best wishes. --Tom

Hellraiser

Single-Sixer
Mag-force said:
Hell raiser let me know when you toss those pistols in the garbage can. I 'll be there to get! Only take me couple of hrs. to get there. real nice set pistols

What's yore address... I'll UPS'em over to ya... labeled...

"Farm tools."

Screw them FFL's... hehehehehe....

flyerdoc

Single-Sixer
TomV said:
Flyerdoc,

Thanks for the best wishes. For those that might be interested, you can get a patent without a lawyer. Nolo Press has a book that I would highly recommend: "Patent It Yourself". It has step-by-step instructions, and it is easier now with the Internet and the US Patent Office online, and Google patent searches. If interested you can find the book for $50 at:
http://store.nolo.com/products/patent-it-yourself-pat.html

I did this entire patent application process myself, and this was not the first that I have done myself. As I am over 65 yrs of age. my total cost was $400 to file for the patent, and $240 for it to issue, not counting $50 for a few small used measurement tools that I needed to buy for the engineering.

Also, I have heard back from some of the testers, and the HSS product works in the MK III and the MK II pistols as is with no modifications. When fitting the HSS into the MK I, some minor fitting is required: deepening the cross-slot another 10 thousands of an inch or so, e.g.: with a small file.

Again, thanks for the best wishes. --Tom

That's awesome Tom and I am glad to hear it was so reasonable. I guess I must be jaded by the cost to patent something in the medical field. Maybe not so much to do the patent itself, but the cost to defend infringement (read theft) of the patent. As you know if you don't defend it, you lose it. In the field of medicine pockets run extremely deep. Corporations are huge and have no morals especially where small individuals are concerned.

Again, best of luck and I will be ordering one for my Mark II.

RandyP

Bearcat
Not 'cheap' but my LGS is offering 10% off all MK III's in their inventory.

azbeemr

Bearcat
I ordered a blue target Mark IV after watching the first review without even a test fire. First they were "allocated" then GB wanted MSRP+, finally found one at a local brick and mortar albeit online.
1. I have 5 or 6 mk II's and one 4-digit Standard. I never cared for the key/lock/safety on the III's. I know the standard's mags are not interchangeable,
but are the mk II mags useable in a mk III? As per Ruger you can use III mags in a IV.
2. If the mkII mags need modification to work in a IV will they still be backwards compatible? Or is it like Intel CPU's?

steamloco76

Single-Sixer
I own two MKIIs and a MKIII Target which are by no means obsolete. The MarkIV solves the one major complaint against otherwise superb pistols, however, those of us who have learned the assembly quirks of the older pistols will happily keep shooting them for many years to come.

rugerguy211

Single-Sixer
My Mark II will stay as my main bullseye competition gun. It's served me well for many, many years so I feel no NEED to replace it.
The III was never of interest because it simply had nothing at all to offer over my II, for my purposes.
Having said that, the Mark IV has caught my eye. If I buy another gun, the IV will be at the top of the list at this point.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
rugerguy211 said:
My Mark II will stay as my main bullseye competition gun. It's served me well for many, many years so I feel no NEED to replace it.
The III was never of interest because it simply had nothing at all to offer over my II, for my purposes.
Having said that, the Mark IV has caught my eye. If I buy another gun, the IV will be at the top of the list at this point.
That's my thinking exactly. I have a late issue MkII 22/45 (factory drilled and tapped and included a scope rail) that's been great and I saw nothing in the MKIII models that offered any benefits but had several disadvantages.

Now, the MkIV is a different animal and I just bought a Stainless Target model. So far it's been perfect. Now all i have to do is wait for a Volquarson trigger kit for it to hit the market.

Latest posts