Ruger Direct impingement AR!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Brlux

Bearcat
Any idea if this will come with a life time warranty?

How long before these can be easily found on the shelf at local gun stores? perhaps 6 months or so?

Looks like a quality build with all the features am looking for in my first AR-15.

9x19

Hunter
Looks like the S&W Sport will have some competition... except Ruger's AR comes with the mostly useless FA and dust cover.

Brlux

Bearcat
Well I wouldn't say useless features. The last time I was shooting with someone who had an AR it was a fancy side charger with a non reciprocating handle and no forward assist. For some reason it was having a hard time going the last fraction of an inch in to battery, the only option was to rack out the good round and hope the next one went in fully. At that point I decided that when I did get an AR it would have to have a forward assist.

jeffnles1

Blackhawk
Hopefully they start showing up soon. One new rifle I'm interested in.
This and the new LCR 9MM look to be quite interesting.

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
9x19 said:
Looks like the S&W Sport will have some competition... except Ruger's AR comes with the mostly useless FA and dust cover.

A large part of that is marketing. Priced to directly compete with the S&W M&P Sport, but leaving the FA and dust cover on so it looks more AR'ish (minimal cost increase).

Charlie

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
Love the serrated face on the front sight. Delta ring feature could be nice. Wish it had a mid length gas system with that 16" barrel though.

Charlie

steenroller

Bearcat
May have to get this one just to have a Ruger branded lower for another build. Already have one that fits the 16" barrel slot.

triggerpull

Single-Sixer
ha hah--just what the market needs--yet another AR. ; ) From what I can tell the only new thing it brings to the table is the barrel nut--which I suppose has been improved to avoid the standard crush ring for the hand guard--I hate that tool which goes around it and must pivot off the mag well. If Ruger had just spent a tiny bit more and delivered it standard with some kind of free-float rail at a similar price point--then maybe they would capture some notice in what is probably the most competitive market niche in the firearms industry. 1:8 twist standard is pretty cool--hopefully it groups really well.

clayflingythingy

Single-Sixer
Ho hum.

The black rifle market imploded a while back.

Ruger should have introduced this instead of the piston AR back when. I am AR'd out.

triggerpull

Single-Sixer
Buckeye Bill said:
9x19 said:

I do not need another AR but I will most likely get one of these.

I would never consider an AR that did not have a forward assist.

The Dust Cover is a simple and effective feature.

Both are a MUST HAVE!

Bill
Respectfully disagree--for non-combat or non critical tactical/defense roles--I believe a smooth side AR is just fine. I don't think this weapon is aimed at special forces or swat teams. These days a "civi-market" AR--better known as a "modern sporting rifle" IMO needs a good trigger group and a good rail to stand out--the ability to group well for paper-punching, hunting or 3 gun competitions is more important than the ability to operate full-auto/ mil-spec.

9x19

Hunter
Buckeye Bill said:
9x19 said:

I do not need another AR but I will most likely get one of these.

I would never consider an AR that did not have a forward assist.

The Dust Cover is a simple and effective feature.

Both are a MUST HAVE!

Bill

In 30 years of owning/shooting ARs, I don't think I have ever used the forward assist... the dust cover? I'm too old to enjoy rolling around in the dirt before I shoot, so yeah, mostly useless.

black029

Single-Sixer
Could this finally mean the end of the Mini 14? I mean it's heavier, more expensive, generally less accurate, and doesn't use P mags. My friend, maybe the largest dealer in North Carolina, has around 3,000 guns in stock. None are Minis, and that was before this came out.
Not wishing, or predicting: just wondering.

9x19

Hunter
I wouldn't be surprised, though perhaps the Mini 30 will survive a bit longer.

I'd rather have my Mini 30 than any AK on the market (I like optics)