Bolt actions using AR magazines

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I only have a single specimen but I've noticed something that should have been apparent from the beginning. A bolt action magazine (internal or detachable) only needs to present a cartridge for feeding at whatever rate of operation the user can muster. An AR magazine is expected to deliver a cartridge for feeding for up to full auto fire rate.
In order to accomplish this, the AR magazine must have a stronger spring and possibly tighter feed lips resulting in far more 'drag' (in both directions) during feeding which is noticeable in the bolt action rifle.
^^Stuff I think about while sitting in the grain cart tractor waiting for the next dump.^^

And this is why I prefer a roller mag for my AR-magazine fed, bolt action .223/5.56 chambered rifles.

I have found the drag associated with a conventional all-metal AR magazine to be enough to push my rifles out of a mechanical rest or off of sandbags while chambering a round if I don't use my offhand to hold the rifle securely in place.

At this point I consider bolt actions somewhere between matchlock and flintlock in practical functionality. The AR platform has eclipsed it in every practical way. I must say after a boring session of endlessly hitting everything I aimed at as fast as I can squeeze the trigger a Flintlock brings me back to interesting shooting. Click...Whoosh...Bang maybe.

Excellent point! I generally use 5 or 10 round mags in my bolt actions, and 20s in my ARs; in fact, the modified Kel-Tec mags I use in my 5.56 Ruger American Ranch rifle won't even fit an AR. I could probably cut a coil off the mag springs for the bolt action mags, and still have reliable function.

Another factor might be cock-on-opening - most of us are used to it, but actions that cock-on-closing (such as the Lee-Enfield) can be more conducive to smooth operation & rapid, accurate fire.

As always IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc., etc.
:)

dsf

Bearcat
I have a Remington 700 in 5.56 that I dropped off at Pacific Tool & Gauge in southern OR (I have a place in Grants Pass) a few years back. They sell metal lower that accepts AR magazines. They milled the underside of the rails so the mag would sit up high enough to be picked up by the bolt. Works fine with metal lip magazines, not at all with the plastic stuff. Kind of fun to use. I can go to the range with a couple 20 round magazines and not have to carry any other ammo.

An interesting option has turned up: AMEND2 makes a 'single feed' 10 round AR type mag for the 6.5 Grendel. I ordered one and tried it last night. Fits snug w/o forcing and feeds only from the right side of the magwell allowing s m o o t h feeding. The downside: the mag body is 20 round length making it less handy for bench use than the normal 10 round length. I think I can live with that since this carbine is primarily for hunting and only bench use is zeroing. :D

Jury is still out on the AMEND2 mags. Did a bit of range testing today and not sure if the mags are going to work as well as hoped for. Feeding one round last night was good. Feeding with 5 rounds in the mag today wasn't so good. I'll keep messing with this and pass on what I find. :cautious:

Latest posts