Ruger Direct impingement AR!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DGW1949

Hunter
Ale-8(1) said:
Darn.

Up 'til now I haven't "needed" an AR.

:wink: :wink: :wink:

"Need an AR?"......no, me neither....and it aint a big secret around here that I aint an AR guy. That don't mean that I don't know how to use one though....and I gotta admit that I've been looking at this one a lot more than I probably should be. :lol: .

DGW

DGW1949

Hunter
Ale-8(1) said:
Darn.

"Need an AR?"......no, me neither....and it aint a big secret around here that I aint an AR guy. That don't mean that I don't know how to use one though....and I gotta admit that I've been looking at this one a lot more than I probably should be. If it had a fixed stock, I'd probably be done for. :lol: .

DGW

triggerpull

Single-Sixer
DGW1949 said:
Ale-8(1) said:
Darn.

"Need an AR?"......no, me neither....and it aint a big secret around here that I aint an AR guy. That don't mean that I don't know how to use one though....and I gotta admit that I've been looking at this one a lot more than I probably should be. If it had a fixed stock, I'd probably be done for. :lol: .

DGW
spoken like a veteran M16 user ; ) I've had many AR's--even built a couple, and have to admit I'm AR'd out. But Wyndham weaponry--the original Bushmaster makers before they became a conglomerate--is back in business here in Maine and they make a gorgeous wood AR--I've seen em and they are available in various wood finishes.

R18FFTWS-2-308%20L.jpg

groberts

Single-Sixer
black029 said:
You're probably right. Just thought if a Ruger fan went to purchase a 5.56, he might opt for a $569 (the price on the first to hit "my" store) AR556, instead of a Mini. But each has their devoted followers.
I'm hoping the price of the Mini will follow. It'd be nice to see a $200 drop in price for that. Actually, I am seeing it in the used market with Mini's regularly going for under $500. I really blew it last week when I missed one for $399 by 15 minutes.

welder

Buckeye
Saw one today at Whittaker's. $569.00. Very handsome gun. It'll probably do well on the price point alone as it was the least expensive on the rack there today that I saw. I went snooping around for a look at the LCR9mm but none there.

hpman66

Hunter
groberts said:
black029 said:
You're probably right. Just thought if a Ruger fan went to purchase a 5.56, he might opt for a $569 (the price on the first to hit "my" store) AR556, instead of a Mini. But each has their devoted followers.
I'm hoping the price of the Mini will follow. It'd be nice to see a $200 drop in price for that. Actually, I am seeing it in the used market with Mini's regularly going for under $500. I really blew it last week when I missed one for $399 by 15 minutes.

IMHO, that'll never happen. If for no other reasons than the cost of manufacturing the Mini vs. the AR, the much higher demand for the AR's and have you ever heard of very many people doing their own home build on a mini?

mohavesam

Hawkeye
So Ruger tells G&A the MSRP is "about $599", then a few days later tells Quinn MSRP is "$749". That didn't take long, eh?
A full 25% increase is not an "adjustment", it's a reflection of POOR Production cost analysis.
(That's a basic skill expectation of manufacturing management) , Way to go Mayodan!

This carbine is made in Mayodan NC with newbie employees. Granted, it's a parts-bin gun so assembly isn't very complicated, but... I'd side with my Ruger 'smith and give 'em a good part-by-part inspection before firing one.

Considering your LGS can order up an AR for about $420 dealer cost from a couple very well known makers, I'd also opine the AR market is pretty well saturated, at least in our rural areas. But in the cities there seems to be a sustaining buyer base?

- Who is still spending a thousand bucks or more on an AR gun these days???? :roll:

mohavesam said:
So Ruger tells G&A the MSRP is "about $599", then a few days later tells Quinn MSRP is "$749". That didn't take long, eh?
A full 25% increase is not an "adjustment", it's a reflection of POOR Production cost analysis.
(That's a basic skill expectation of manufacturing management) , Way to go Mayodan!

This carbine is made in Mayodan NC with newbie employees. Granted, it's a parts-bin gun so assembly isn't very complicated, but... I'd side with my Ruger 'smith and give 'em a good part-by-part inspection before firing one.

Considering your LGS can order up an AR for about $420 dealer cost from a couple very well known makers, I'd also opine the AR market is pretty well saturated, at least in our rural areas. But in the cities there seems to be a sustaining buyer base?

- Who is still spending a thousand bucks or more on an AR gun these days???? :roll:

A LOT of 3gun guys I shoot with.

TucsonDirt

Single-Sixer
In case you haven't been around AR-15 guys much, there are a lot of folks who sneer at a low-priced AR.
The S&W M&P Sport gets jeers just because it doesn't have the FA and dust cover from this crowd.

Although to many these features aren't necessary (myself included) for a range gun,
Ruger addressed this with their entry into the market and will win sales from S&W because of this.

There are still those who won't touch a low-priced AR like the AR-556 for whatever reason -- I've read many
opinions on other forums by those who swear by Colt or much-higher priced ARs.

One reason I like Ruger forum folks is this lack of snobbery --
-- we like solid guns that work, there is a fair amount of brand diversity here, and we don't see the value of buying a $1.5K gun when our
sub $700 gun will do the same job.

dakota1911

Buckeye
I bought one a couple days ago during a Ruger sponsored "Octoberfest" sale. They were not a featured item. I forgot about the sale and went in to look through the gun store. They had SR1911s for $625 and a bunch of other Ruger stuff I already own. The AR-556 was a $670 ouch, but I threw it on layawake. A couple of years ago I bought my first SR1911 during one of these events for $590, and it took hours to buy it. Better to throw it on layawake and come back when the crowds are gone to fill out the rest of the paperwork.

I bought a Ruger SR-762 last year and am highly impressed with it. This will be the first gun I have owned that shoots 223 or 556. Heck when I was miloto age the USA had M14s and 1911s. This will give me time to buy some ammo for it. Will have to post a what do I think of it down the road.

cyphertext

Bearcat
TucsonDirt said:
In case you haven't been around AR-15 guys much, there are a lot of folks who sneer at a low-priced AR.
The S&W M&P Sport gets jeers just because it doesn't have the FA and dust cover from this crowd.

Although to many these features aren't necessary (myself included) for a range gun,
Ruger addressed this with their entry into the market and will win sales from S&W because of this.

There are still those who won't touch a low-priced AR like the AR-556 for whatever reason -- I've read many
opinions on other forums by those who swear by Colt or much-higher priced ARs.

One reason I like Ruger forum folks is this lack of snobbery --
-- we like solid guns that work, there is a fair amount of brand diversity here, and we don't see the value of buying a $1.5K gun when our
sub $700 gun will do the same job.

I don't know that Ruger will steal many sales from S&W. The barrel isn't chrome lined like a mil-spec rifle, nor Melonite treated like a S&W. Also, the proprietary gas block with the taper pins on top, as well as the proprietary barrel nut and delta ring are seen as negatives by many.

I would still choose the Sport over the Ruger, but I am glad to see another well known manufacturer provide a lower cost option.

groberts

Single-Sixer
mohavesam said:

No, Ruger told G&A the street price would be around $599 and it is.