Ruger DA duty guns, what would you carry?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

If you were going to carry a Ruger on duty.......

• 6" Full or 1/2 lug GP100

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4" Full lug, adjustable sight GP100

• 4" fixed sight GP100, full or half lug

• 4" Speed or Service Six

• 6" Security Six

• 4" Security Six

• Total voters

stantheman86

Buckeye
If you were going to carry a full size Ruger DA in a holster, as a "duty gun", which one would you choose?

Assuming you are a uniformed LEO or a security guard, not a detective, etc. so I'll exclude guns like SP101's and 2 3/4" Sixes, and 3" GP100's. Blue or SS would be up to you, I won't make them poll options lol

This poll is inspired by a gun shop conversation I had where no one believed that I had a 6" full lug GP100 that was carried by a local part-time LEO, and I was like "Why not, I'd carry one!" I've even used a 6" GP100 for CC a few times. One guy was like "no one carried 6" wheelguns"........ :?

donut757

Blackhawk
Not only for use as the said "duty gun", the 4" security six can not be beat IMO. That is the gun of choice for me when on the boat, in the woods, bedside, and general plinking it gets shot just as much as any other centerfire.

glockman99

Single-Sixer
4" full lug, adjustable sight, stainless GP100 in .357 magnum, with Hogue wood Monogrip...To my way of thinking, it is the perfect revolver duty-gun.

Lost Sheep

Single-Sixer
Note that the standard duty carry gun for .357 used to be the 6-inch "Highway Patrolman", Smith & Wesson Model 28 built on the "N" frame. Comparable Ruger would be the Redhawk .357 Mag.

4" barrels were for 38 Specials.

Smith chambered their "K" frame revolvers in .357 to accommodate the desire for a lighter duty gun to be carried for a full shift and the 4" barrel because a 6" barrel in a holster gun was inconvenient when seated in a vehicle.

So, the lighter weight frame and short barrel were COMPROMISES IN PERFORMANCE and ENDURANCE for the sake of comfort and convenience.

Good compromises, in my opinion, but nonetheless.

As far as the comment, "One guy was like "no one carried 6" wheelguns........", maybe that's true now, but I am here to tell you that I was once (1979) in a room in Alabama surrounded by Deputies, who, every one, had those "N" frame Smiths on their hips. The pipsqueak of the bunch was about 6'2" and upwards of 220 lbs, though, so I imagine they could take the weight. I didn't ask caliber. Barrel lengths appeared to be a mix of 4" and 6".

hittman

Staff member
I voted 4" Service Six but running a close 2nd to that would be one not on the list .... a 3" GP100. Never realized what an excellent balance of size, weight and grip shape those guns are until I was fortunate enough to get one (or two).

CaptBullets

Bearcat
4" Full lug, adjustable sight GP100. Out of the available choices its the one I currently own. A 4" barrel just balances perfect for me and also I think looks better with the full lug vs half. I also prefer the adjustable sights to dial in a particular load.

Just my preferences.

Brian

stantheman86

Buckeye
6gphlstr.JPG

It would be a tough choice for me, I greatly favor fixed sight 4" revolvers like my many Service Sixes and fixed sight GP's but my one 4" stainless adjustable sight GP100 has Meprolight night sights on it, an option my fixed sight guns can't offer.

I have this beat up Safariland holster I got of Fleabay, for a S&W 6" 586-686 so apparently it was used by someone to carry a 6" duty gun.

mep1.JPG

This would probably be my choice, it seems like the best compromise for a "working gun".

Terry T

Buckeye
I'd have to go with a 6", either a Security Six or half lug stainless GP-100 in 357 mag.

I've read that the hit probability of the rural Deputy Sheriffs with 6" wheel guns was much better than urban cops with their 'wonder nines'. Throw in the better stopping power of the 357 mag. over the 9mm and they actually were more effective with the revolvers. :D

Interesting photo from the '60s in LA. Notice the different holsters. The high ride cross draw (far right) worked while seated in a patrol car but presented the gun to a perp standing in front of the cop. The swivel holster allowed one to sit in a patrol car but was almost impossible to draw from while seated.
LA, and later the CHP, standardized on 6" adj. sight .38 spl. S&W K frame guns before eventually going to S&W autos in 40 S&W.

LAPDblackriotphoto08181965.jpg

There is some poor gun handling in the photo but we've come a long way since the '60s. :shock:
Terry T

DGW1949

Hunter
I voted for the 6" Security Six.
Once upon a time, I actualy carried a 4" version of the same gun, but only because it was issued to me. I would have much prefered the longer barrel but as is often the case, the guys who pick the equipment aint the one's who has to use it.

Interesting photo. As gun handling and prisoner transfer goes, it looks like a tutoral on what not to do. :shock: .

DGW

I worked as a part time armed security guard (1990-1992) for the company that provided the security at Dover Downs Raceway in DE (For the NASCAR fans, the Monster Mile). I carried a 4" full lug, adj sight, SS GP100 as did 3 of my coworkers. I still have that gun.

kstoneking

Single-Sixer
In the mid 80's I carried a 6" revolver for about a week before I went back to a 4" version of the same gun. While the only time the 6" was uncomfortable to me was when I was in my patrol car, the muzzle end of the 6" holster pushing into the seat was significantly irritating enough to prompt the change. To me, it wasn't the added weight that was the problem, just the ergonomics.

Kenny

I was a reserve officer in the mid-70's. My personal gun was a 4" model 19 in one of those dorky Bianchi Model 27 break-front holsters. However, I envied those who carried a 6" in a hoyt break-front. That was totally cool. The downside is that I'm on the shorter side and the only way I could have carried a 6" would have been in a swivel holster.

During my time there we had one of the deputies in our county get shot at one night. He carried a 6" in a swivel holster. The bullet hit behind his door at head height. According to the story he ducked down and was desparately trying to get the gun out of the holster but the seat-back prevented him from doing so.

It wasn't too long after that the county went to issuing 4" guns in hoyt break-fronts. I was out by then and didn't hear if this event was the reason.

Edited to add:
I reread the thread title and (now) see it's about what Ruger. A number of years later I had sold off the Model 19 and later a Colt Python and had gotten a 4" SS Security Six with the target grips, but it too got traded off. I now have a first generation 4" GP100, but if I needed to carry a duty revolver again I would opt for the 4" Security or Service Six. Ruger should have never dropped it. IMO it was all the k-frame should have been.

lfpiii

Blackhawk
I would go with the fixed sight 4 inch GP-100 because it would also be easy to carry off duty.

stantheman86

Buckeye
P1210002.JPG

Many older wheelgun aficionado's think the 5" barrel length is the perfect open carry gun......

I would have added 5" GP100 but they are so uncommon it's not a realistic choice 8)

contender

Ruger Guru
I listed my Security-Six as I already have it. I'd have to buy a GP if I were so inclined to go that way.
But I also have a 4" S&W Model 19 that I'd also carry if I didn't have the Ruger. If I only had a 6" then I'd have no problem carrying it.

Terry T

Buckeye
Stantheman,
I don't think I've ever seen a 5" S&W Model 10 with a ROUND butt!
(My 4" S&W 4" round butt Model 12 Airweight is a very easy carry)
Terry T