New to me Six series DA question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Have been discussing the Six series DA's (Security Six, Poice Service Six and Speed Six) with some people and an interesting scenario has come up.

When someone has a Ruger handgun that needs repaired by the factory and it cannot be repaired, Ruger in the past has either replaced it with a like gun or offered a replacement/similar gun at a much lower price. However, most of those guns that were replaced/given discounts seem to be guns that are still being produced.

Has anyone ever heard what Ruger has done in the past if say a Security Six could not be repaired and it wasn't because of neglect, abuse, etc. since the Six series has not been produced since 1988 and Ruger will not take them in for repair any more? Please no conjecture. Has anyone actually heard what Ruger did/didn't do for someone in this situation?

Thanks for any info anyone might have.

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
I've seen posts in the past where people have either gotten a brand new GP100 free of charge or got a hefty price break in a new gun.

I have seen posts where people have had GP100's that were swapped because of their defects, but it was GP100 for GP100. I'm looking for what Ruger might have done for a Security Six, Police Service Six or Speed Six that was defective after Ruger stopped producing them (or even while they were still in production).

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
I have read on other forums that Ruger swapped a beyond repair Six gun for a new GP100 and charged nothing. Also read that they sold the GP for a deep discount.

years ago, we had a couple that went back, Dick B., was the service manager then, , one ( Security Six was "replaced" upgraded after I paid them a difference of $325 for the GP-1oo we got and the other was a stainless Security Six , 357 mag short 2 3/4inch barrel, and the cylinder extractor was bad ( rotated out of position when NO cases or shell were n the chambers, they wanted the same thing,$325 to upgrade to a stainless GP-100 but a 4 in , and we said NO, return it, we welded up the cylinder insides ,filed, refitted the extractor in the slot and sold it the next gun show and it is still working fine to this day......sooo that being said I felt and still feel to this day, if they do NOT want to support, carry parts or work on them,,,I don;t want , or need them....we no longer have access to our "parts " sources from the police departments we dealt with,,,,,,, so NO MORE parts sets/kits,etc..........miss those days.....now about the Red Label shotguns????:unsure::rolleyes::cool:

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
Thank you 357 Terms.

3manfan, I will be calling Ruger to pick their brains, especially if there are any old timers still around.
Let us know what they say. I have a stainless service six that looked almost unfired when I bought it and I doubt I've put more than 500 rounds through it so I'm doubting anything is gonna fail. Also have two NYPD service six guns. The blued one has more mileage in it, for sure, over the stainless one. But both have many more miles on them and I keep them mostly for conversation pieces, anyway. I did buy two full trigger assemblies for the blued and the stainless, just to have around. I do agree Ruger should have made a stockpile of the parts to cover the guns.

TINCANBANDIT is back

Single-Sixer
I bought a 4" Security Six from a guy who sent it in to have the timing fixed, Ruger sent it back, unrepaired with a coupon for a discount on a GP100.
I found a replacement cylinder on gunbroker, fixed the gun and sold it to a neighbor who needed it more than me.

Latest posts