Ruger Customer Service - Superb

Help Support Ruger Forum:

alienbogey

Bearcat
My SR9 developed a habit of not locking open on an empty magazine about 1/3 of the time. I called Ruger and shipped it to them (my dime). Further facts about the pistol, all of which I told Ruger:

> It's about 18 months since I bought it new
> 2000+ dry fires
> Magazine disconnect removed
> Ghost trigger bar installed
> Reloads fired almost exclusively, at least 2,000 rounds

The pistol was returned (their dime) yesterday. From the invoice:

"Barrel - Replaced
Slide Stop Lever Assembly - Replaced
Striker Assembly - Replaced
Striker Cover - Replaced
Trigger Bar and Reset - Replaced
Trigger - Repaired
Mag Disconnect - Repaired

Notes: Upon inspection, slide stop lever assembly was founc (sic) to have been damaged due to improper reassembly. After-market parts were replaced at no charge on a one-time basis as a courtesy, pistol was function-fired 30 rounds without malfunction."

All of this repair and replacement was done at no charge.

Service like that is why I'm a big Ruger fan.

(OBTW, I'm going to pull the mag disconnect on the SR9 and then leave it otherwise stock from now on.)

alienbogey

Bearcat
They say the pistol was reassembled improperly but I have no idea how as they gave no detail other than what I reproduced above. It may have been me when I installed the Ghost, and it may have been by my son who I recently showed how to field strip & clean the pistol and he has been required to clean it himself thereafter when he shoots it, but I don't really know what he might have done wrong, either.

Gizmo42

Single-Sixer
Did they return your ghost trigger bar?

Now I know if I ever have to send in my sr9c to put the stock trigger bar back in first.

aWoods

Single-Sixer
I've owned two Rugers. Both had to go back to the factory due to quality issues. One is on it's second trip to the factory because they didn't examine or fix it the first time.

My glock, my sigs, my savage, my remington, my howa, and my S&W have all been fine from the factory.

I'd prefer if they just got it right the first time. I've got a single six on the way which I'm sure will be fine. Ruger has many excellent designs, but I believe that they need to improve quality.

revhigh

Hawkeye
It's too bad Ruger's Customer Service HAS to be so good .... it'd be better if it wasn't needed so frequently ......

REV

alienbogey

Bearcat
My SR-9's original trigger was terrible and a major disappointment. I did the 2000+ dry fires, which helped some, and the polished job which helped some more, then the Ghost, which helped more, but it wasn't a 3.5# trigger even then.

I'm not putting the Ghost back for two reasons:

1. I don't want to mess the pistol up again (if that's when the 'improper reassembly' occurred)

2. Whatever Ruger did to 'repair' the trigger as per the invoice resulted in a much better trigger than original, and it feels nearly as good if not as good as it did when the Ghost was in.

All in all, I just want to let it alone now and hopefully it will run forever now with just proper cleaning.

Yep, it's the one reason I would be reticent to send one of my Rugers back to them... I think they have to replace any after market parts.... from a liability issue I can't blame them... even though the folks in repair might even agree that the part you put on is better than the factory original.... they got lawyers to answer to.

Vecco

Single-Sixer
blume357":1schpvp5 said:
Yep, it's the one reason I would be reticent to send one of my Rugers back to them... I think they have to replace any after market parts.... from a liability issue I can't blame them... even though the folks in repair might even agree that the part you put on is better than the factory original.... they got lawyers to answer to.

You are correct, by law the gun has to be sent from the factory they was it was designed unless they do they work in which they have another service contract for that work. To send it back it has to be in the same condition that was approved for safety. Normally they will tell you to take all after market parts off and put the stock ones back on before sending it in.

Fishslayer

Single-Sixer
revhigh":21rwhnn3 said:
It's too bad Ruger's Customer Service HAS to be so good .... it'd be better if it wasn't needed so frequently ......

REV

^^^ this.

My next bottom feeder will probably be a used S&W or a Ruger that's old enough that everything from the factory's been fixed already... :twisted:

wixedmords

Blackhawk
It is good to hear that everything has worked out well, very well, for you alienbogey.

It appears Ruger did quite a bit of work on that SR9. It is good to see you hanging with it.

Enjoy that SR9. Thanks for sharing.

A

Anonymous

Yeah, mine has been back too many times to count. I guess because we start counting at 1, and mine has been back to Ruger 0 times.

My trigger is near perfect. I don't know what everybody else's problem is, I guess Ruger likes me.

aWoods

Single-Sixer
revhigh":15tnspsd said:

REV

This is my sentiment as well. IMHO, it's better service to the customer to just make a high quality product with low incidence of defects, so these issues would hardly come up at all.

jhearne

Buckeye
89grand":2rbj4bpq said:
Yeah, mine has been back too many times to count. I guess because we start counting at 1, and mine has been back to Ruger 0 times.

My trigger is near perfect. I don't know what everybody else's problem is, I guess Ruger likes me.

The original SR9 trigger internals had a lot of tolerance and from one extreme to the other, we'd see the end results of that. Poor triggers to even a few who really enjoy the old SR9 stock trigger like yourself.

The SR9c however (and SR9's with V1.2 internals) are redesigned and use much tighter tolerances than before. This supposedly gives the pistols a more uniform experience across the board, and for the most part (reading here on RF) it seems to be well received.

Josh

jhearne

Buckeye
Glad Ruger made it right for you AB, I'd leave it stock with the exception of the Mag DC as well.

For the record, my SR9's only been back to Ruger once, for the Recall, perfect before and after.

Josh

HuttoAg96

Bearcat
I sent mine in for a light strike (I had none in the first 900 rounds, then 1 lightstrike in my last session). They turned it around in the 8-10 business days promised and replaced the striker assembly and striker cover.

Latest posts