ruger blackhawk in 5.56 armalite ctg.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob L

Bearcat
There was a magazine article in the early to mid 70's that covered the conversion. This was quite extensive and consisted of lengthening the frame, making the backstrap longer and recurved, making a new cylinder, and last but not least making it double action. I am currently in possesion of this pistol and am looking for the magazine with the article, or a copy of the article. Any help would be appreciated. thanks, Bob

Terry T

Buckeye
Seems like I remember some interest in handguns and the .223 or 5.56 cartridge in Viet Nam or in the Viet Nam era. I have seen a photo of an Air Calvary door gunner with a .30 carbine Blackhawk. Would be do-able without too much trouble (except for the double action part).
American Derringer made a model up in .223 that I understand was somewhat popular with pilots.
I'd try an internet search with some of the above terms and not focus so much on the word 'Armalite'.
Terry T

Terry T

Buckeye
Are you sure it's not a Taurus? They offered a double action in .223 not long ago.
Terry T

RKBA4CA

Single-Sixer
I converted a junker (not Ruger!) into FN57. Turned a barrel liner and chamber inserts, chambered for 5.7 and voila.

Bob L

Bearcat
I can not post pictures as I dont even know how to get pics from digital camera to computer. I have to take to wal-mart to get printed. If anyone wishes to post pics I can send some snail mail. As I stated in the original post this is no joke and I remember reading the mag. article and thinking that was a hell of a lot effort for something that impracticle.

Terry T

Buckeye
Most computers have a photo program.
However, one could simply take the photo memory card out of the camera and place it in the proper slot in the computer, if so equipped, and use an on-line service like photobucket.com to upload to your (newly created) account. You then would copy and paste the link to here.

Some libraries have public computers and folks that are willing to help you.

Walmart might have a web-storage / sharing service too, where you could park or post the photo or e-mail it to one of us. I checked Walmart's web site and found this link on a photo sharing service they provide.

http://photos.walmart.com/walmart/tipsideassharing

Terry T

Bob L

Bearcat
I went to the individuals house to buy another gun from him and saw the blackhawk. I remembered reading the article in the early to mid 70's and expressed interestin it. Several weeks went buy and he called to se if I was still interested in it and I got it. While he had it he had the hammer & trigger gold plated, I should add that his idea of taste is tacky, tacky,& tacky. Bob

Bob L

Bearcat
Shoots fine. I don't think that the lengthening and recurving of the backstrap was necessisary but it looks good.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
There were not that many magazines in the '70s covering this sort of gunsmith oddities. Should not take more than a cup of coffee to search archives in the web to turn it up.

Photos will tell the story and may lead to some interesting follow-up?

True, that.

I've run a couple of searches, and all that came up were links to this very thread.

That said, someone with better 'net skilz than mine may yet find something.

:)

Bob L

Bearcat
I didn't mean to start anything. I am still looking for the magazine article. I am snail mailing photos so that they can be input to this thread. It just looks like a ruger revolver with an entended cylinder and an enlarged backstrap.

Latest posts