Ruger 45 Long Colt cylinders

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jbntx

Single-Sixer
kitkin said:
Why isn't this a manufacturing problem and why shouldn't Ruger fix it?

They think we only shoot jacketed factory ammo like good little customers.
If they only knew what some of us shoot through their guns. :twisted:

Rclark

Hunter
I thought about running some fine sandpaper in the throats briefly to smooth things out more, but frankly, I don't think that it looks bad at all.
+1 . I never used any sandpaper on all of mine either. Just reamed. Looked good to me too. Let us know how it shoots!

I used a liberal amount of 3-in-1 oil though and I think it worked OK.
That is all I used on mine to. 3-in-1. Seems to work just fine.

Quite a few of us have asked that same question down thru the years.... Still no good explanation :) . That said, they are getting 'closer' :) . My New Vaquero was 'close'.

w5lx

Single-Sixer
There is a recipe for cutting oil somewhere on the internet but can't remember where I found it. I made a milk jug full of it and it worked great on several guns. As I recall, it contained 30 wt. motor oil, dishwater detergent, and something else I can't recall. Ace Hardware sells cutting oil but they were out of it when I tried to buy some. It's good to know 3-in-one works OK. You can buy that stuff anywhere.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
kitkin said:

Because it falls within acceptable tolerance limits I imagine. You want Freedom Arms tolerance, you pay the price... :wink:

That said, Ruger may rebuild one that is returned if asked politely I expect... 8)

Two centavos...that's all

glw3151

Bearcat
Certainly a worth while procedure. The new production 4.2" Redhawks have throats that measure .4525". Can't speak about the Blackhawks. I have not measured the throats on a newer production example.
Firelapping the restriction that often exists in the bore where the barrel is threaded into the frame is also a very worth while procedure.

The new Blackhawk I did this on I bought this month, and the test cartridge envelope in the box was dated just late month, April 15th, 2014. I think it depends on when they last changed the bits in the cylinder reamers -- the tooling wears down and gets changed out at some point, but not before the tool wear has reduced the throat size cut by 1-2 thousandths or so. If they started out with larger sized bits (such as to cut .454 throats) then by the time they had worn down a couple thousandths the throats might still be acceptable. Or not... But, some would probably not be happy with overly generous throats either.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
My '74 NM has .455" throats....new tooling perhaps? At any rate, it groups well with .454" cast which I prefer anyway. I shoot few jacketed in my revolvers. My bigger beef is with the overly generous chambers that bulge brass with stiffer loads. If I remember, they run around .486"+ :?

(Or that figure could be fired case...I have a good memory, just short! :wink: )

Rodfac

Blackhawk
My NV in .45 LC, purchased 3 yrs ago had cylinder throats that ran close to .450" and a groove dia. of .452", a non-workable combination with any lead alloy bullet. It shot jacketed bullets fairly well, (3"+ gps at 25 yds from rest), but would scatter LSWC's of any dia. all over the map. Leading was atrocious as well.

Correctly suspecting those grossly undersized throats, I had "cylindersmith.com" open them up to a universal 0.4525". They're as perfectly round and sized now as a machine tool can make them and accuracy is usually sub-2" with lead alloy bullets of commercially available standard 0.452" dia., or my home-cast and sized offerings at 0.454" dia. As cylindersmith is no longer in business, I'll be at a loss the next time I purchase a revolver with undersized throats, Ruger or whatever. HTH's Rod

Latest posts