Ruger 10-22 Mag What gives

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I was talking to a guy the other day about the 10-22 Mag and we said we hadn't seen one around in a while. Last night I looked in the 2008 catalog and didn't see one in there either. Was this canceled and I missed it or what. Why would they do that? Enquiring minds want to know.

9x19

Hunter
Yes, they were discontinued several years ago... speculation abounds as to why, but among those who own them, it remains a mystery as they generally run quite well.

kk9z

Bearcat
The last one we had come through was April of 2005.

I have never heard an exact reason stopping production.

Bigfoot62

Bearcat
Production stopped in 2006. I don't know why either. Probably slow sales. The owner of a local gun shop said that he sold very few at $325. Now, if you find one in mint condition, it will sell for more than twice that. Go figure.

10MMGary

Single-Sixer
I have one of the early run single extractor models and all it needed according to the original owner was a VQ claw extractor. He put over 30 thousand rounds through it and I am continuing to add to the count regularly. I have since put on a unfired take off Ruger factory sporter barrel a Hogue rubberized over molded stock and a modified trigger group. I am still amazed at the accuracy this gun exhibits.

All Ruger needed to do if indeed it was the extraction issue that caused the discontinued status was to buy the Claw extractor from VQ. I have turned down offers over $600.00 for it more than once, however I would bet that slow sales was the real cause of death. If I recall correctly I paid $500.00 for the gun two extra factory barrels a modified trigger group(re: very light pull weight and stunningly crisp break) a 4-12X44 AO scope and twenty 50 round boxes of Remington Premier ammo.

One other thing is that if it ever breaks and needs Ruger factory parts you are out of luck. Ruger will trade you a new rifle for it but will not service this model. I see this one getting passed down some day.