Roux question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

eveled

Hunter
My first dark roux. I’m attempting gumbo, which is probably a mistake because Ive never had it, so I wont know if its right or not. Lol.

Anyway is this roux dark enough?
5BC8BC14-7493-4D40-A72F-9CE37B2DA4DF.jpeg

eveled

Hunter
I couldn’t find okra or file powder. So it won’t be right. I just hope it edible.

The color of the roux depends on your taste and what it is being used in. Gumbo I don't use dark but a light tan. For shrimp or crawfish étouffée in South Louisiana a dark roux is used. Yours looks a little to dark.
The best roux is still made the old fashion way with lard. You don't eat enough of it to be a health problem.
If you look at the store bought jars of roux some are pretty dark.
Cook about 45min. for peanut-butter and 55 min for dark mahogany color. If you see any black specs START OVER you just burned it.

Happy rouxing

A dark roux

etouffee+spoon.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

A light roux or white

rTihCN6Si0gkVvOAORwJdScFczV0Zo77loelGkguidSFIkybP7oLVQ31a3aEOqIxeIqOz1AnrK3V99kNJPnqLFIl351A0tBCJxEV2mE=w900-rj-l85

Easy-Chicken-and-Sausage-Gumbo-1-683x1024.jpg

I think a little too dark but you can thin it a little with some milk. Should be a definite brown (not a tan and not a dark brown).
How can you add milk to something you are going to bring to a boil. Just curious to know if you have ever made a big ole pot of gumbo :)
Actually the Creole "holy trinity"celery, bell peppers, and onions should be added to the roux when it is real hot but done cooking. That would not work for adding milk at that time.

Last edited:

BearBiologist

Blackhawk
How can you add milk to something you are going to bring to a boil. Just curious to know if you have ever made a big ole pot of gumbo :)
Actually the Creole "holy trinity"celery, bell peppers, and onions should be added to the roux when it is real hot but done cooking. That would not work for adding milk at that time.
Well, I have made file gumbo as taught by a Cajun girlfriend, as well as gravies (white, chicken or brown). Gravies are much like roux: fat and flour. Granted, I would warm it and likely not boil it. If boiling it, merely add water or beef/seafood/chicken broth. BUt, you could just throw it out and start over, I guess!

eveled

Hunter
I was having so much fun stirring the roux and watching it change color, I got carried away. Next time I’ll go a little lighter.

Thanks for the help and the kind words guys

Latest posts