Rifle just won't shoot

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Another way to check the barrel is to run a tightly patched jag through the barrel and see if anything feels off. If it glides through with no hitches or glitches it's a good sign. If you feel abrupt changes or hangups that's the same thing that happens to every bullet you fire. Try illuminating the chamber and see if you notice any bend in the barrel. I believe you mentioned in another post that the Choate stock was damaged. That's not an easy thing to accomplish. Somebody might have backed a truck over it or similar to cause that.

unodemo

Bearcat
I recall 4 MOA @ 100yds is the MIL-SPEC standard for 55gr 5.56x45.

Bear with me here...
Another thing I learned when loading for a 200gr lead/coated sub-sonic 300 Blackout is that barrel ID matters. The bullet tumbled at 7 yards. I called the bullet maker who was nice enough to take my call and it was suggested that the barrel ID I have is over-sized. I miked the barrel, it is over-sized, and that bullet wouldn't get into the lands. Other plated and jacketed bullets work fine in that over-sized barrel.
Eliminate the barrel ID as a problem.

Last edited:
I recall 4 MOA @ 100yds is the MIL-SPEC standard for 55gr 5.56x45.

Bear with me here...
Another thing I learned when loading for a 200gr lead/coated sub-sonic 300 Blackout is that barrel ID matters. The bullet tumbled at 7 yards. I called the bullet maker who was nice enough to take my call and suggest the barrel ID I have is over-sized. I miked the barrel, it is over-sized, and that bullet wouldn't get into the lands. Other plated and jacketed bullets work fine in that over-sized barrel.
Eliminate the barrel ID as a problem.
Probably needs Russian spec bullets. 0.311 Russians did that on purpose so enemy ammo would be slightly smaller but still work but Russian ammo wouldn't work for enemies

Re: 300 sub-sonic
There were many 300BO/AAC chambered barrels made with 1/10, 1/11, 1/12 twists. These may not stabilize the long for caliber bullets @ sub-sonic velocity. Some do-some don't.
I can only guess that a .311" barrel chambered for 300BO is a relatively serious oversight.

unodemo

Bearcat
Re: 300 sub-sonic
There were many 300BO/AAC chambered barrels made with 1/10, 1/11, 1/12 twists. These may not stabilize the long for caliber bullets @ sub-sonic velocity. Some do-some don't.
I can only guess that a .311" barrel chambered for 300BO is a relatively serious oversight.
The vendor was contacted about the serious oversight. I was informed, "so sad, too bad. you bought it, you own it". I just voted with my feet and that vendor no longer gets my $.

Well, the Sandman pretty well limits bore size to .30 and under. If you want to retain the wide variety of affordable ammo selections, better stick with the 300AAC/BO. I think the 300 that's a permanent fixture in my work vehicle has 1-8 twist and it's accurate enough for government work with either 110 V-Max or Gorilla sub-sonic 190's(this is one wicked bullet-BTW). Granddaughter's little 'deer pistol' AR has a 1-10 twist and is under 3 MOA @ 100 yards with Hornady factory or "XYZ" 190 match handload sub-sonics.
I really like the sub-sonics for just playing at the range. Using bino's, I can often call the hits by just watching the bullet arc into the target. In the field using a suppressor, I've literally been able to shift sight picture to a second deer before the initial shot strikes the first deer.

unodemo

Bearcat
The keymo-based Sandman leads me to stick with the 1:8 300 BO. The 300 runs 125 SST's, 150 FMJ's, 190 Sub-X's, and 220 PSP's. The first 2 run suppressor optional. The latter 2 always get the can. But...the over-sized barrel and the Sub-X didn't work out so well. I got a baffle strike and the suppressor is on the road for Dead Air to make it good again. So yeah, that barrel don't shoot worth a toot.

But this story isn't over yet. I responded to the automated customer satisfaction survey asking me to rate my recent experience. The ratings are all Very Dissatisfied with the replay of the original question and their answer. We'll see how this goes.

Last edited:

Latest posts