Rifle just won't shoot

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gunzo

Hunter
Two bedded stocks are a common denominator here, provided all fasteners checked & scope has been swapped out.

I don't have a clue about Mini stock bedding but feel you've not changed or learned anything by bedding the second stock as well.

I knew someone would have to chime in about how "superior" the AR platform is in terms of siting at a bench and using it to poke little holes in paper....I guess this time it was you, so thank you for that....Hopefully that'll end the Mini-bashing and the whole tread won't go sideways.

Peace Brother.

DGW
I'm sure the mini seemed like a good idea at the time.

'Bedding' the M-14 basically tightens and uniforms the contact areas of the receiver & stock. The trigger guard(this holds the action in the stock) is left unlatched until the bedding sets allowing the levering action of the TG to pull the action/stock interface tighter.
Depending on how this 'bedding' was accomplished on the Mini in question, there could be other factors involved. I don't feel this is the culprit in the OP's question. The comments above lead me to suggest that as mentioned, this is a mechanical issue causing variance in chambering and/or bolt going fully into battery.

krw

Blackhawk
I have owned 8 Mini's that I can remember. Some shot better than others, but the cheapest AR I have ever owned would outshoot the best-shooting Mini I ever owned, and by a wide margin. That's why I own 5 AR's and 'nary a Mini, today...

There are a lot of things to like about the Mini 14, but accuracy is not one of them.
Bless your lil pea pickn heart for sayn this so I didn't hav too!! Hav good day!!! 🥳🥳

XP100

Blackhawk
Is th ebarrel fre floated? If it is try loosening the action in the stock, put a piece of business card between the barrel and stock and tighten the stock back down. Also check the rifling at the muzzle, it may have a ding in one of the lands from cleaning

Is th ebarrel fre floated? If it is try loosening the action in the stock, put a piece of business card between the barrel and stock and tighten the stock back down. Also check the rifling at the muzzle, it may have a ding in one of the lands from cleaning
You have no idea how a Mini 14 works do you. It's not a bolt action. Barrel damage is a possibility. If I recall the stock was damaged when delivered. Anything that could damage a Boyds stock could bend the barrel and the action.

seitz 555

6X45 Custom Mini 14
Arfmel,
The scope is a Leupold 3x9 VX-II. But to answer your question directly, no I have not tried a different scope.

Mobuck,
The bedding in the stock currently on the stock was done by me. I am a rookie at bedding, but I'll try to explain how I did it. I taped with painters blue tape the areas inside that I didn't want the bedding to stick to. Next I sprayed the action with Hornady one shot case lube 3 times letting it dry each time before applying the next coat. I mixed the acra-glas and applied it to the inleted areas on the stock that I had grooved with a dremel tool. I then carefully set the action back into the stock and wrapped the action to the stock with about 20 rounds of electrical tape. After 10 hours I removed the action, cleaned off the excess bedding and installed the barreled action into the stock, which the assembly then set for 7 days before I tried to shoot it. The bedding job was far from professional but everything is rock solid. I beginning to believe I have a black cat.

After you did the bedding , how difficult was it to latch the trigger guard? I may be barking up the wrong tree. It's been 40 years since I had a Mini apart. And 50 since I saw the guts of an M-14.

seitz 555

6X45 Custom Mini 14
Mobuck,
Not sure how to explain, but if the total travel on the trigger guard locking would be 100%, this locked on the final 20 to 25%. The old original also locked at 50%+. The bedding didn't seem to alter the locking of the trigger in the new stock either before or after.

Barring other factors, I think you have a separate mechanical issue that's affecting accuracy. Others have commented on the relationship between parts of the gas port and bolt or stock pressure against the barrel. Just grasping at straws here but is there any chance at all that this is actually a '25/45' rather than a 6x45? I'm just out of suggestions.

Mobuck,
I'll see if I can verify the 6mm. (not sure how, but I'll think on it for a while).

If it's actually a 25 caliber barrel, one of your 6mm reloading bullets would simply drop through from end to end. I'll often do something similar, if I want to verify that I'm looking at a 10mm/40 caliber barrel - a 9mm bullet (or even a 9x19 cartridge) will pass through the barrel with no resistance.

As always FWIW, IMHO, YMMV, etc., etc.
:)