Remington 11-87 in 20ga

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Anyone have any + or - feelings about this model?
Reason #1: my bum shoulder simply won't tolerate 12 gauge target load recoil. Son and Gson like to shoot clays but I'm only marginal shooting lefty and don't feel comfortable going out in public that way.
Reason #2: I'd like to go turkey hunting again but definitely can't manage suitable 12 ga loads but maybe can handle 1-2 shots from the 20 ga.
The 11-87 is 2 3/4 & 3" and I shoot the Remington design/stock shape well. Brother in law has a 11-87 in 12 and it was dependable in any weather with any load.

krw

Blackhawk
I hav a 20ga Fetish. I do not hav a 11-87 but hav several older 1100LT 20's. Absolutely love the smaller LT framed Remington's. They require lil more maintenence than the Benelli's and Beretta's but are good shotguns. Been around several 11-87's in 12 ga. All were good shotguns. Beretta's hav the Rem feel, and are outstanding shotguns.

contender

Ruger Guru
Miss Penny has lupus,, and when she tried shotgunning,, the Rem 11/87 in 20 ga. was one of her final choices because of the softer recoiling it had.
However,, she really enjoyed an over & under,, so her final choice was an o/u with a few custom features that reduced the recoil.
If we'd stayed with a factory "as shipped" gun,, it would have been the 11/87.

Yeah, I just can't force myself to like a recoil op shotgun. I've tried 2-3 brands and none really 'felt right'. Something about that 'whumpa-chunka' of moving parts during cycling.:cautious:

jgt

Buckeye
If you want a real sweetheart to shoot find a Remington 1100 in 410 gage. I still regret selling mine. I can still shoot my 12 gages but that 1100/410 was the cats meow.

Well, that deal fell through so I'm back to looking. Another possibility that crossed my radar is the Weatherby Element. Most everything I'm looking for with a single flaw that puts me off. All reports/reviews comment on the 6.5-7# trigger pull. You can literally hang the gun from the trigger w/o setting it off.
I've never really paid much attention to a shotgun's trigger pull but this does seem to throw a flag. I don't intend to spend $?00 on a 'trigger job' for a new gun if a similar amount gets a different model that doesn't require immediate altercations.