Reloading: Which Calibers Conserve Powder Best?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lookieloo

Bearcat
With all the recent ammo scares and sustained problems with selective speculation/hoarding, I'm starting to consider alternatives to rimfire for small-game/casual-practice. To that end, I recently purchased my first pistol-caliber rifle (Beretta CX4 9mm); but I'm also becoming more interested reloading as a hedge against further ammo shocks.

However, there's still the matter of powder/primer/jacketed-bullets supply to deal with.

Obviously, there's not much one can safely do about a primer/jacketed-bullet shortage; one primer, one bullet, one round... but one could find ways to conserve powder... right? So before I go out to buy a new gun and hand-loading supplies, my question is: Which centerfire calibers out there are best at stretching one's powder supply whilst also remaining adequate for general-purposes (hunting, plinking, target/varmint). Note that I said "adequate"... as in not necessarily "optimal."

Right now, I'm seriously considering the .22 Hornet because of the following:
1. The cases appear to be smaller than other .22 centerfires (use less powder?)
2. Ballistics are good enough for the ranges at which I can reliably hit anything.
3. It is technically legal for any non-bird game here in Texas.
4. I'm not sure, but there seems to be a possibility that lightly-loaded .22 Hornet cases can fire plain-lead bullets (perhaps someone here could clear that up for me).

Snake45

Hawkeye
It sounds like you're on the right train of thought for your goals.

Rifle-wise, your 9mm will be "powder-efficient," as would .45ACP and .357 mag (assuming lightish loads). Your .22 Hornet sounds good. Look at .30 Carbine, maybe even .44 Magnum.

Any of the centerfire rifles can be loaded down with lead bullets and suitable powders, such as Trail Boss.

I'm sure others will have even more ideas for you. :wink:

contender

Ruger Guru
No matter what "supply" issues are around, I always build my ammo for accuracy first. Once I find something that works, I make sure I have plenty of supplies for it.

That said, you can study reloading manuals to see which powders will work using more or less powder than others.

DGW1949

Hunter
I can't think of anything that I'd shoot with a .22 Hornet that I wouldn't shoot with a 9MM, and you already got one of those....plus, some perty-hot stuff can be conjured-up for the nine while only using 4.5-5.5 grains of fast powder. Figuring that there's 7000 grns to the pound, that's a lot more shooting per pound of powder than you'll get out of a Hornet.
Yeah, I'm perty-sure of it....If I was wanting a center fire rifle to hunt with, and if I already had a 9MM, my next step would be a step (or two) up. What I'm thinking there is that a 30-30 would fit into your senerio. Bigger caliber than a Hornet, a much fatter/heavier bullet, but still a smallish case (as .30's go)...yep, that would do it for me. That, or perhaps a .357 Mag carbine of some type...which by the way, is easy to load up or down to suit different needs....loaded down, it would make a dandy rabbit getter and when loaded up, will get you real-close to 30-30 ballistics.

DGW

lookieloo

Bearcat
DGW1949 said:
I can't think of anything that I'd shoot with a .22 Hornet that I wouldn't shoot with a 9MM, and you already got one of those....plus, some perty-hot stuff can be conjured-up for the nine while only using 4.5-5.5 grains of fast powder. Figuring that there's 7000 grns to the pound, that's a lot more shooting per pound of powder than you'll get out of a Hornet.
Yeah, I'm perty-sure of it....If I was wanting a center fire rifle to hunt with, and if I already had a 9MM, my next step would be a step (or two) up. What I'm thinking there is that a 30-30 would fit into your senerio. Bigger caliber than a Hornet, a much fatter/heavier bullet, but still a smallish case (as .30's go)...yep, that would do it for me. That, or perhaps a .357 Mag carbine of some type...which by the way, is easy to load up or down to suit different needs....loaded down, it would make a dandy rabbit getter and when loaded up, will get you real-close to 30-30 ballistics.

DGW
Well, .357 mag was my other choice, but I was looking for something with flat trajectory and minimal propellant... whilst also being technically legal for deer here in Texas. I know .22 Hornet would be sub-optimal for that purpose; but remember, conservation of powder is the priority. I'm looking for the absolute minimum to get by in case of further problems, even though I'm probably overthinking issue. A .357 lever gun may indeed be the best bet for sustainable shooting/hunting.

sourdough44

Single-Sixer
I just about have a 22 Hornet without buying one. What I mean is I've been loading 40 grn V-Max bullets for my 223's with 12 grains of Alliant 2400, normally considered a handgun powder. This load is right out of an older Alliant manual and is a fair amount below the listed max.

My crony gave a 2670 fps average speed. I shot these in a bolt gun, they are unlikely to cycle in a semi-auto. My goal was for a quieter, lower speed load, close to the Hornet. I am still doing some testing for accuracy with them.

Snake45

Hawkeye
lookieloo said:
I was looking for something with flat trajectory and minimal propellant... whilst also being technically legal for deer here in Texas.
Hunting is no place to be worried about saving a few pennies on powder. Use GOOD ammo for that, and then build your reduced/budget loads for practice, plinking, and so forth. :wink:

dougader

Hunter
I'd rather use my little 32 mag single six than my 9mm for varmints. I use use 3.5 grains ww231 with a cast 94 grain rnfp for a nice little load.

For longer shots, a contender in 22 K Hornet, 221 Remington Fireball, 223 Remington would be sweet.

DGW1949

Hunter
What I'm reading is that you're not so worried about the cost per shot in money as you are about the cost per shot in powder weight.
If that is correct, perhaps a good plan would be to look through a loading manual with an eye towards the recomended powder charge for whatever caliber of cartridge that you think will best suit your hunting needs.

DGW

nvbirdman

Blackhawk
You don't have to run full power loads all the time.
I just loaded some .357 loads with 3.7g of Bullseye and a 148g homecast wadcutter. That works out to just under 1900 shots from one pound of powder.

The Blackhawk Kid

Blackhawk
I reload for my 41's and 44's because I don't like to pay $55 for a box of ammo. I go for accuracy, like Contender said. Why change! If it ain't broke don't fix it! bhk

ScottZ

Single-Sixer
If you're new to reloading, this is a bad idea. While you might get more loads out of a pound of powder, you're much more likely to end up on a scenario where you fail to notice a double charge.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Choose the cartridge and gun that will do the job you want done and then limit the amount that you practice in order to conserve resources. A 30-30 or 357mag rifle is about the minimum for deer and a 22 rimfire will handle most small game. A 223 or 22 Hornet will bridge the gap between the two. :D

RSIno1

Hunter
If you are going to be saving powder by loading your 9mm with minimal powder charges they would probably be slow enough to use lead bullets without lead fouling the barrel.

Greebe

Single-Sixer
I always had a hankering for a .22 K-Hornet. Better brass life and just an all around neat little cartridge. Having said that I just have a few .223's but still want a .22 K-Hornet.

The Blackhawk Kid

Blackhawk
Just my .02 worth. I have 44's and 41's. After working up several loads I have found that I have two accurate loads. One for the 44 mag, and One for the 41 mag. I load on a Dillon SDB. The 44 load is 7.5 grs W231, 240 gr LSWC. The 41 mag is 7.4 grs W231, 215 LSWC. I also have a similar load for the 44 which is 7.5 grs of Unique and a 240 gr LSWC Keith. Didn't plan it this way it just worked out. Both are accurate. Like Contender said, "I go for accuracy", then I don't have different loads for this and that. JMHO bhk

gmartinnc

Blackhawk
I'm in the process of putting together a 300 AAC Blackout. They seem to be pretty stingy with powder.