Reloading the Big Bores...this new hobby is very interesting

Help Support Ruger Forum:

flyerdoc

Single-Sixer
OK, I am a relative newbie to reloading. Started with a whack-a-bullet Lee start up kit and quickly determined I like reloading, but not to the extent of whacking every damned round with a hammer. Soooo, went the minimalist route and got a Lee handloader system and really like it. I am NOT reloading for automatic weapons but rather big bore handguns. 44Mag (and special), 454 Casull, and 45 Ruger.

Its literally been a blast. I am currently loading up some 45 Ruger loads. The nice thing about this is that I have a SRH in 454 Casull witch will, of course, also shoot +P loads of 45 Colt and a Blackhawk 45 and an Old Vaquero 45 that are all rated for Ruger (+P) loads. Awesome, light loads or bear protection, I don't have to worry about the gun holding up to the pressure.

So, I did procure some Missouri Bullets in 45 Silhouette, 300 grains. Gonna fix it up with some IMR 4227 (19grains+) and see how all three revolvers react. Should be fun, and I should be ok if the odd grizz meanders down to my PA neighborhood due to global warming. Let me know if any of you have experimented in a like fashion...I'll get to the range later this week and see what the results.

ditto1958

Blackhawk
I followed a similar path to yours, but with .357 magnum. I also started with a Lee Loader, and found that I enjoy reloading. Like you, I also quickly determined that I needed to get something more. I got a Lee turret press, which I tend to use more like a single stage press. I have now become addicted to reloading. It's only a matter of time before I expand to different calibers.

I'm particularly attracted to revolvers, but buying factory ammo for 45 Colt and 44 magnum, and the like does not appeal to me. Reloading can make it affordable.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Sounds like you have the bull by the horns. I enjoy loading the 44 magnum also. I load them from light to barn burners. But remember to be careful with the top end loads. Make sure you have good brass and good bullets and don't go over the listed Max loading for the cartridge or your gun. I like to experiment with different powders. :D

flyerdoc

Single-Sixer
I take my time with it as I am not mass producing these rounds, really a perfect hobby for large bore revolvers...you aren't mass producing $$$ per round. But as others have said, you really don't save money as you DO shoot more! Which, to me, is the name of the game.

I tend to stay in the middle of the start/max loads for reasons of safety. No sense overdoing it, especially at the beginning. Perhaps, with more experience I'll start migrating to the max numbers with much caution.

mikewriter

Blackhawk
I pretty much only reload for big bore revolvers - .44, .45, .480 Ruger - and for my needs I use heavy-for-caliber hard cast bullets (300 - 415 gr, depending n the caliber). I also mostly keep my velocities in the 1000 fps range. Not that recoil bothers me, but I have found I don't need any more power, and it is more pleasant - and easier on the guns - to shoot these "mild" loads.

Chief 101

Hunter
Great way to start...I would recommend this to anybody wanting to reload ammunition...

stevemb

Hunter
I still have but no longer use my Lee set and the lucite mallet that I got to go with it. When still living to home, used to drive my Mom nuts whacking 44mag loads together in my bedroom. This was the early '80's. There are two single stage presses bolted to the loading table now in my basement. One of them is a Lee. I'll just add, new reloader and +P..be careful please.

contender

Ruger Guru
Reloading is a great extension of enjoying the shooting hobby. And when doing so, I always suggest you search for accuracy, within the safe limits. Most often, you will find a mid range loading to be the most accurate. Barn burners have their place,,, but none are any good if they don't hit where you aim! Enjoy reloading for what it is.

mikld

Blackhawk
For many years my .44 Magnums were reloaded 5-1 over my other rounds. Then I started casting an they went to 10-1. Even though I now reload for 12 calibers, .44 Magnum is my favorite (I've reloaded it with everything from 123 gr. balls up to 265 gr. T-Rex Killers.). Luckily (?) I got into other guns/calibers before I tried 454 Casull or Ruger levels in 45 Colt...

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
flyerdoc said:
Its literally been a blast. I am currently loading up some 45 Ruger loads. The nice thing about this is that I have a SRH in 454 Casull witch will, of course, also shoot +P loads of 45 Colt and a Blackhawk 45 and an Old Vaquero 45 that are all rated for Ruger (+P) loads. Awesome, light loads or bear protection, I don't have to worry about the gun holding up to the pressure.

Hi,

Just a reminder, there is no such thing as a .45 Colt +P load. SAAMI specifies what +P is in the few calibers where it's available, and the guns using them are specified by the mfrs as being safe to use with +P ammo. For example, a steady diet of .38 Spl +P will ruin a "standard" .38 Spl over time (how much depends on the gun), but shouldn't hurt a +P approved gun given that same amount of use. And, shot in many .357 Mags, that same ammo will probably be rather pleasant to shoot. It certainly won't hurt it.

What you're looking at in these "Ruger Only" loads are what I like to call FPROs: "Fairly popular Ruger overloads." They don't meet any SAAMI specs, and they are NOT approved by Ruger. Call 'em if you wish to check! Shot in your .454, they should cause no problem because of the pressure levels it's DESIGNED to handle. Shot in your BH and Old Vaquero, which we can only be CERTAIN are designed to SAAMI specs (because that's all Ruger will admit to, so any extra safety margin above normal design parameters is a bonus, not something to count on) they may in time. One problem with gun failures is they seldom happen "first time." Instead, the damage is cumulative, so one day a shooter goes out, puts a perfectly safe round in the gun, and pulls the trigger to a KABOOM! That's the day all those previous overloads finally caught up him. When I ran a range, I had a whole glass showcase full of bits and pieces of guns which had done just that. "But I was just shooting a regular target load when it happened..." was a common comment.

Regardless of whether you're a newbie or have been doing this for decades, if I were in your shoes, I'd stick to SAAMI spec ammo for those two .45 Colt revolvers, and keep the hot stuff for the days you dig out the .454. That way, a half century from now (when you've been "addicted" to this hobby as long as I have :)), you or one of your kids, perhaps, may be shooting the same guns and they'll still be working well. There are a lot of people who will argue with me on this. I'm not a fan of the "It ain't blow'd up yet, so it must be safe" school of thought, so IF they wish to argue, I'd ask them to please do it with someone else.

I recognize that SOME Rugers with SOME of these loads may well be perfectly safe. But given Ruger's sketchy reputation concerning quality control, AND the fact they're no strangers to making line changes to cut production costs, some of which have involved the steels being used, I personally don't trust any Ruger to be safe with ammo not spec'd BY Ruger... which has always been "SAAMI spec" in all of Ruger's factory literature I've read.

YMMV... so please try to be safe!

Rick C

flyerdoc

Single-Sixer
Rick Courtright said:
flyerdoc said:

Hi,

Just a reminder, there is no such thing as a .45 Colt +P load. SAAMI specifies what +P is in the few calibers where it's available, and the guns using them are specified by the mfrs as being safe to use with +P ammo. For example, a steady diet of .38 Spl +P will ruin a "standard" .38 Spl over time (how much depends on the gun), but shouldn't hurt a +P approved gun given that same amount of use. And, shot in many .357 Mags, that same ammo will probably be rather pleasant to shoot. It certainly won't hurt it.

What you're looking at in these "Ruger Only" loads are what I like to call FPROs: "Fairly popular Ruger overloads." They don't meet any SAAMI specs, and they are NOT approved by Ruger. Call 'em if you wish to check! Shot in your .454, they should cause no problem because of the pressure levels it's DESIGNED to handle. Shot in your BH and Old Vaquero, which we can only be CERTAIN are designed to SAAMI specs (because that's all Ruger will admit to, so any extra safety margin above normal design parameters is a bonus, not something to count on) they may in time. One problem with gun failures is they seldom happen "first time." Instead, the damage is cumulative, so one day a shooter goes out, puts a perfectly safe round in the gun, and pulls the trigger to a KABOOM! That's the day all those previous overloads finally caught up him. When I ran a range, I had a whole glass showcase full of bits and pieces of guns which had done just that. "But I was just shooting a regular target load when it happened..." was a common comment.

Regardless of whether you're a newbie or have been doing this for decades, if I were in your shoes, I'd stick to SAAMI spec ammo for those two .45 Colt revolvers, and keep the hot stuff for the days you dig out the .454. That way, a half century from now (when you've been "addicted" to this hobby as long as I have :)), you or one of your kids, perhaps, may be shooting the same guns and they'll still be working well. There are a lot of people who will argue with me on this. I'm not a fan of the "It ain't blow'd up yet, so it must be safe" school of thought, so IF they wish to argue, I'd ask them to please do it with someone else.

I recognize that SOME Rugers with SOME of these loads may well be perfectly safe. But given Ruger's sketchy reputation concerning quality control, AND the fact they're no strangers to making line changes to cut production costs, some of which have involved the steels being used, I personally don't trust any Ruger to be safe with ammo not spec'd BY Ruger... which has always been "SAAMI spec" in all of Ruger's factory literature I've read.

YMMV... so please try to be safe!

Rick C

Thank you very much for the clarification and cautions...hmmm, I will be reviewing all loads again...

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
What Rick C said can also apply to Ruger 44 special guns. A lot of people like to load them over SAAMI specs as well.

jgt

Buckeye
I started reloading at around nine years of age, although at the time I had no idea that is what it was called. When I came home from the service I got my own home and bought reloading equipment before I bought furniture. I went from teaching myself to load by reading reloading manuals to hot load fever. It didn't take long to see my accurate loads were out the window. My testing also showed I could do as much damage to the target with reloads kept within the safety margin with less wear and tear on my self and my guns. The majority of us seem to pass through this phase so it is a normal phase. Just don't let yourself linger too long or you will win a seat on the "Kaaboomsville Express" just when you think you have reloading down pat. Welcome to the next best thing to shooting. I wish you as much pleasure as I have enjoyed over the years.

flyerdoc

Single-Sixer
jgt said:
I started reloading at around nine years of age, although at the time I had no idea that is what it was called. When I came home from the service I got my own home and bought reloading equipment before I bought furniture. I went from teaching myself to load by reading reloading manuals to hot load fever. It didn't take long to see my accurate loads were out the window. My testing also showed I could do as much damage to the target with reloads kept within the safety margin with less wear and tear on my self and my guns. The majority of us seem to pass through this phase so it is a normal phase. Just don't let yourself linger too long or you will win a seat on the "Kaaboomsville Express" just when you think you have reloading down pat. Welcome to the next best thing to shooting. I wish you as much pleasure as I have enjoyed over the years.

Thanks jgt, I should qualify that I am attempting to replicate Buffalo Bore type loads for the big critters...I wasn't clear, so let me just state that these heavy custom loads are only for occasional use and I will fall back on "normal" range loads for everyday shooting. Maybe just finish off the day with a few boomers to keep myself tuned into the recoil and handling. I always thought it would be a mistake to NOT shoot them on occasion if you are going to carry it hiking/hunting. I wouldn't want to find out then that I can't hit the broad side of a barn at 10 yards. Also, I am keeping the loads to the lower end of suggested ranges. For example, using a suggested load of 19grains of 4227 when the range is 19-22 for these 300grain bullets. Incidental, I believe my 44 Mag/300grain bullet loads are an identical 19g of 4227...I remember reading that Ruger type loads for the .45 are very similar to 44Mag loads. That would be right in my ballpark.

Appreciate the tips and cautions from everyone!

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
flyerdoc said:
Thanks jgt, I should qualify that I am attempting to replicate Buffalo Bore type loads for the big critters...

Hi,

Just one person's opinion, of course, but my advice on such an attempt can be summarized in one word: DON'T!

Now, if you wish to ignore that advice, it's your gun, your fingers and your face that are at risk. Nobody can tell you not to take risks. However, if you simply have to do so, for whatever reason, calculate them first. And to help with that, I'd suggest you do TWO things: buy a box of Buffalo Bore ammo, load a box of your own "Here, hold my beer and watch this..." duplicates, and send some of each to H.P. White's laboratories for testing. This link should put you in contact with them: http://www.hpwhite.com/contact-us/

They've done ballistic testing for decades, and have worked with the factories, with custom builders such as Mr. Linebaugh, with gun rag writers and many others who NEED to know what's going on with the loads they're considering. I haven't any idea what the cost would be, but it will be cheap if it saves you from property damage and/or personal injury. Dunno about you, but I can still count to 21 on the "digits" God gave me a long time ago, and hope to keep it that way for the duration.

Once they get your results to you, then you can make a far more educated guess as to which guns, if any, you should be shooting either loads in. Chances are, a close look at a "suspect" BB .45 Colt load will reveal a "moderate" (and DEFINITELY safe) .454 Casull load is a far better choice. And if that's not big enough for whatever critter you think is going to break down the door and invade your living room, don't forget we have rifles and shotgun slugs to help take up the slack!

Rick C

flyerdoc

Single-Sixer
Duely noted, thank you. I will check out that contact, I'm curious about the details.

flyerdoc

Single-Sixer
Just sent them an email...will let y'all know what the associated costs are, this hobby gets more interesting by the minute!

flyerdoc

Single-Sixer
I did go to the range today and shot some factory loads and then the 19 grain IRM4227 with 300grain bullets through the New Model Blackhawk and Old Vaquero. The interesting discovery was that both guns shot much more accurately with the custom reloads. The Blackhawk shot both well, but the reloads tightened the circle by an inch. The Old Vaquero was really all over the place with the factory loads, I want to say 10 inch circle at 15 yards. But with the heavy hitters the accuracy increased to a good 4 inches.

Then I shot some home brewed 454 casull (28.2 grains of IRM 4227 and a 300grain Hornady XTP bullet/ and 25grains IRM 4227 and a Missouri 300 grain Silhouette bullet/BHN18) through the SRH Toklat and had, for me, incredible results. At 15 yards I had a good 4 inch circle with a few strays to 6 inches. With that recoil I was pleased. The first two shots were almost on top of one another, then the circle widened as I anticipated the recoil.

All in all I am very pleased. I would reiterate that I will continue to reload "normal" rounds (for the most part) for my 45's but am encouraged by the results of the stouter rounds.

PS I should add that I am now shooting with bicycle gloves on for the Casull rounds. I had absolutely no discomfort or bruising even after shooting 50 rounds. It was actually fun!

Latest posts