Reloading 😁

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JCK

Single-Sixer
Be careful with the Lee factory crimp dies for straight wall cases such as the .38/357mag, .45Colt or .45acp.
The carbide sizer ring designed to remove the base bulge, can and will size down a cast or swaged bullet inside the case . This now undersized bullet will destroy accuracy.
The only LFC die I use is the 9mmPara. It's a tapered case and the necks are untouched.
I use the collet or rifle style factory crimp dies for ammo intended for rifles with tubular magazines to prevent possible collapse of bullets into the cases.

MHtractorguy

Single-Sixer
I load 110 gr 30 carbine hollow points into 30 Tokarev (7.62x25) rounds and the groove is not even close to the case rim. Lee 30 Mauser FCD makes them look and feed like factory ammo. Without that die, I couldn't reload for this pistol.

I also use the 110 grain bullets in 3030, with a factory crimp die.

Duke22

Bearcat
I have seated and crimped revolver cartridges in one operation since I bought my first set of Lyman dies over 40 years ago. I have attached a photo of the original instructions, the last paragraph tells you exactly how to do it.

Attachments

• DSCN4291.JPG
    DSCN4291.JPG
    460.6 KB · Views: 26

dannyd

Hunter
"That LNL concept is a clever system!"

It is,, unless you have about 40 sets of dies,, some which are 4-die sets,, and need bushings for all of them. Then there are the different bullets & loads you want to test & try because you have 3-4 guns in the same caliber.
For me,, it wasn't an idea I could use,, because of how many bushings I'd have to buy,, AND how I'd still be adjusting dies for different loads.

But to those who only do a few things,, & have just a few calibers & such,, they are fine.
You can just buy more bushings, I have over 200. :)

9E8C1F9C-81AD-43A0-8C86-381B64CE57B5.jpeg

gnappi

Single-Sixer
One gotcha not often noticed is lube pollution in your seater die. If you use wax lubed bullets clean out the seater die often or your length will change.

contender

Ruger Guru
Good point gnappi.

I just bought a few odd dies last weekend at a gun show. One was a seater die that was "frozen" and wouldn't adjust. Once I got it to move,, I removed the seater stem, and the reason it had been frozen,, was the large amount of wax lube material in it.

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
Good point gnappi.

I just bought a few odd dies last weekend at a gun show. One was a seater die that was "frozen" and wouldn't adjust. Once I got it to move,, I removed the seater stem, and the reason it had been frozen,, was the large amount of wax lube material in it.
One of the reasons to use coated bullets...

Latest posts