Reloading šŸ˜

Help Support Ruger Forum:

crow#2

Single-Sixer
Yes setting up the 44 mag dies . 3 die set. All is well until I get to seating and crimping with the same die. I got it after 10 waisted9016543&creative brass and bullets. Brings back old memories if 30 years ago when I Wen through the same thing. I enjoy it though and once the are set I'm good. I believe next caliber will be easier. I would like to post this pic of my El cheapo press. It should last a few years I hope with just a moderate amount of reloading. I'm far from what would be considered a good reloaded. No powder thrower or all the other precision tools.

Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
:D

Trying to adjust dies can cause a little frustration,, and ruined brass or bullets. But once learned,, and set,, that memory will serve as a reminder of how to NOT do things!

edm1

Single-Sixer
I hate trying to set them up. I waste brass and bullets every time..

maxfam

Bearcat
I love setting up my dies and reloading. You will want to do the final operation in two separate operations. First, seat your bullet to the correct overall length, load all of your rounds. Then, back out the bullet seating stem and adjust the crimping operation. I use a taper crimp die or a Lee factory crimp die. Doing it this way is an additional step, BUT WORTH THE EXTRA TIME. Been reloading for over 53 years, still ONLY use a RCBS single stage press.

Edit. When you decide reloading is what you really want to do, then Birthday and Christmas presents are easy for people to buy for you, or gift cards.

Last edited:

PƔl_K

Single-Sixer
With a turret press, once you have your dies in each station adjusted, then you can leave them alone: no need to remove the sizer and insert the bell die then the seating die. Do all your work at one station for all your brass, rotate to the next station, etc. Leave the dies in and already adjusted for the next reloading session.

The turret press behaves like a single stage press for whatever die/station you've got over the ram.

I've used my RCBS RS3 single-stage since 1988, 35 years, but also have a Redding T-7 turret press.

I could even buy multiple turret heads and essentially never remove my dies from a turret head for any particular caliber.

TINCANBANDIT is back

Single-Sixer
I love setting up my dies and reloading. You will want to do the final operation in two separate operations. First, seat your bullet to the correct overall length, load all of your rounds. Then, back out the bullet seating stem and adjust the crimping operation. I use a taper crimp die or a Lee factory crimp die. Doing it this way is an additional step, BUT WORTH THE EXTRA TIME. Been reloading for over 53 years, still ONLY use a RCBS single stage press.
this is how I do it

I have an old Lee Challenger press with a universal decapping die. I use it to decap my dirty brass, then I wet tumble the brass in stainless steel pins, after the brass has thoroughly dried I sort it by mfg.

When I load, most of my dies are 3 die sets from Lee, RCBS or Hornady for many of them I buy the Lee Factory crimp die and crimp them after seating all of the bullets. I use a RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme single stage. I am not going for quantity, but quality.

Topfueler1

Bearcat
Been loading with a single stage RCBS Rock Chucker for over 40 yrs. That press is built like a tank. Get a LEE roll crimp die like maxfam says. The cost is inexpensive and well worth it I have several. Pistol cals. I load .38 Spec. .357 Mag. .44 Spec. .44 mag. 9mm .40 S&W Auto 10mm .45 ACP.

s4s4u

Hunter
I use a Lee turret press, just for the turrets. I use it as if it were a single stage, but when it comes to change-overs all I need to is swap the turret for the nest, dies are already set up and stay that way. One and done. It isn't a problem to seat and crimp in one stroke, if you have the dies set up properly.

contender

Ruger Guru
As noted by the Op,, he'd like to own a turret press,, but his CURRENT press is a single stage one.

The best advice is given by maxfam,, as it was also suggested in a different thread. Seat all the bullets & re-adjust the dies to crimp in a separate operation.

And if adjusting dies is an issue,, or as edm1 says; "I hate trying to set them up." then look into getting a separate die for crimping.

I've been loading ammo since about 1977. I have the equipment to load well over 50 different calibers. Adjusting dies is just a small step in the process of enjoyment of making my own ammo. It's not complicated or hard to do. You just have to go slowly,,, and adjust in small amounts until you get to where it needs to be. Many of my dies, once set,, never need re-adjusting,, and others,, depending upon what I'm doing,, I adjust often.

The OP has a Lee single stage set-up. Fine. Expenses are a bit tight,, so he's trying to be as frugal as he can. Fine. Offering info not useful for his equipment,, or whatever,, isn't helping him fix a problem.
Yes,, a better press,, or a turret,, or multiple dies,, or additional dies or whatever is nice to have. But each loader has to look at what they are doing, why they are trying to do it, and be able to afford the things necessary.

There is another reloader,, whom I gifted a Lee "Whack-a-mole" loading kit several months ago. He's very limited on money,, space & equipment. Yet,,, he & I have been enjoying many, many PM's back & forth,, on his attempts at building the best ammo for his purposes with what little equipment he has. I've never forgotten how I started. Very little money,, and with limited equipment. I had to scrap & save to buy a piece of equipment whenever I could. It wasn't easy back then. But over time,, I managed to find stuff, upgrade my equipment, and now,, I have an extensive handloading set-up,, that many would envy. But it took me over 45 years to do it. And I still add stuff as I find something to make a loading job easier when I can.

Reloading is a fun part of the shooting sports for many. To others,, it may seem to be a chore,, or a necessary evil. I often say; "If you don't enjoy it,, they why the heck do it?"

So,, for crow#2,, I applaud you for all your questions in the many posts you've made here. I hope you've been able to re-learn many things from long ago. I hope you are enjoying getting back into it to where you can look at the many responses & choose what YOU feel you NEED,, and can afford. Once you get the basics,, then maybe you may feel you want to upgrade a little & add a piece of equipment,, (such as a separate crimp die) or whatever. No matter what,, as long as you enjoy it,, and it helps you shoot more often,, GO FOR IT!!!

3manfan

Single-Sixer
Yes setting up the 44 mag dies . 3 die set. All is well until I get to seating and crimping with the same die. I got it after 10 waisted9016543&creative brass and bullets. Brings back old memories if 30 years ago when I Wen through the same thing. I enjoy it though and once the are set I'm good. I believe next caliber will be easier. I would like to post this pic of my El cheapo press. It should last a few years I hope with just a moderate amount of reloading. I'm far from what would be considered a good reloaded. No powder thrower or all the other precision tools.
Make it easy on yourself. Just buy a separate die to crimp, so you can keep your seating die set & not have to bother with finding a sweet spot that also crimps well. I've bought one of these for all of the calibers that I hand load. This works on all .44's

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

NikA

Buckeye
When I was using a single station press for pistol reloading, I made up several washers that allowed me to set the die height for crimping and insert the washer for the seating (without crimping) operation. I believe RCBS even used to offer such a product, similar to the washer they used to package with the .38 and .44 die sets to change the height between special and magnum cartridges. Might be worth a trip to the hardware store to see if you can source something that would work.

Dan in MI

Staff member
First off let me say I went to four dies years ago for many calibers separating seating and crimping.

What surprises me is no one mentioned how to adjust the process for a single step until the op can get more tools.

This is how I adjust the seat/crimp combo. With a case in place, ram raised, and the seater stem way high. Screw the die down until you feel contact/resistance. Now back it off a couple turns. Drop the ram and add a bullet. Raise the ram and screw the seater stem to seat the bullet at your chosen depth. Back the seater stem off. Now raise the ram with the seated bullet. Screw the die down until you feel contact and adjust for your crimp. Once the crimp is where you want it leave the ram alone with seated and crimped bullet in the die. Now screw the seater stem back down to contact. Done. (You may need to add a tiny bit of a turn to the stem) Barring major case length differences you should be able to crank out a bunch of ammo.

crow#2

Single-Sixer
As noted by the Op,, he'd like to own a turret press,, but his CURRENT press is a single stage one.

The best advice is given by maxfam,, as it was also suggested in a different thread. Seat all the bullets & re-adjust the dies to crimp in a separate operation.

And if adjusting dies is an issue,, or as edm1 says; "I hate trying to set them up." then look into getting a separate die for crimping.

I've been loading ammo since about 1977. I have the equipment to load well over 50 different calibers. Adjusting dies is just a small step in the process of enjoyment of making my own ammo. It's not complicated or hard to do. You just have to go slowly,,, and adjust in small amounts until you get to where it needs to be. Many of my dies, once set,, never need re-adjusting,, and others,, depending upon what I'm doing,, I adjust often.

The OP has a Lee single stage set-up. Fine. Expenses are a bit tight,, so he's trying to be as frugal as he can. Fine. Offering info not useful for his equipment,, or whatever,, isn't helping him fix a problem.
Yes,, a better press,, or a turret,, or multiple dies,, or additional dies or whatever is nice to have. But each loader has to look at what they are doing, why they are trying to do it, and be able to afford the things necessary.

There is another reloader,, whom I gifted a Lee "Whack-a-mole" loading kit several months ago. He's very limited on money,, space & equipment. Yet,,, he & I have been enjoying many, many PM's back & forth,, on his attempts at building the best ammo for his purposes with what little equipment he has. I've never forgotten how I started. Very little money,, and with limited equipment. I had to scrap & save to buy a piece of equipment whenever I could. It wasn't easy back then. But over time,, I managed to find stuff, upgrade my equipment, and now,, I have an extensive handloading set-up,, that many would envy. But it took me over 45 years to do it. And I still add stuff as I find something to make a loading job easier when I can.

Reloading is a fun part of the shooting sports for many. To others,, it may seem to be a chore,, or a necessary evil. I often say; "If you don't enjoy it,, they why the heck do it?"

So,, for crow#2,, I applaud you for all your questions in the many posts you've made here. I hope you've been able to re-learn many things from long ago. I hope you are enjoying getting back into it to where you can look at the many responses & choose what YOU feel you NEED,, and can afford. Once you get the basics,, then maybe you may feel you want to upgrade a little & add a piece of equipment,, (such as a separate crimp die) or whatever. No matter what,, as long as you enjoy it,, and it helps you shoot more often,, GO FOR IT!!!
Thankyou I've decided I will get a factory crimp die for each of my calibers

Go back and read the instructions included in each die set. When making changes, as the instructions should say. 1/4 or 1/8 type turns to adjust. I ruin a few cases once and awhile. 10 ruined? check each case before putting another one into the press and before further adjustment. Handloading is not real difficult, but it takes time and undisturbed effort.

john guedry

Single-Sixer
I have never seated/crimped in one step. It isn't rocket science. I had to read the instructions several times and finally got it in my thick head. You can do it too.

Latest posts