Redhawk ignition problems!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
Hamilton Bowen has forgotten more about revolvers than any of us could ever hope to know.
Redhawk owners should read his article on the subject, before problems occur.
Interesting.

Thel

Blackhawk
Bowen's comments can be found here:

Scroll down to Dec. 11, 2011. He has also come out with extended firing pins for later model Rugers that employ a firing pin held in be an easily removeable bushing in the rear of the recoil shield. Comments can also be found by doing a search on other gun boards.

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
Bowen's comments can be found here:

Scroll down to Dec. 11, 2011. He has also come out with extended firing pins for later model Rugers that employ a firing pin held in be an easily removeable bushing in the rear of the recoil shield. Comments can also be found by doing a search on other gun boards.
Thanks for posting the link ,we lazy people need ambitious people like you.

vlavalle

Single-Sixer
I went to the link above and read the about the Ruger Redhawk ignition issues (Dec 11, 2011). This still does not give me a lot of confidence in buying a Ruger Redhawk. I own two Ruger single action Blackhawks (.357 Mag and a .45 convertible) and after thosuands of rounds over decades, I have never had an ignition problem or failure. But this article is over 10 years old, so I would like to hear about this issue in more recent time. Is this still an issue? If so, why hasn't Ruger fixed it completely?

I've never had a firing pin related problem with ignition on any of my newer (2017+) or older Redhawks (7 in total consisting of 2 357 mag, 1 41 mag and 3 44 mag and one in 357-44 Bain and Davis), and I have several thousand rounds through each of them. I also have Wolff reduced power springs in most of them. I respect his opinion, but I've never seen those issues.

I will say that I did have a cylinder timing issue on my 2008 4" 44Mag after about 15K rounds (and god only knows how much dry firing). It was enough that the firing pin would not hit the center of the primer, and miss the anvil. Sent into Ruger with a note and a couple of spent cases. They replaced the trigger, hammer, pawl, ejector and barrel and refinished the whole gun (so that the new barrel would match the frame) at no charge, and sent it back to me. It was perfect again!

vlavalle

Single-Sixer
Laserbit, Ruger's response sounds terrific! But I still question getting a Ruger Redhawk IF the problem is still there. But your issue you describe does sound a bit different. I have watched reviews on YouTube with the Redhawks and even the GP100. But there were firing issues in several of the Redhawk reviews.

I didn't read the article but I do own Redhawks. Been shooting both 357 and 44 out of them with ages varying from the 80's to 2015 and never had any problems with firing pins or ignition. Put 1000's of rounds through 9 different Redhawks. No idea what some of you are worried about.

contender

Ruger Guru
I too haven't heard of any misfiring Redhawks. None of mine have ever had that issue.

But hey,, I'm not a youboob follower & it's because of the many things I hear about that place that's incorrect.

If there were serious issues with the Ruger Redhawks,, it'd be well covered HERE,,, and Ruger would step up & correct a "defect" if the model had one.

hittman

Staff member
I figure if the OP is admittedly too lazy to post a link, I'm too lazy to look it up.

Glad I didn't ….. this is info over a DECADE old and none of us (or at least darn few) had even heard of it.

I read the article. It seemed to be a rare occurrence, that Bowen had come across, some of which was shooter induced! If shooting off a bag fixed the problem, then it is a shooter problem. I have a Redhawk, no problems with it or me lol
gramps

Laserbit, Ruger's response sounds terrific! But I still question getting a Ruger Redhawk IF the problem is still there. But your issue you describe does sound a bit different. I have watched reviews on YouTube with the Redhawks and even the GP100. But there were firing issues in several of the Redhawk reviews.
If it was a real problem in the first place, this board would be filled with complaints about it, yet this is the first time I can remember anyone mentioning anything like this. More than likely, it was just a few revolvers that had tolerance stacking issues.

And even if you did win the lottery and got a Redhawk that exhibited a problem, you're not going to throw it away and be out $800. Ruger stands behind their products 100%. You call them, and they send you a call tag, simple.