22 hornet Redhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gunman42782

Hunter
Had seen pictures for awhile now of just such a revolver. I am kinda suprized Ruger went ahead and put it in production. Ammo is almost impossable to find for .22 Hornet, and expensive as Hades if you can find it! Most of the younger people in the gun world probably have never heard of the round! I wish them well, but I see this going the way of the dinasour pretty quick. I hope I am wrong.

BULL'S-EYE

Blackhawk
Does it come with a carriage to haul it around? Is ANY ammunition maker going to start producing 22 Hornet ammo & components to feed it? My guess is no on both accounts.

I tried without success to find info on the velocity loss from a handgun length barrel for the .22 Hornet. If it's anything like the .22 Magnum it would be substantial.

XUSNORDIE

Single-Sixer
Being an avid predator hunter I'm interested in this revolver. Hand gunning preds at close range is a blast. The 22 Hornet is a very nice little pred round if you are saving pelts (still need to stay away from varmint tips). Shot fox and yotes with 45gr SP minimal damage. That was a rifle though. Only 22 Hornet hand gun I fired was a TC Contender, at a range.

I have used the 17 Hornet extensively (necked down 22 Hornet). Nice for what it is, but can be tough on pelts. But the old 22 Hornet is still a great pred round for fox/yotes at the appropriate range.

But as others have said...too much for a revolver (like everything these days) and 22 Hornet is tough to track down.

I inquired out of curiosity with my LGS about this revolver......it's out of stock from all distributers they use, but said their price would be roughly $999.......nope.

I'm almost glad sometimes that medical conditions have kept me out of the hunting fields this season and last season......it's kept my cravings for new equipment to a minimum.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Too heavy and way too much money........
My preference has always been a 10" Contender (mine is a .221 Fireball... a little messy, but does the trick :)
IMHO
J

Hmmmm.... I wonder if the cylinder could be reamed to the 22 K Hornet. That would make it even more compelling. And I think that they should have fluted the barrel. But that would have probably added another $200 to the price.

XUSNORDIE

Single-Sixer
Too heavy and way too much money........
My preference has always been a 10" Contender (mine is a .221 Fireball... a little messy, but does the trick :)
IMHO
J
The heaviness is what makes it appealing as a pred handgun....a lot lighter than a typical heavy pred rifle, and this would be tucked in a nice shoulder holster keeping the hands free when navigating hills and/or fields of corn stubble in the dark.......the heaviness would be beneficial when laying it on the pad of a tripod or knee and holding a red dot steady between two approaching red eyes.....

But you are spot on about way too much money.......

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
While that 223 might be more "sensible"( when the hell did that be a cause flag to follow?) I have a Griffin and Howe mod'ed Single Shot 256 Hawkeye, now a 22 Hornet 10", that could sidle up to this Redhawk whispering "You will be a collectible girl like me someday..........Just go to sleep in your case."

Latest posts