Redhawk Grips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

glenkans

Bearcat
I've had a 5 1/2'' redhawk for years and don't shoot it much cause single actions do just about everything that I need done. Nothing wrong with the gun but the grips and herein is my question.It came with the standard rosewood? grips and I later bought a Pach. presentation grip for it. I prefer the standard grip for looks but it bloodies me up every time I shoot more than a few shots.The presentation grips are too BIG. I have pretty good sized hands and I can barely get my hand around it.Now before you guys call me a sissy or worse, I can hold my own with a revolver and don't mind my single actions in .44 in the least. That 44 redhawk eats the web of my hand on top and then I get a bloody sore that won't heal for a week and messes up my shooting of other 44's.The pachs. are easy on the hand but they're too big.What's the answer guys? Best wishes,Glen

GP100man

Buckeye
I`m lookin for a set of "Uncle Mikes" for mine , from my understanding there not as bulky as the pachs .

But being there out of production there kinda scarce in this neck of da woods!

contender

Ruger Guru
I have some Pachmyers on a 44 Redhawk,, and a set of Hogues on my 480 Ruger Super Redhawk. I'd suggest you look at the Hogues,,,!

98Redline

Blackhawk
Very pricey but I really love the Nils Griffe grips I have on my Redhawk.

They help distribute the force of the recoil over a much wider area of my hand and make shooting full tilt loads quite pleasant.

Yermo

Single-Sixer
I can share my experience. After a few painful sessions I quit shooting hunting loads out of my Redhawk, and, instead, went on with a 200gr bullet at about 1200 fps. Now the rosewood grips seem adequate even when shooting double-action. As for the hunting there's always the Super Redhawk.

gunboat57

Single-Sixer
I've tried various grips on my 7.5" 44 mag Redhawk. Here's a comparison of the Pachmayr Presentation Grips (L) and the Pachmayr Decelerator Grips (R).

000_1080.jpg

000_1079.jpg

I have large hands and I found the Presentations to be large for me. The Decelerators felt too narrow. So now I'm back to the factory rosewood grips.

magnaportssk

Bearcat
Thanks for the tip on Uncle Mike's...just ordered a set. They are the only rubber grips I have not tried.

My Oglesby-built 5.5" Redhawk is a tack driver with Hornady XTP 200 grain bullets at 1505 fps, 28 gr. 296 at 1.595" oal. On thin skinned game, it is dynamite. Sounds like it when it is fired, too :lol:

exlogger

Single-Sixer
+1 on the Uncle Mikes. They really are well made. I've tried all the rubber grips and found these to be the best.

Redhawk3.jpg

I use the Ruger rubber grips. I believe they are made by Hogue.

BigThree013.jpg

This lady may still have this set for sale. Search for "Croydon Gal" in the classifieds.

http://homepage.nhvt.net/meb/ruger.pdf

magnaportssk

Bearcat
The Ruger grips pictured above are what I am using presently, but I will try the Uncle Mikes with a covered back strap. The Ruger Hogue grips are pretty good, though.

exlogger

Single-Sixer
+1 on the Uncle Mikes. They really are well made. I've tried all the rubber grips and found these to be the best.
^I guess I should rephrase this^
After trying all the rubber grips I found the Uncle Mikes to fit my hands the best, but no two hands are alike.