Redhawk Convertible, now with half-cock

Help Support Ruger Forum:

NikA

Buckeye
Picked up a NIB Redhawk .45 Convertible today and in the process of cleaning/polishing internals and dry-firing, noted that with very slow SA pull, hammer would only fall halfway. Might not have been a problem with the original 8lb pull but sure showed up with the cleaned/polished 5.5lb one.

Initially thought DA sear was catching the SA sear on the way down, so had it apart again to further polish that piece. Back together and it's still catching, clearly not on the DA sear. A little more investigation revealed a "new feature": a half-cock notch in the form of a thoughtfully unground sharp shelf immediately below the SA sear. Carefully filed and stoned maybe .05 off the sharp corner and all is now well.

Anyone else had this happen on newer Redhawks? Looks to me like they might have gone to MIM triggers and not sorted out all their finishing operations yet.

NikA

Buckeye
Well, there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of interest in this, but I can now confirm the new Redhawk triggers are MIM. I've got two recent examples in front of me, 503-81xxx has an investment cast trigger, 503-88xxx has a MIM one. Looks like they're still working out the MIM finishing process.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
That's good to know, thanks. I may start shooting my Redhawk again soon and I am sure I will start worrying about the trigger pull again. I just bought a new transfer bar and I will see if that might help the misfires when I reduce the main spring. ...or maybe I will just shoot it the way it came from the factory like I have been. :D :D

Larry C

Bearcat
Hawkeye
Check your barreI cyl. gap I just finished smithing my Redhawk Conv. that had a FTF issue, I had no gap at the barrel as the cyl. was touching the barrel. I shimmed the cyl. .006 and installed a 12 lb. mainspring then the trigger would not return forward. I then found that the mainspring lever was the problem with it's sideplay. After consulting with Lance at http://www.triggershims.com we came up with a set of shims for the pin holding the mainspring lever. My gun needed .005 on each side between the frame and inside the lever, after installing these and a set of shims in the hammer dog the action is as smooth as butter.