Redhawk 45 4" except for the grips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
I never could get the Redhawk to fit me right. The standard wood grips worked the best but still did not work right. I would love to try the Super Redhawk with the wood insert grips as Hogues and my hands do not get along.

Now stick a single action in my hand and it fits like a glove including the Bisley. Maybe I wasn't meant to shoot double actions :)

saltydog

Bearcat
Finally got to handle a 4" Redhawk today and it followed me home. It's the 44 mag, though.

The standard grips seem to be OK, so I'll take it to the range this weekend and see how it shoots.

PX4 Storm

Bearcat
The Hogue grips on the 4" Redhawk do feel strange until you fire the gun with them.

I tried the standard rosewood grips and the Hogue grips on my 4 inch Redhawk, and while I like the looks of the rosewood grips, the Hogue grips are the best when it comes to shooting.

My advice is to shoot the 4" Redhawk with the Hogue grips. You might find that your opinion of them will change.

RickH":2fq4e1vr said:
I have a Blackhawk Bisley in 45 Colt and really like the gun and caliber. I want a DA revolver and, since I like the 45 Colt, am considering a new Redhawk .45 4". I was able to look at a 44 magnum version at the dealer yesterday. Unfortunately the factory Hogue grip felt awkward (big, fat).

The S&W N-frames (Models 629 and 325) I've tried with Hogue factory grips are a good fit for me and a GP100 with old-style factory wood-insert grips is also a good fit.

Is there a grip that would make the Redhawk fit more like a S&W N-frame or GP100, or is the Redhawk simply too big for me? Thanks for the help.

freakindawgen

Single-Sixer
I had the Hogue grips on a S & W 29 and loved them,got small hands and could shoot onehanded.Even my g/f liked shooting it over my 1911.My Hogues on my 4 inch 45lc Redhawk wont let me behind the trigger guard,so my hand cant get up behind the hammer.Gun unnaturally points muzzle high.I have the standard grips now,found used and got the rest from Ruger,thought about the Tyler insert but works just fine without.

Skalkaho Slim

Blackhawk
I love the wood grips, but they do wander when shooting quickly.

I did this to solve the problem.........
Redhawk038.jpg

KurtC

Single-Sixer
I love Ruger revolvers, but I never did like shooting any gun with a square butt. Hamilton Bowen had the perfect solution.

Redhawk003.jpg

andyo5

Single-Sixer
The wooden Ruger grips are still available and work fine for me. They also look good. You will need a different plastic frame plug, also available from Ruger.

Hastings

Single-Sixer
I'd encourage you to get a pair of Executioner's stag grips. Here is a picture of my brother's Redhawk wearing Executioner's beautiful handiwork. They feel better than factory rosewood grips, much better than the aweful rubber things, and man are they sexy.
By the way, you won't find a nicer guy do do business with.
[/img]
NewGrips2.jpg

Tankhead

Bearcat
bronco45":w8fevxn6 said:
Herrett is still in business and I just got a set of ROPER style grips for an L frame Smith. About to check with Rod Herrett to see if he made the Ropers for the Redhawk. I have a 4" 44 Redhawk.

They do, I e-mailed them a couple weeks ago aout my 4" RH. Here's thier response:

Choosing a stock style from our custom line is somewhat a matter of personal
perference. However, the Jordan Trooper on a Redhawk is fairly large but it does
help with recoil. The Roper seems to work for those with small hands but it has an
open back so it doesn't help as much with the recoil.

Delivery time for our custom stocks is approximately 15-20 weeks.

Please feel free to call and speak with our custom stock maker at 208-733-1498
if you need more information or would like to discuss this further.

Sincerely,

Robin
Herrett's Stocks, Inc.

Tankhead

Bearcat
Hastings":107yfrsk said:
I'd encourage you to get a pair of Executioner's stag grips. Here is a picture of my brother's Redhawk wearing Executioner's beautiful handiwork. They feel better than factory rosewood grips, much better than the aweful rubber things, and man are they sexy.
By the way, you won't find a nicer guy do do business with.
[/img]
NewGrips2.jpg

Those are nice. I inquired to his post in the Classified section a few days ago. As much as I like wood, he's gonna help me with some of those. He e-mailed me with this response. And your right, great guy to do business with: :D :D :D

'I will just make you up a pair. I don't normally make to many ahead of time anyway, that way I can customize them to the bark and thickness you want. Thank you Patrick

Latest posts