recommendations for carry pistol and caliber?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

flyers76

Bearcat
I'm an SR9 owner who is going for a CCW permit in 2 weeks...would love to use the SR9 as my primary carry weapon but it's just too bulky. Been researching several different guns as a CC choice and would like feedback on the following:
SR9c
LCP
LCR
Kel-Tec
Springfield
Taurus
Don't want to spend over 400, BTW, so forget Sig or Walther..

Also, suggested caliber: .380, 9mm or 40 S&W?

Cholo

Staff member
"Also, suggested caliber: .380, 9mm or 40 S&W?"

Adequate, better, much better. It's your personal choice which vehicle to launch it out of.

Ruger Nut10

Single-Sixer
If you already have a SR9 the C would be a great match. all controls are the same so as some one else said "Fear the man with only one gun". If you need slimmer, go with a "Taur 709" since $400 is your budget.
I am a little skinny and can hide a 1911 with a good holster and the SR9c is slim enough to hide for sure. Just sayin....

Ruger SR9C

Bearcat
I would go with the Ruger SR9C, thats the one I use for CC and is working fine, not to bulky. I paid $465.00 for mine and I know you only have $400 to spend but you may find it for that price or less. Check out BubsGuns.com I think they have it for under $400. I was looking into getting the full size SR9 how do you like it? The plus side of the SR9C is the 10 round and the 17 round mags, I carry mine with the 10 and one in the chamber and it`s not to heavy. Let us know on what you decided on and good luck.

Turbobuddha

Single-Sixer
I got my SR9c in my hand for $420 (got it from a forum member/dealer here). I really like it. I actually carry the SR9 full size still most of them time. Crossbreed Supertuck hides all.

If you feel you need something smaller and you like the SR9, go with the SR9c. The grip length is what will give you the most trouble. Taking that inch off really helps. But liek I said, I still carry the full size most of the time and it's just fine. Don't forget the cost of a good holster (or two) and a GOOD gun belt. I use the Supertuck and the Crossbreed belt on the weekends and use a homemade leather holster during the week (can't carry at a work and got tired of carrying an empty holster or fighting with trying to get the Supertuck back on while in the car).

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
If the SR9 is too bulky I doubt 3/4" here or there is going to make the SR9c that much more attractive. You might try an LCP on for size at your local GS, and see if you can comfortably fit that in your pocket. If you're going to wear it IWB anyway you might as well get a bigger gun, but the LCP in the pocket removes a lot of the "bulk" factor, I've found.

You do have to adjust to pocket carry though. Keys, coins, whatever, might need to go in a different one than you're currently using.

-- Sam

MountainGator

Single-Sixer
I carry an LCP. As a Carry Piece it is a fine pistol (imho) ESPECIALLY in the hot & Sticky months (when I'm in Florida). But it is NOT a target pistol, the sites suck, a very small grip, it kicks a bit (because of the light weight). and IMHO the .380 Auto round is on the hairy edge of being effective as a SD round.

But it depends on the Situation and the Tarrain (as they used to say in Infantry School). If I was not in shorts and a tee-shirt... If I had to walk or drive through "Gang Land" or similar places, I'd find a way to carry at least a 9mm (short) double stack, a la the Kel Tec P11 (min), or the next step up, SR9C or equivalent (Glock, Sig, XD, etc.), and an Extra Mag to boot!

If ONE is new and inexperienced to pistols in general, and does not want to spend the time and $ to train, then look that LCR. It's a lot bigger than the LCP, but you can't beat the simplicity of a revolver (imho) that really will never fail you, and the .38Spl+P SD is Very formadable.

And as for the LCP pocket carry, I use "cargo shorts" and "cargo pants" when I travel in the winter. I can easily get to the cargo pocket when sitting in the car or anywhere else, without standing up, and without haveing the rearange my other pockets. It looks like I have a notebook or camera or wallet in the pocket.

StaySafe,
MG

First i think you would be best served to stick with 9mm. You've already got one, why not two?

And with that I'll also vote for the SR9C... keep it simple. It will not be a pocket gun but you can adapt.

3leggeddog

Single-Sixer
The S+W BodyGuard .380 will be coming out in May. It . may be worth your time to wait and check it out.

Texasgunner

Single-Sixer
:roll: Read my mind

6.jpg

ConradM

Blackhawk
SR9 to bulky? :shock: How skinny are you?

How do you plan to carry? With a good IWB holster the SR9 is pretty easy to conceal.

kscott

Single-Sixer
To me, it depends on how you are wanting to carry. If you want to go with IWB, I would definitely go with the SR9c because it is both familiar and presumably comfortable for you to shoot. If you're going pocket carry, I wouldn't go with the SR9c, but I'd go with the LCP, LCR, Taurus 709, or something of similar size. Personally I'm not sure there is a more concealable double stack subcompact than the SR9c because of its very slim grip and slide. By the way, the difference between the concealability of the SR9 and the SR9c is very, very substantial. The difference in the grip length makes all the difference in the world. Don't trust me though, get your hands on one and try it out in your current IWB holster (with gun store owner's permission).

EricandSuebee

Single-Sixer
best thing is to go to your gun shop and handle the guns, asking questions on the forum is great as well but without actually handling the gun first hand you can't get a clear picture.

halfmoonclip

Bearcat
If you are really, actually going to carry all the time, then better get something small. I respect the guys that pack medium/full size pistols, but they are just too much in the way for many of my activities.

An LCP in a pocket holster is the answer for 'all the time'.
I have a Ti Smith .357 as a hiking gun, but even that is too bulky for pocket carry, and I agree with da' Gator that something bigger makes sense for 'Indian country'. But an LCP in your pocket beats a big, bada$$ piece home in the safe or under the car seat. First rule, 'have a gun.'
The LCP will come in under budget, so you can get some extra mags. Ammo is still an issue, but lately it's been an issue for about anything.
Moon
ETA-bunch of us are now reloading .380s and shooting the snot out of them.
M

tkarter

Single-Sixer
A good holster makes any gun easy to carry. I like the crossbreed super tuck the best of any I have tried.

I can carry a P89 all day and night and if I didn't know it was there it wouldn't be. :D

Usually carry a P95

I have yet to find a handgun I can't hide IWB.

tk

tdyoung58

Bearcat
I carried my P345 for almost two years before I got my Sig GSR. Never had a problem with concealing it... just gotta try a few holsters to find what you like. I personally just use a OWB and cover with a t-shirt most days.

High Noon Holsters makes some of the best 'tuckable' holsters IMO, had one for my P345 and worked wonderful, One with a side/skin guard works the best so nothing is digging into your skin when you sit or something. I had the 'tailgator' which was great

I'd choose something in 9mm,

Kel-tec triggers really suck, no worse than really suck

CanonLyles

Single-Sixer
I'd check out what friends are carrying and coax them into letting you shoot and try their guns on for size. You might not like their gun, but it might give you an idea of what you're looking for. That's what I plan to do whenever I get off my butt and go get my CCW. LOL

BTW, I know a lot guys that carry .38 spl derringers most of the time. Only 2 shots, but you can stash them anywhere.

halfmoonclip

Bearcat
CanonLyles":30ktccx7 said:
I'd check out what friends are carrying and coax them into letting you shoot and try their guns on for size.

BTW, I know a lot guys that carry .38 spl derringers most of the time. Only 2 shots, but you can stash them anywhere.

Trying out other guys guns (both shooting them and carrying them) is an excellent idea, and a lot cheaper than buying and trying.

AVOID the double derringers. They were a great idea 150 years ago; now not so much. They are hard to cock one handed(and there is some chance of a discharge if you fumble), slow to fire and reload, and not terribly accurate. The high quality ones are bulky (really no smaller and lighter than a J-frame), and the inexpensive ones look and act it. Unless you are a CAS, there are much better choices out there.
Moon