RE: "SOG" Sixes...and a "facelift"....or

Help Support Ruger Forum:

1RugerFan_33

Single-Sixer
0n 1-24-01, I took delivery/ownership of my 1st ever "Six Series" Ruger, a gov't contract Police Service Six, for the princely sum of $275 OTD($195.00 retail+$10.00 "handpick"+ tax+"paperwork"; complete with a pretty cool pistol rug "free" of charge from my LGS :shock: :lol:

Having read the recent thread about "SOG" Sixes, and that experience, all i will say is this...had i known 'bout them when available again, if like my example from back then...I'da glady sold a few guns/come up with cash, etc, to buy all i could load in the truck, now, FWIW. But then, I've always really liked/got along with my local pusher/LGS (more on this in another thread :wink: )...I don't recall there being any problems with SOG, and i got more than i expected for the funds spent, in my eyes.

This gun has seen me through alot; good n bad. Has seen 6 states other than WI with me, when i worked OTR, when it was the only revolver I had. Was even sold once to friend (in the last of my drinking days, if that tells ya anything :wink: :roll: ), and still found it's way back to me, recently, almost 6yrs later after setting in the dark of a safe, untoutched by my friend...15 cords of firewood cun 'n split 'n stacked, later.

At that point, I knew it'd be onea the last ones I'd ever sell, again....now, even moreso:

Here's how it was after getting it back from my friend; how I had kept/carried it for those first 6 or so years:

IMG_5504.jpg

IMG_5505.jpg

And then...along comes the internet! :lol:

Originally came with those infamous wood "Target" grips...i love wood much as the next guy...but i don't have Incredible Hulk hands....so on went the Sile (i think) grips you see in the above pics...better, but not quite "right"...kick like a mule with them on, it did, but easier to carry/conceal (ie, thinner)...so i dealt.

Kept those originals, all these years...musta been a reason :wink: ....ask my girlfriend, FiveseveN.

I stripped the wood; did the Tru-oil....but she reshaped them, with my input as to what i wanted/was looking for as far as fit/shaping, etc...in her words she "always wanted to try doing something like that"....

I wasnt that brave for that kinda work :oops: ; who am i to argue?

The difference in fit/size/etc, is subtle; maybe you can't even see all the work she put into them...but i can/could soon as i pick it up, now! :D At least 20 hours of work n'effort, on that part alone :shock:

As to the gun's finish....well that's her and I both; 40+ hrs in that...all i will say is Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish rocks...not having a dremel...not so much...maybe (Lord knows how a "slip" coulda changed things! :eek: )

shiny01.jpg

shiny02.jpg

shiny04.jpg

shiny05.jpg

shiny03.jpg

If this as close as i ever get to a nickeled S&W Model 19/66...I'm good :D

It's my woods/nightstand gun, now...158gr JSP Federal American Eagle Eagle, it's prefered load, there; 125gr jacketed hollowpoints in the nightstand...I don't think an intruder would want risk his life on the splitted difference in accuracy, up close...

This was one of the best projects I've ever worked on; in no small part due to the time shared :wink: It was the one that got me started on the Six Series...indeed, sold me on them! :D :D

PS: Photos by FiveseveN, too...credit where credit's due!

FiveseveN

Bearcat
*grins* I don't think my photos do it justice... sitting right here in front of me, it looks so much better than the pics above...

I really enjoyed sharing this project, and time with you!