Question for Flategate

Help Support Ruger Forum:

You stated as an answer to another question:
"The condition, IMHO, makes it a "run of the mill" example of the RSSM. I'd consider it to be in the "shooter" class and would probably let it go. Value? A tough call..... $275 or so....."

I have noticed that many times people say the value of a Single Six to be around the price you mentioned but I have NEVER seen one offered anywhere for those prices. Most I have see are in the very high 300.00 to low 400.00 dollar range. Where can one go to get the prices you mention?

radicalrod

Hunter
Hey Fox Mike, that is a good question you are asking and I understand I am not Flat gate.......I too want to know where all the 200 to 250 old shooters are :lol: :lol: :lol: yes I have seen a few but most are as you say quite a bit higher....sometimes we live a little in the past and it is hard to drag ourselves into the present......I remember buying Bearcats for 250 and less with the boxes it seems not all that many years ago.....now it is hard to find one at a show with less than 400 on the ticket....most are asking more for a fairly common gun....of course a new one will set you back that much and I would rather have an old one.....keep looking and you will find the one you are seeking grasshopper 8) 8) 8) BUT remember that it may take 10 tanks of fuel to do it :roll: :roll: :roll: costs 100 to fill my F350 so if you want to worry about paying 25 to 50 too much just fill the truck up and head to another show :lol: :lol: :lol: good luck in the search.....RR

hittman

Staff member
I too am not Flatgate but suspect the prices have to do with geographic location.

Here in the corn belt, I recently paid $300.00 for a VERY NICE Super Single Six Old Model, unconverted, 6.5", both cylinders, etc. It sat in the case for 6 weeks or so before I had a weak moment and snagged it.

Picked up an 85% 1959 made 5.5" OM unconverted Single Six for $275.00.

Seems to going rate around these parts.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Got both my OM SS6 and my NM .45, both 95% condition, for under $300 by keeping an eye on Gunbroker daily...(This was several years back but not too many) Had I been flush enough, I'd of snapped up a beauty of a SS 10.5" bull barrel SBH not long ago for $350...Seems sometimes the ones "too good to be true" aren't! :shock:

Just gotta be diligent about watching... :wink:

JMHO...

Flash

Buckeye
Fox Mike, they're out there for sure. I found an old model single six back in July that's beautiful. No box, just the gun but for $250 plus tax and transfer. I'll send you a pm

flatgate

Hawkeye
I'll stand behind the above posts. "Every Day" prices aren't "bottom dollar" prices. I've "bird dogged" guns for months and months. All of a sudden you are there at the shop and the owner is willing to "make a deal".

Patience is a good thing.

JMHO,

flatgate

hittman

Staff member
Patience (and luck) is how I ended up scoring TWO 3" GP100's in 24 hours.

Flash said:
Fox Mike, they're out there for sure. I found an old model single six back in July that's beautiful. No box, just the gun but for $250 plus tax and transfer. I'll send you a pm
Received the PM. I'll have to head up that way and look around.

Gumby

Bearcat
Fox Mike, like you, I also live in Maryland. Dealers in Maryland are not anywhere as prolific as what you will see in the neighboring states of Pennsylvania and Virginia. I often go to gun shows in Maryland, and sometimes see about as many gun dealers as I have fingers on one hand. Maryland dealers, as you probably already know, often sell new guns at MSRP. I rarely see a bargain with used guns in this state, and just chalk it up to the fact that the dealers have a smaller audience and therefore, just have fewer sales, so for them, every sale counts.

I often go to shows in Virginia, and on occasion, even Pennsylvania. In Virginia there is one show that advertises 1200+ tables. Many of the dealers at that show do a high volume of sales. Unlike Maryland, VA buyers can go home with their handguns (after a background check) on the same day, as opposed to having to wait up to two weeks (and sometimes even longer) in MD. The high volume dealers in VA will often have dozens of the same gun at a show, especially if it a hot new item. That is something I don't think I've ever seen at a MD show. You also must realize that the high volume dealers are probably getting a better price from the gun distributors. When the Kel-Tec P380 first came out, I was at a Virginia show and saw a guy purchase one for himself, and one for his wife. When the dealer saw that he needed two guns, he went under a table to retrieve the guns. The box must have had twenty-five more in it.

Another killer (pun intended) is the fact that you might go to a MD show in Frederick, MD and fall in love with a gun that a dealer is selling. Do you want to wait two weeks for that gun, then have to drive over one hundred miles (one way)to the dealer's shop on the other side of the state to pick it up?

I have often seen great deals (new and used) at VA shows that I would gladly have purchased at a MD show, but by the time I paid the transfer fee, and maybe shipping (if there is no MD FFL at that show), plus having to drive to the FFL "TWICE," it just isn't worth it .... unless it was a once in a lifetime find.

I guess that the way I see it is that since Maryland is a small state that requires all transfers involve an FFL, it will simply cost us more. Buying outside of the state might bring you a bargain, but do you want to pay fifty to one hundred dollars to an FFL plus shipping? On the other hand, if you find a FFL that charges a lot less, it may be worth all the trouble, but one close to me is now charging one hundred ten dollars.

Gumby

louiethelump

Buckeye
I watch Gunbroker all through most every day. (several times each day; not all day non stop) I have the things I am looking for set up as a search with e-mail notification when something gets listed for sale. Another thing I do that found me a nice early standard model about 2 weeks ago for $125 is check all the reserve auctions that so many people hate and ignore, if they have a BUY IT NOW price. Sometimes the BIN price will be surprisingly low, and you snap it up. That was the case with the Standard.

It takes some effort, and if you are not going to work at it you won't find as many by just happening into them.

There are still some single sixes out there for $250 or so, but they are creeping up. Lots of them that are a lot more and a lot of junkie ones too.