New member Wrangler question...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hello all, Chisholm Charlie here!
Presumptuous nickname huh? Had about 4 seconds for something alliterative that I could remember.
My first Ruger was a 10/22 "Sporter", 12th birthday present from local "Whitey's" Western Auto in 1967, and latest is the topic Wrangler, a 6 1\2" Midnight Blue/Brass Cerakote TALO Distributors exclusive.
To the point, I really love the look especially with a set of faux ram horn grips, but before any use and very little handling the cylinder exhibits some large random reddish blotches around it!? My other Rugers, 3 Wranglers included, still look fine after years and many rounds.
This is not a big deal (yet), but I'd hate to have it get worse if I can prevent it, or even restore it to the blueing found on the rest of the cylinder.
Cosmetic only I presume, but unsightly on a spanking new piece.
It's a plinker\hunter that will be worn and rough in due time, so my current a&@! retentiveness is pretty silly but....
What's the deal? Are Wranglers just poorly blued these days?

Thanks for this forum and your replies in advance, Chisholm Charlie

hittman

Staff member
Welcome to the forum.
Wranglers aren't blued, Think it's ceracoat or something of the sort ….. like powder coating.
You should contact Ruger.
They'll probably want it back for repairs.

gunman42782

Hunter
Welcome to the forum.
Wranglers aren't blued, Think it's ceracoat or something of the sort ….. like powder coating.
You should contact Ruger.
They'll probably want it back for repairs.
The cylinders ARE blued. The rest of the gun is ceracoated.

The cylinders ARE blued. The rest of the gun is ceracoated.
Ahh, but the CYLINDER is, all Wrangler cylinders are. The frame is Cerakote on Wranglers, all are. 20240104_182847.jpg 20240104_182856.jpg 20240104_182921.jpg

Thanks quickdraw...I mean gunman42782.
We must have posted at the same time! Take a look at my pictures, not really worth a return as defect on a non-collectable, right?
Thanks some more, you too hittman!
Chisholm Charlie

Johnnu2

Hunter
Almost looks like rust below the bluing........ I'd send it back. They will probably send you a pre-paid label. Call'em and see.

J.

Could those blotches be where it was handled by someone who had something on their hands that would damage a blued steel surface? Like vinegar, lemon juice, blood, etc?

Agree that a call to Ruger to request a return label is in order.

I appreciate all the input, but hate to chase a firearm around through a dealer again! I'd need it to come back through an FFL, right? There's another handling charge hit, right?
I submitted an inquiry, but Ruger C.S. didn't offer an attachment selection.
We'll see ......
Afterthought! It spent overnight in a new holster and it's back there now. Hope the tanning chems. aren't the culprit. Looks really possible with the blotchy pattern similar to the contact inside the holster.
Again we'll see.

Last edited:
Welcome!

I would send it back. I live in Oregon, pretty uptight on guns here. But if Ruger sends you a label, you can ship it to them direct and they will return it directly to you. This only applies to manufacturer returns however. Check your state regulations- but I wouldn't be surprised if you could deal direct with Ruger. Its all contingent on Ruger generating the label though.

Thank you! Those are both RW Gripframes grip frames that I fit and installed. I have a thing about making stuff "my own". I believe there are some things that should be respected in their original state- but game on for the rest of the stuff!

Here's a no-pedigree Single Six that I fit a Super Blackhawk grip frame to-

IMG_8419.jpeg

And a bigger pic of the two in my avatar-

IMG_6333.jpeg

varminter22

Single-Sixer
Welcome!

I would send it back. I live in Oregon, pretty uptight on guns here. But if Ruger sends you a label, you can ship it to them direct and they will return it directly to you. This only applies to manufacturer returns however. Check your state regulations- but I wouldn't be surprised if you could deal direct with Ruger. Its all contingent on Ruger generating the label though.
As far as federal law goes, I'm pretty sure it doesn't have to be a manufacturer. If you send to a gunsmith (who will also be an FFL, of course), said 'smith can return said firearm right back to you.

And, getting a shipping label from Ruger is not a federal requirement; its a Ruger requirement.

"I submitted an inquiry, but Ruger C.S. didn't offer an attachment selection."

I'd try calling them about the issue rather than emailing. I think you might have better luck with the request that way.

We're impressed with the same appearance in our revolvers eh Randyzzz?!
Check out the Wrangler with that cylinder issue that has me so vexed. Really got me bummed, never even out of the house and looks ruined.
Thanks for sharing about your cool revolvers,
Charlie 20240104_162504.jpg

This is a great and very active forum!
Thanks Y'all.
You know I'm thinking about a "patina-in-a-bottle" project on this cylinder. I like the notion of a contrasting finish, and modification projects are my favorite hobby anyway.
A goldish brown would really look cool, and any normal even wear would add to the effect, to me. If I wanted to protect it, I have a 2K automotive clear coat in my cabinet right now.
Anyone on here have any experience with "Patina F\X" products?
Thanks as always, Chi' Cha'

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum Charlie!

I understand how the appearance of certain things can bother a person. And yes,, a POLITE call to Ruger may well get you a pre-paid return shipping label, And I do think they can return the gun directly to you.

That said,,, keep in mind the Wrangler was built as a more affordable firearm for many to just shoot & enjoy. Production volume is a key part of mass manufacturing. Minor finish issues can easily slip by the parts handlers on the assembly line. And as mentioned,, it's also possible a person handling the gun with bare hands that may be a bit acidic,, or having other stuff on their hands got on it. It may not have shown up immediately,, but over a few days or weeks while the gun was between being built & your buying it,, that blemishing began to appear.
So, if you do wish to have Ruger look at it etc,, calling,, not an email,, works best. And above all else,, be polite. They have a great customer service dept. And they know little things get by the assemblers.

But if your plans are to modify it anyway,, why bother?

Many folks here modify their guns to suit their desires. Others,, look for "as shipped" collectables & find them intriguing. And some of us are both. I prefer to keep many of my Rugers "as shipped" for collecting purposes. But the active shooters,, I will do things to make them suit my needs & desires. But generally,, I prefer to only do things that can be "undone" if the gun is a bit of a desirable type. (An example is my shooter .357 Maximum Blackhawk. I've swapped the sights, and added a Belt Mtn base pin. I also have plans for a RW grip frame,, the Bradshaw Bisley type. All mods are reversible. But I also own a custom cut OM Super Blackhawk that I purchased that way.) So it can be fun to go different directions.

You decide what your desires are, it's your gun,, and then choose your option!

As far as federal law goes, I'm pretty sure it doesn't have to be a manufacturer. If you send to a gunsmith (who will also be an FFL, of course), said 'smith can return said firearm right back to you.

And, getting a shipping label from Ruger is not a federal requirement; its a Ruger requirement.
I agree thatFederal law allows it. However, neither FedEx or UPS will accept a firearms shipment from an individual without an FFL. They will accept a shipment to a FFL when the shipping tag was originated at the receiving FFL. And, only if the FFL has a contractural agreement with the selected carrier. Once repaired, they will deliver back to your home address.

So- paying Ruger to issue a shipping tag is your best choice. However, on the cylinder finish issue, Ruger should issue a shipping tag under warranty at no charge.
IMG_8555.png
IMG_8556.png

varminter22

Single-Sixer
Interesting. I have shipped (even very recently) without having a "label". No problem here.

Maybe it is a state law issue where you live.

Latest posts