New member Wrangler question...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Welcome to the Forum Charlie!

I understand how the appearance of certain things can bother a person. And yes,, a POLITE call to Ruger may well get you a pre-paid return shipping label, And I do think they can return the gun directly to you.
Exactly contender, my thinking on all points including "be polite"! I've never been one to push buttons or blame anyone, and the times I have had a cross with someone I feel like an a$$ 10 seconds later and apologize.
On the cylinder issue I may be onto something too.
Upon unboxing all I did (forgot) was pull the cylinder to remove the chamber block device, and noticed it sounded gritty in the base pin and latch. Handy on the bench was a "superlube" (more on that later) so placed as little as possible on the base pin at the latch and holstered the piece. A couple of days later, out comes the ugly cylinder and my dismay.
Yesterday I got a hunch and wiped the cylinder with gun solvent, and it faded the blotches some. A saturated cloth brought better results, and rubbing hard helped more. Denatured alcohol brought better results and I'm soaking the cylinder now.
That superlube is just that, and a great one! The cylinder spins for 5 or 6 seconds now, and mechanisms with bearings will spin for 12-15 seconds with its use.
The stuff is reputed to actually impregnate the metal when applied and left in place, and I DO believe it now! When the hyper oil comes out of the bottle it can't be stopped, never a smidge or drop. My application ran through the base pin and out around the cylinder in the holster and, sitting over hours and days, it impregnated the bluing.
It's going to be a process, but I think extreme solvents will soak it back out. I'm afraid to name it and defame a product, but everything points to it. I'll certainly be cleaning the inside of that holster!!
More later if anyone cares,
Chisholm Charlie

Hope you can get it back to your satisfaction. If you can't, you could always refinish just the cylinder. Cerakote, cold blue, etc. I had a Wrangler for a bit and wondered what it would take to flute the cylinder…

By the way-I would never store a gun in a holster. The leather holds moisture and can contribute to rust. I learned that the hard way on a nice knife.

Good luck!

Hope you can get it back to your satisfaction. If you can't, you could always refinish just the cylinder. Cerakote, cold blue, etc. I had a Wrangler for a bit and wondered what it would take to flute the cylinder…

By the way-I would never store a gun in a holster. The leather holds moisture and can contribute to rust. I learned that the hard way on a nice knife.

Good luck!
Thanks for the affirmative hopes Randyzzz,

I think it's coming around. Each soak and wipe lightens the reddish cast some.
On the redo with other finish, like I mentioned, I'm looking into "Patina F/X" products. Mr. Bill Worden's line of chemicals to react on various metals with mottling effects. The deciding factor, if the bluing doesn't come back to suit me, will be the reasonable expectation that I won't damage the cylinder as far as operation. Messing up indexing and timing....no way! I'm actually glad there's no fluting to get rounded down when I polish before the patina job.

Keep up the good banter and helpful hints guys. I am a member of several forums and this one is the best for interaction so far!
Chisholm Charlie

varminter22

Single-Sixer
I got that right off the websites. And the offices here in Oregon follow it to a "T". But it's supposedly a national policy now.
Interesting. Just last month, I shipped a firearm (that I sold on GB) straight to the buyer's FFL guy. No shipping label.

On shipping policies and laws, believe it or not, I've received -TO MY DOOR- bundles of long guns, both rifles and shotguns, straight from an overseas straw, or pick-a-number to claim, auction on a military base.
I refrain from details 'cause I wish not to get the shipper in trouble if it IS illegal!!
I told them high cost FFL dealer red tape was the only way,...they proved me wrong 3X.
My only benefit was a Japanese branded (Miroku) Browning Citori 725 for $350 equivalent plus $40 something shipping.

hittman

Staff member
Now that this thread has morphed into shipping and legalities from Wrangler …. Here's a shipping info thread from Classifieds. Most of this is covered there and is a FYI, not instructions or legal advice.

Now that this thread has morphed into shipping and legalities from Wrangler …. Here's a shipping info thread from Classifieds. Most of this is covered there and is a FYI, not instructions or legal advice.
Sorry I chimed in on the morphing, I'm actually glad to see that called down.
I'll try to watch how far it goes in the future. Chisolm Charlie

hittman

Staff member
No worries Charlie …. Just wanted to make sure that additional info was spread around again …..

contender

Ruger Guru
CC,, most of the Forum members here are polite,, & try to help folks. Plus we don't tolerate much "bad" behavior when a new member gets out of line. We TRY very, very HARD to get them to understand things,, before taking any drastic action.

If a person joins to be a troll, or to stir controversy, or similar stuff,, they soon learn it's not appreciated.

But if you have legitimate questions,, or seek advice or help,, it will be offered. yes,, occasionally there are thread drifts or even a hijack. But it's often because of the content offered.

Looks like you have the attitude most of us here have,, so again; "Welcome!"

KIR

Sparks, NV
HA! Didn't fall for this one. I was 99% this was NOT about Wrangler clothing! :)

Latest posts