Proper barrel length for the 41 Cal Blackhawk?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Glupy

Blackhawk
Kuna, Idaho - a sparkling jewel in a park-like set
I see that Ruger sells them in both 4 5/8 and 6 ½. I know the usual stuff about bullet speed, balance and weight. But is there a "proper" barrel length of the 41 MAG Blackhawks?

I kind of like the "shorties" and have a 357, 44 and 45 in that length already. I have become intrigued by the ballistics of the 41s. I am a reloader but this will be a new caliber for me.

Comments or suggestions?

Glupy

GAR

Single-Sixer
Have a BH with a 4 5/8" a Bisley with a 5 1/2" another SBH with a 7 1/2", along with a S&W 57 with a 6". Heck even have a 1894 Marlin FG with a 20" barrel. Last but not least is a Redhawk Hunter with a 7 1/2" barrel.

It all comes down to what you like.
Since you reload it is a pretty straight forward round to reload.

Tom
I shoot a lot of cast bullets that I make so bullets are never a problem.

Otony

Blackhawk
Many, many years ago, the gun writers of the day were polled by, I believe, Smith & Wesson as to the most useful barrel length for all-around use. All-around was considered to be target, hunting, and plinking.

At that time, the overall consensus was that 6 1/2" performed best. Perhaps not from a ballistic standpoint, as longer barrels are certainly more effective. However, as most have pointed out, you only have the two choices.

Unless of course you find a Bisley or Hunter Blackhawk. For what it is worth, I own a 6 1/2" Flattop and find it pretty much perfect. Slightly easier to pack than a 7 1/2" revolver, though not by much, and it wrings out ALL of what I need from the .41 Magnum. Much handier than my old Smith 57 with the 8 3/8" barrel too!

Rclark

Hunter
The only caliber that seems to need a longer barrel length is .30 Carb (Just what I read between the lines). All others is a personal preference.

The "right" length? Well if you like the shorter barrels, that's what you should probably stay with. Ballistically in a handgun the numbers don't alter enough to swing me one way or the other. On the other hand having most of my guns in the same barrel length, sight configuration, and velocity range sure makes it easy to keep proficient and allows that immediate feeling of familiarity when I pick one up. In a pinch they fit the same holsters too :)
I prefer a 3.5 to 4 3/4 length myself, but did have a long tom Ruger 44 mag that seemed lazer guided when shooting w-a-y out there.

Aside from the fact, that in some states, there is a "minimum" length of 5 inches, if to be used to hunt with, such as whitetail deer , here in Ohio...................then you get into just "how long" of a barrel is needed to attain magnum " velocity" ????
we prefer "feel" and balance, then worry about what is "needed" for the 'other' things........

rcramden

Bearcat
Have to agree with preference stand point. I prefer the 61/2" barrels. They just look sexier to me. I have a .41 blk hawk with the 61/2" and a super blk hawk hunter with 71/2" barrels. Love em both. Something about the .41 that intrigues me. It is one of my favorites to load for.

popplecop

Bearcat
Six and a half all the way, because it's the only one I have. Seriously I do like it very much, my other Ruger SA Centerfires are a 44 mag/5.5, 357/4 5/8 and .32 H&R 4 5/8s. and not giving up any of them. My old SS 22 from 1960 is 6.5 and old Bearcat from the 2nd yr. made 4"s.

RICHP

Single-Sixer
I have all factory lengths, I prefer the five and one half. I am building one with a three and three quarter bbl.. because I think they look good.
Ballistics wise I don,t know.

Latest posts