Please post pics of your Ram's Horn, my new favorite grip!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

caryc

Hawkeye
6gun said:
CLC, I like how you use matching grip hardware stainless or blued to match the gun it shows you have a good eye for detail, I have seen other grip makers that have real nice grips also but they use brass grip hardware on stainless and blue guns it is just wrong and miss matched when they do that, I won't buy grips from a maker that uses brass since I have no brass guns.

My thoughts exactly. So much so that I had to have a machine shop make my grip screws for me. You just can't buy black hardware anywhere. In fact, I had them make mine over length so I could trim each screw to match the set of grips. This let me mount the ferrules just below the surface. I think one thing that absolutely ruins a pair of grips is that ferrule set way down in a too deep quarter inch hole.

Sometimes it's not exactly the fault of the grip maker to use the mismatched stuff. You just can't find made up grip screws, the right size and length. Try and find a machine shop that will make you a run of grip screws. They all have a minimum order and price. You have to be prepared to lay out a lump some of cash.

Then for the ferrules, you need to get them black anodized. More cash laid out.

Thanks for the compliments.

Here is my set of horns. I guess I would have to buy a single action or maybe another GP100 to get grips or inserts made.

j8k7ie.jpg

flyerdoc

Single-Sixer
looks like it would make a lovely club as well! BTW, I'm just curious, does anyone know what the cost would be to purchase horns like that???

BearBio

Buckeye
BearBio said:

I currently have 3 sets. One is pictured above on an OM Blackhawk in 41 Mag.
Another is on an OM Blackhawk 30 Carbine. No pictures right now.

Both have matching knives from Bark River.

The other is waiting for Bobby Tyler to finish up on a custom 38-40 Vaquero. It will have a matching Bowie with ram's horn.

All are from Patrick Grashorn.

A shameless plug=this is listed in the classifieds right now with one interested part.

Spencer

Single-Sixer
Here is my contribution to the thread.
first pic is completed with octogan barrel and SBH hammer spur. It is a .32 mag

02378.JPG

02743.JPG

home_070.jpg

Joe S.

Hunter
They are narrow but the only ones I've found that are even close.

I HOPE they will work on an XR3-RED with a rounded butt that Harton is going to put on the gun he is building for me.

If not they will go on my birdshead. If they end up on the birdshead, then there will be enough left to make a set for my NAA mini.

caryc

Hawkeye
Joe S. said:
They are narrow but the only ones I've found that are even close.

I HOPE they will work on an XR3-RED with a rounded butt that Harton is going to put on the gun he is building for me.

If not they will go on my birdshead. If they end up on the birdshead, then there will be enough left to make a set for my NAA mini.

It takes at the very least 2 1/16" in width for the widest part at the bottom of XR3-RED grips. With a round butt frame you might be able to skate by with something narrower.

Joe S.

Hunter
This is a hair over 2". It is iffy, but i had to try. I can never find this stuff. Jantz actually had this in stock.

We will see.

LSCG

Buckeye
Joe, how thick are they?

if they are pretty thick you can sand them from the bottom and that overhang on the right panel will flatten out and give you a little bit more space.

Joe S.

Hunter
They are between 1/4 and 5/16 at the edges i believe. About 3/8 in the middle. Going to try that. That's my only hope of the xr3-red grips fitting.

Spencer

Single-Sixer
BearBio said:
BearBio said:

I currently have 3 sets. One is pictured above on an OM Blackhawk in 41 Mag.
Another is on an OM Blackhawk 30 Carbine. No pictures right now.

Both have matching knives from Bark River.

The other is waiting for Bobby Tyler to finish up on a custom 38-40 Vaquero. It will have a matching Bowie with ram's horn.

All are from Patrick Grashorn.

A shameless plug=this is listed in the classifieds right now with one interested part.

I wish.....
I wish it hadn't sold!
I wish I had the funds!
I wish I could have bought it!
I wish I had brass and dies for a .41 mag!

Absolutely beautiful pair there Bearbio!!

Latest posts