PC9... trying to determine if I should keep it or sell it

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Al James

Hunter
A few years back we had a member here by the name of COFFEEPOT. Apparently, he was one of the designers of the PC carbines. He was very helpful and full of great inside info on many things Ruger including, obviously, the PC's. I miss him. :cry:

welder

Buckeye
Me too Al. I exchanged e-mails with him for a long time and the wealth of knowledge he has is limitless, at least to a Ruger junkie like me. That beautiful engineered P90 has his hand prints all over it too. He told me a great deal about the Mini's although he said he was not directly involved with their engineering. I wish he was still on this board.
The PC carbines were among my favorites and I cannot say why I sold both of mine, but I wish I hadn't. I guess I thought I could pick another one up easily. I was wrong. They seemed to go off the chart price wise almost immediately after they were dropped.

Al James

Hunter
I think I've had 7 or 8 of them through the years. I sold them to either feed my family or was always trying to improve upon the ones that I had condition wise. Then I decided that I wanted the factory Ghost ring models. I got a few to 4 with the early style ghost ring that was mounted near the tang. Sold all but the best 2 in each caliber. Then I decided I didn't want that style GR but instead wanted the GR that is the Mini-14/30 style that was mounted on the receiver. So after some searching and playing musical guns for about 5 years....I now have the clean set I wanted. And after all that screwing around....I NEVER shoot them anymore. I have thought about selling them several times but they end up making the cut because of their close relationship to my beloved P series pistols. Lately I have been enamored with owning/building/shooting high power long range rifles instead. Like I've said in the past, I think I enjoy the hunt more than the meat.

welder

Buckeye
:D Well, let me be the first to post an

"I'LL TAKE IT"

if you ever decide to sell that PC9. This offer to buy has no expiration date and is good for as far as I can see:lol:

I do love the things.

Techknowguy

Bearcat
Hi folks,

Sorry, been away for a while due to work and family demands, but wanted to let all who responded THANKS! As mentioned in an earlier post, I have decided to keep my PC9 and enjoy it. I picked up 500 rounds of Remington 115 gr. UMC to use at the range and am looking forward to seeing how the rifle performs. Do any of you use the 17 round magazines that are available? I have two of the regular 10 round magazines, but want something with a little more capacity that is reliable.

What's your experience been with aftermarket magazines?

Again, thanks for your input!

welder

Buckeye
I have a hard and firm rule when it comes to the aftermarket mag issue, I don't use them. Let me qualify that by saying I have not tried the Pro Mags in the P series and I do hear those work. But after my experiences with the Mini's and I promised myself I'd not throw away another dime on anything but factory. When I had my PC9 I just used the Ruger 15 rounders from my pistols, never a problem. I do have a 32 round aftermarket floating around that I got in a trade but never tried it. Given the reliability of the P series they probably all work fine.

Techknowguy

Bearcat
I have a hard and firm rule when it comes to the aftermarket mag issue, I don't use them. Let me qualify that by saying I have not tried the Pro Mags in the P series and I do hear those work. But after my experiences with the Mini's and I promised myself I'd not throw away another dime on anything but factory. When I had my PC9 I just used the Ruger 15 rounders from my pistols, never a problem. I do have a 32 round aftermarket floating around that I got in a trade but never tried it. Given the reliability of the P series they probably all work fine.

Welder- thanks for the feedback. I think I will do the same regarding mags for the PC9. I have a Mini 30 that I only use factory mags in and have not had a single FTF or FTE, yet.

Specs

Single-Sixer
Techknowguy said:
Hi folks,

Sorry, been away for a while due to work and family demands, but wanted to let all who responded THANKS! As mentioned in an earlier post, I have decided to keep my PC9 and enjoy it. I picked up 500 rounds of Remington 115 gr. UMC to use at the range and am looking forward to seeing how the rifle performs. Do any of you use the 17 round magazines that are available? I have two of the regular 10 round magazines, but want something with a little more capacity that is reliable.

If you shop around you can find 20 round Mecgar mags that always work. In many cases Mecgar make the mags supplied by Ruger. I have 3 for my PC9 and P pistols. Sorry about the Mecgar spelling?

Nathan Frith

Bearcat
Techknowguy said:
Hi folks,

I have 6 (excessive?) of the ProMag 20 rounders in .40 S&W and I have used them in my carbines and my P944 with never a problem. I would recommend them if you are looking for high capacity mags for Ruger P-Series guns. I bought one to begin with and torture tested it at the range, and then promptly bought a few more after a successful outing. I also have several Ruger 11 and 10 round mags which I have never had a problem with. Either way, you can't go wrong, but the Ruger mags are getting hard to find and expensive.

'when I first got my first PC 9 I went the pro mag 20 round direction with it.... then after I got a second one and with a small collection of 9mm P pistols I realized I also had a nice collection of 15 round factory mags and there was no real practical reason for the 20 rounders over 15 rounders.

Knecht

Single-Sixer
+1 for the MecGar mags, have five and can't complain, no matter if used in my PC9 or P89.

Wish I could find a PC4 to accompany the PC9...I reload .40SW for my Glocks, so ammo would be no problem.

Sunset_Va

Bearcat
I have a PC4 I got in a trade about a year ago, it was in excellent condition when I got it, but I detailed stripped it to make sure all the parts were okay and clean it. I do remember there was one assembly in putting it back together , I think in the trigger housing, that did give me a fit. One thing I changed however is I painted the stock a black lightly textured plastic paint.

Even with the open sights, mine was very accurate, I installed a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot sight on it, and it turned out to be a tack driver. I have heard many complain about the triggers on the PC carbines, the one on mine is very good. Just concerns me greatly about Non-Ruger support.

IMAG0496_zpsa13213af.jpg

welder

Buckeye
I just took delivery of a PC9 that was one of a bunch of police trade-in's. An outfit on Gunbroker had a few.

Mine is mechanically sound and shows little wear but it was filthy. The stock has been branded, "538" and there was a strip of tape with "cruiser 1562" on the fore end. It has the blade sights and a double mag pouch along with a couple of mags that were as dirty as any I've ever seen. The ad said, "fired little" and it should have also said, "never cleaned".

I have it cleaned up now and hope to get it to the range when the weather is better. I hope to add another in the future if I can find one and the price is right. I watched three sell for 900+ the last two months at auction.

I wish Ruger would offer them again.

rugerguy211

Single-Sixer
My PC9 has ghost ring sights. Was not aware of the various iterations of them, and am not at home right now so can't check which version is on mine. I have Ruger 10 and 15 round mags, and some aftermarket 20 and 30 rounders. All work perfectly in the PC9 carbine as well as the P89 pistol.
The PC9 would be the last long gun I would ever sell or trade.

Knecht

Single-Sixer
Still not sure if I should put some optics on my PC9...it would deserve it, but I'm also liking the simplicity of the carbine with just iron sights. I'm glad mine has blade sight, I just hate ghost rings.

welder

Buckeye
Same here. I know the ring sights are valued a bit more but I prefer the blade. The PC9 is my vehicle long gun and replaced a Mossberg 590A1, which now has been assigned home defense duty.

I'm not sure how you could make a PC9 anymore robust and sturdy. I would like to have another.

dingo8yourbaby

Bearcat
If you can find these LEO/GOV't ruger factory marked P89/PC9 magazine {somebody on the forum once told me theses "Factory roll marked" didn't exist} here's proof ...will really give your police roll mark carbine a nice added value

15814398094_2421a098bb.jpg

welder

Buckeye
Yes they do exist as I just received two with my PC9. I may have others I just haven't noticed as I have been stock piling P gun mags for a while.