Mini 14: Upgrade It or Sell Off and Buy New

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hankus

Blackhawk
Well, since none off my three Mini 14's have ever jammed, I don't see how an AR can be more dependable. My early, blued GB Model with the "pencil" barrel shoots exceptionally well---my early stainless GB Model is not as accurate, but fully capable of dealing with man sized targets out to any distance a .223 is good for... My later 580 series stainless rifle shoots so well I'm actually thinking about putting an old Leupold 1.5-5X scope on just to see how good it gets... During the 1992 Rodney King Riots here in L.A., the stainless rifle was fitted with a factory Ruger folding stock (still is) and hidden under a newspaper on the floor behind the front passenger seat as I drove to the gun store I was managing at the time... Understand, at the time I bought the two early Minis, they were FAR LESS EXPENSIVE than any AR-15.
I was with 7th ID (LT) in 1992 and deployed to LA with 2nd Brigade.

As far as the AR/Mini debate; I have both and appreciate both designs …

Reactions: jyo

lipofsky

Single-Sixer
I have an early version of the min 14 (181 series) changes out wood stock for hogue over molded due to cracked wood. Can hit clay's at 60 yards with consistent 70% accuracy with iron sights,

black1970

Blackhawk
Just read about a guy on here that shoots 4 to 5 inch groups with a suppressor at 880 yards. If he does he has the World's most accurate Mini. See what he uses for ammo, scope, etc.

JBP

Single-Sixer
I always wanted a Mini-14 in .222 but those are ridiculously priced and wasn't interested in any other caliber. My granddaughter is considering joining the Marines next year when she graduates HS. I figured I get her used to some long range shooting with .556 so I picked up a NIB Mini-14 on GB for $900 which wasn't much more than used ones were going for. Now I know some will say that I should also have gotten her used to an AR platform but since I'll be the one that will be shooting it the most I will admit to being prejudiced against ARs that goes back to my time in Nam up in I Corps '66-'67 when the M16s were 1st being issued. I was Army but interfaced every day with Marlnes who were always trying to buy or trade for my M14 especially since it was fitted with a selector switch for full auto.