P345 re-assembly issue

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ragdog

Bearcat
I installed a new hammer pivot pin. Removed the
ejector to check the tab on the back for damage.
(it fell out the bottom of the mag well in pieces)

Can't figure out how to get it back in correctly.
I assembled the pieces with the long leg of the
spring on the RIGHT side of the assembly as per
the exploded view in the manual. I've now pulled
everything but the trigger out of the frame to get
a view, but still can't figure out where those spring
legs are supposed to go. UP - Down - Back - ??

What a PITA! Any help would be appreciated.

roylt

Hunter
I have never had a 345 apart but it looks close to the 94. Here is a picture maybe not the best but it could help a little?

The one end of the spring pulls the ejector back towards the frame. The other end of the spring touches the frame.

Of course the work I did on my 94 was easier because you can remove the grips.

Good luck,

roylt

Hunter
I guess I didn't answer you position question. I believe both "legs" of the spring point up and the one on the right wraps around the ejector to hold it back against the frame.

Ragdog

Bearcat
Hey thanks roylt - I appreciate the input.

The sear, blocker lever & spring (foreground in your photo)
look very similar to the P345. The ejector is the part you have
to push down & forward before you remove the slide, and is
configured differently on the P345.

I looked at the exploded view of the P90, and the ejector &
spring are quite different. On the P345, the spring leg to the
right side of the frame is 3/4" long, straight, and just does not
seem to have anyplace to live.

ragdog

roylt

Hunter
In my pic you can barely see the ejector spring but it has a bent leg that goes around the ejector. Does the 345 have this bent leg on the spring? I would think it has to but like I said never took a 345 apart.

If I get any free time I will do more research.

Good luck.

roylt

Hunter
Just leave the spring out. The mag will hold the ejector bracket in place.

Just kidding don't really do that.

Ragdog

Bearcat
HA! Very clever... leave the damn spring out. I love it.

Yeah, the long spring leg has NO hook or crook on it.
I'll call Ruger again tomorrow to see if they will tell
me anything. I would have just sent it in, but they will
not pay shipping (over a year old, about 75 rounds total
thru it / wages of procrastination).

They DID send me a new hammer pivot pin / no charge.

Thanks again for your efforts.

ragdog

roylt

Hunter
Well Ragdog, I figured it out. Looked at mine and it looks "easy". Yes I said LOOKS.

This is the same as the P95.

The legs point sraight down the mag well then you have to grab the middle section and pull it up over the ejector bracket. The center of the spring is what does the work. The long leg on the ejector just moves the sear.

Here are a couple pics but it is hard to see.

I just realized I don't have a picture of the top. But if you put the ejector and spring together on your bench you should see what I'm talking about. Maybe post the question again to the P95 guys. Same set up.

sixgun

Single-Sixer
FergusonTO35 said:
You don't hear much about the P345 around here. Anybody have long term/thousands of rounds experience with one?

I really don't know why? Don't have thousands of rounds thru mine, the hundreds I've shot so far have been flawless. Carry mine most of the time IWB crossbreed super tuck. IMHO it's one of the best carry 45's out there.

Side by side SR9 and P345 not much difference in size and weight. Why carry a 9mm when you can carry a 45. Grips similar too. I prefer the double action and safety over the striker fired SR9 as well.

True the SR9 has more rounds. If I need more than the 9 rounds I"m carrying plus a backup mag then I should be carrying a SMG with ammo vest in a war zone. :D

Ragdog

Bearcat
roylt P345 is different...
OK, talked to Ruger Tech... The spring legs should be pointing UP.
The long leg goes on the outboard side if the tab on the ejector. The
spring part between the two coils is across the OUTSIDE of the
ejector, pointing down. On installation (they slide the assembled
ejector up through the bottom of the mag well), the TAB on the
ejector goes behind the sear. Hope this helps someone else, too.

ragdog

roylt

Hunter
Can you post pics of the pieces on your bench before you put it together? I looked at my 345 and the 95 and they look the same to me? Both of mine are DC units if that matters but I don't see how it could in this area.

I wish I had the top down view to share. Maybe I'll take more pics tonight.

Let us all know how it turns out.

Ragdog

Bearcat
roylt -
I don't have a P95 manual, but if you look at the exploded view in the P345 manual, the ejector parts are #44, #45 & #46.
The "L" shaped tab on #46 goes in back of the sear (#43). I don't know if a foto would be more informative than the manual exploded view.
I just got this thing back together and I'm not too excited about taking it back apart for a foto right now.
Do those parts look the same in both the P345 and P95 manuals? I have a copy of all the other P-series pistol manuals, but not the P95.

Ragdog

Bearcat
roylt
That's a P95 Decocker manual that shows identical looking parts.
ragdog

roylt

Hunter
Glad it worked out. Can you do me a favor? I was looking at the 345 manual and there is some sort of trigger pin? Item 35 & 36. With the slide off will you take a picture of this and post please. I think mine are missing? What do you think these are for? Does that hold the trigger pin in place? And if it is spring loaded as it appears how do you hold it in place while reassembling.

Bought the gun used so...

Glad you got your unit back together.

roylt

Hunter
Maybe this pin pictured is inside the trigger and the pin holds it in place. I bet that is how it is.

But if you have the chance please post pic looking in the frame with the slide off.

Thanks,

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Sixgun, I would say one big reason the 345 doesn't sell so well is that its not a 1911. From what I can tell Ruger fans have never really embraced the 345. I remember it being one of the first Rugers that was designed to comply with the "safety" regulations of some states and that really PO'd alot of folks.

sixgun

Single-Sixer
FergusonTO35 said:
Sixgun, I would say one big reason the 345 doesn't sell so well is that its not a 1911. From what I can tell Ruger fans have never really embraced the 345. I remember it being one of the first Rugers that was designed to comply with the "safety" regulations of some states and that really PO'd alot of folks.

I understand why some are not happy with the mag disconnect and safety selector. Wish they had made a decocker only version without the mag safety. That model would sell for sure.
The P345 frame weighs nothing and close to the SR9 in size and grip. The slide is about the same size and weight too. That's what attracted me.
I removed my mag disconnect for reliability reasons. The safety doesn't bother me in fact I like it. I understand and accept full responsibility should a accident happen with children. I don't have any kids and use the gun for carry. I am the only one to use it.
I've been carrying my P345 nearly a year and love it. Even now in the summer months it works great with a loose shirt which I leave unbuttoned most of the time. I carry a extra mag in a black nylon pouch on my belt. I have a 1911 all steel 45 that I used to carry. I had to continually keep pulling my pants back up... :D

Ragdog

Bearcat
roylt -
According to the P95dpr manual, the trigger parts are different... it doesn't have those 2 parts. If you don't have manuals for your pistol, you can download them from Ruger... or, let me know and I'll pm them to you as an Adobe PDF file.
ragdog